St John The Evangelist School 2

Posted February 11, 2011
We had three children at this school. There are some phenomenal teachers and some others. Principal is entrenched and highly supportive of a certain few. This is a very small community, and the cliques here are horrible, particularly for girls (and some parents are write very nice reviews). If you want a good Catholic education, well, the Sisters have left the building: you might consider public school with a strong parish CCD program instead. And don't forget to go to church! Our kids are in public school now, and while they see more "issues" amongst the kids, the teachers are about the same, the politics are way, way less, and we are a lot safer at pickup time because we are less likely to get mowed over by a wild Lincoln Navigator or Lexus.

Posted July 10, 2009
My son loves this school and he enjoys learning much more than he did at his other school.

Posted June 13, 2009
St John's is unique gem in the area. The older comments in this review about lack of facilities, etc. are out dated. The school has great technology (smartboards, computer lab, etc), a fenced-in play area for recess, great teachers and a culture that challenges a broad range of student ability to be what they can be. If you are concerned with too much homework then it could be your priorities are different than most parents that are investing in their child's education at St. Johns. The School board is open. There are no barriers to participation, except your willingness . So older comments about the school being run by a small group of individuals from a few years ago is incorrect. I have two children that went through St. John's and a third still in the school. They are prepared fr life. I highly recommend it.

Posted August 25, 2008
St. John's is a great school. The teachers work hard to help students, the kids are nice, parents are greatly involved in school life and most importantly the school is safe and the kids have great potential to succeed. Kids are urged to help the public with recycling and donations. At SJS, your child(ren) make great friends and great grades. There are extracurricular activities and students that aren't succeeding get the help they need. Many kids that have graduated have came back and are succesfull in life. St. Johns prepares children for the outside world and makes it less scary. It is by far the best school on the North Shore, let alone Massachusetts.

Posted June 19, 2008
St. John the Evangelist school is rated one of the finest schools on the north shore. It is one of the few schools that cares for both those who need extra help and those who are ready for academic challenge. In both language arts and Math its students score well above national averages. My child has made excellent friends from good Christian families and I never worry when she asks to go to a friend's house. The teachers and administration are well educted dedicated and caring. My child's education might cost a little more, but it is worth every penny!

Posted June 19, 2008
With the school year coming to an end, I wanted to express my gratitude for another great year at St. John's School. I have two children at SJS and feel very fortunate that I am able to send them to a school where they receive an excellent education (academic & spiritual). The faculty and staff at SJS are an extraordinary group of individuals with dedication you won't find elsewhere. SJS has a great curriculum that challenges the students in each grade, but also allows for their own creativity. There are numerous extras at SJS on the academic front as well as extracurricular activities for the students if they so choose. I don't think I could ask for a better school for my children! The tuition is worth every penny. Karen McCarthy and her entire staff and faculty are phenomenal and deserve tremendous praise for making SJS the great school it is!

Posted April 23, 2008

St John The Evangelist School 0

Posted February 12, 2008
I have two children a St. John and can t wait until they graduate. The academics are good, my kids get straight 'A's and test a full grade head of their public school peres. At the same time the environment is completely uncreative and rigid. Great place if you want your children to become academic machines and not question or think for themselves. There is no patience for students requiring help of any kind and many teachers do not know how to stimulate, encourage or engage boys. Don t expect a lot of teachers involvement after school hours. The Principal Karen McCarthy is closed to input.

St John The Evangelist School 3

Posted November 05, 2007
- a former student
I went to this school for 9 years and honestly I don't feel like it was the right thing for me. Transitioning to the public high school was incredibly difficult after St. Johns. I had never been with so many kids before, never experienced changing classes, never left my friends, and it was all so much to handle. I was really, really sad for a few months before I adjusted. The St. John's environment is very cliquey. Some of the teachers are great but some are not. The food is good. There is not really a lot of after school activities. Basketball and cross country are really the only sports. Also, there is no playground for kids at recess, it's just a parking lot. That really bothered me when I was younger. Overall it was probably not the best choice for me.

St John The Evangelist School 1

Posted August 30, 2007
Some really dedicated teachers here, some of the best. Some seem burnt out. One classroom for every grade, very good if you like small schools. The alumni comments about money and bullying (below) are right on. Food is small in quantity, limited in selection, not very good in quality. School refers all 'problems' to outside counseling firm -- and the problems stay the same or get worse. Math is very strong, other subjects may vary. No nuns or brothers here -- run 100% by layteachers. If you are looking for a good Catholic education, I would recommend one with women religious (eg, Sisters of Notre Dame) or men religious (eg, Xaverian) running the show or at least involved -- these schools tend not to stray very far from their missions.

St John The Evangelist School
111 New Balch Street, Beverly, MA  01915
Last modified St John The Evangelist School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St John The Evangelist School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top