K-5 & Ungraded
Beverly, MA

Centerville Elementary 3

Posted August 08, 2012
I have 2 children at this school and overall I would say that, for a public school, it is probably better than average. The faculty, administration, and staff seem to care about the kids and the kids (including mine) seem to be pretty happy overall. I do think, though, that there are things that could be improved. Class time is not always spent productively. For example, the teachers sometimes show non-educational movies as a "reward." Even if one accepts the idea of showing a movie during school hours, why not at least show an educational movie? (the kids will still see it as a reward). In fact, I was surprised to learn from one of my kids that her class watched Mary Poppins (the movie) during class time shortly after spending several hours watching Mary Poppins the play performed by the 5th grade students. How is that a good use of class time? Also, communication about your child's progress is not consistent from teacher to teacher (some communicate a lot, some hardly at all) and the report cards don't offer much information about how your child is performing compared to his/her peers.

Posted September 16, 2009
They have an excellent staff, starting with the principal, that serves the needs of the individual student. They could use some additional funds to enhance their programs and possibly allow them some money to disseminate to the nation.

Posted September 18, 2008
A school is only as good as the people who run it. Personally, I am glad to see Mr. Foley go. He never once attended my child's IEP meetings, but his name was always on the attendance sheet. The comment a previous poster made about the 'snottiness' of the PTO hit the nail on the head! You see Centerville is not just the name of the school, it's also the name of the neighborhood, and if you don't live in that neighborhood, forget it. You wont be accepted. My child has been going to Centerville for three years, and never once has he/she been invited to go over anyone's house. I have volunteered my time in the library, and as room parent, but when I asked to volunteer in the classroom, the teacher looked at me like I had two heads! I don't think we will be returning next year.

Posted July 18, 2008
What a fabulous school; Centerville has an active parent group that funds many enrichment programs and field trips. The principal (who just retired) was great, a nice combination of child centered leadership coupled with strong discipline. The achievement of students is very high and as a whole the teachers are very caring and competent. The facility is kept up first rate by a very capable custodian. Our three children have thrived and succeed at Centerville.

Posted May 27, 2008
I am a parent of two students at this school. I must disagree strongly with people who say this is a 'snotty' PTO. I think that they are very welcoming and are always trying to get parents involved. As far as the teachers go, I have only had positive experiences. I wish I could say the same for the cafeteria staff, and one person in particular that is extremely unpleasant and shouldn't be working with children..Overall, I am very happy with the school.

Centerville Elementary 3

Posted February 18, 2008
I've read the previous reviews. I have 2 children still at this school. One already went through it and is now in high school. The school is great for the kids. They have a lot of enrichment programs and for the most part the teachers a good. There are a few teachers who really should not be teaching in a classroom. As for the PTO....and cliques....that is all true. The parent cliques here are very tight and it is difficult for an 'outsider' or a new person to get into a group of parents. They make you feel uncomfortable and are rather snotty. The school is great but the parents are far from wonderful. As for a community feel for this school, I would have to say that it is only a 'community' for a chosen few.

Centerville Elementary 5

Posted January 04, 2007
This is great school! If I have to choose again this will be the school that I want! It is new school, great teachers and parents. There is room for everybody if willing to help. The PTO is great and anyone that wants to help is welcomed to help.

Centerville Elementary 4

Posted June 15, 2006
I agree that the are definite cliques that have to do with the parents. I know of a few families that moved because if you didn't live in a certain nghbrhd, your kids weren't included in anything. The academics are great, but forget it if your child is behind. I was told 2 weeks before school got out that my daughter would need a reading tutor for an hour 5 days a week($50 an hour), though no mention was ever made before then to give her xtra reading help at school or even mention she was behind. She was also supposed to be screened for speech therapy at the beg. of the yr. but wasn't until the end of the year. The school we moved to screened her and put her in a reading group the 1st week of school. Would not Recommend Centerville.

Centerville Elementary 4

Posted April 06, 2006
Centerville gets the highest marks for educational environment and facility. The PTO is very active and provides funding for interesting field trips and other activities. The school seems to discourage parent volunteers and limits the areas in which they may assist (library, PTO). I would like to see more offered in the way of languages and after school sports.

Centerville Elementary 5

Posted August 29, 2004
I love this school! The teachers, staff and principal are all wonderful. I have 2 children in Centerville, one honor student and one special needs, both have received exceptional teaching. I love the diverse methods, and enthusiasm of the teaching staff. My children even make conections with everyday life and their school work (how exciting)! There is a very active PTO and tons of parent involvment in the classrooms. There are several enrichment programs and school wide events though out the year. There is a brand new building with nice big classrooms, big library, gym, music, and art rooms. I can't say enough about Centerville and all the wonderful people there who truely love what they do. Thank you!

Centerville Elementary
17 Hull St, Beverly, MA  01915
Last modified Centerville Elementary is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Centerville Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top