Bad
Good

Everyone has been so nice and comforting to my son who has had a very traumatic 11 months. Thank you for taking care of him.

My children started here in 2016 after moving to the area. We were excited since its reported as a great school and education is paramount for our family. Unfortunately this school has failed again and again. Blaming our kids for walking off after being dismissed to the wrong parents, insisting on special education helper in class that do nothing to help, not updating the calendar so we never know when half days are, separating my children from others and treating them constantly like problem kids, to just being rude and nasty to myself and my husband for no reason. They consistently blame my kids for not listening or acting out, but offer no way to fix the issues. It's all about blaming anyone but the people in charge. I have been pulled aside over ten times in three months and scolded like a child for hiccups my children had during the day. Examples include not immediately lining up, not immediately putting down a paint brush when they were painting, not sitting still like a statue on the rug, scratching their back, having a disagreement with a friend, mispronouncing words, and not looking at the teacher while being spoken to. We are fed up. My kids are fed up. I feel like I'm failing them. The worst part was almost losing my kids because a teacher dismissed them to the wrong parents in a busy parking lot, that was the worst. Then they blamed my kids because they obeyed the teacher and walked off. I'm totally mistified how this school gets good reviews. I am constantly attacked by nasty employees making up random rules to yell at me. Example : Your only allowed to walk on the right side of the turnaround driveway. The school itself is dangerous for small children. On school tour I saw over ten areas where kids could fall or get hurt really easily. It's a waking nightmare. While the children seem to like their teachers, but classes are overcrowded and under sitimulated and full of blame. I feel bad sending my kids each day but we are forced to. My kids are on the charter school lottery, cross your fingers for them. Please. If you can - avoid this school, it's a disaster and the principal is nasty and mean. If you don't agree with their plans you are marked a problem parent and harrassed. They don't like younger parents with any voice/interest in their childrens education and certainly have no intentions of changing.

I am adding to my prior post in May of 2006. Now, my children will enter grades 1 and 4 in the fall. I am so happy with this school. My children are happy and have grown immensely with the opportunities the school presents. The new principal, Carrie Glenn, is very refreshing. She is very open to and satisfactorily addresses my concerns as a parent, has strict safety measures and a lively spirit. The curriculum challenges and drives students, yet they offer fun activities to keep students engaged and make learning enjoyable. Maria Clavin (music), Donya Kane (art)----extraordinary! What great effort ! The children and parents love the process and products of their work. Arts are appreciated. My children are great readers but never look forward to library. Improvements are needed. To give credit to exceptional teachers I know-P.Sweitzer, J.Lusk, M.Robinson, L. McLoughlin , M.Clavin, D.Kane. Thank you!

The building itself is old and outdated but clean and well maintained. Most teachers are quite wonderful and welcome parent involvement. The classrooms are 'open' meaning no closed doors but the kids get accustomed to it and everyone learns to respect their next door neighbors. Ms. Clavin, the music director is loved by all the kids and they put on the best shows! The kids shine! My three boys all did academically well and are all honor roll students at Wamsutta now. I have one more child now in the 4th grade. The principal of 25 years just retired and the new one is enthusiatic with fresh ideas. My experience with Hyman Fine was a positive one. All the teachers are wonderful but if you can get your child in Mrs. Lusk's class, it's sure to be one of your child's best learning experiences ever. High marks for Hyman Fine.

Last modified Hyman Fine Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.