K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Five reasons why this school is outstanding and why we send our child to GUS. 1. Student to teacher ratio is amazingly low due to the co-teacher model. In addition, there are five other special subject teachers and the children attend these classes biweekly. I have observed extensive one-on-one teaching and each child is given individual mentoring and coaching. In addition there is time to attend to the all the students, encompassing their own unique developmental needs. 2. The schools policies are top notch - including safety, honesty, and respect for each individual. A super important and wonderful policy surrounds the use of technology. It is not relied upon to fill in due to lack of school resources, nor are cell phones allowed to be powered on by students within the school grounds. 3. A focus of the curriculum is on teaching kids to communicate and understand one another using honesty and empathy. The children have certain times of the week they focus on social and emotional growth and development. When situations arise that require attention, a great deal of effort is made to help children work out their own solutions with support. 4. Children learn to advocate for others and for themselves. The curriculum integrates time for learning to speak up for and stand up for those who need additional support. 5. A really special highlight is that our children learn to speak and perform individually and collectively in front of groups - ranging from their peers in small groups to assemblies in front of the entire school. Glen Urquhart School is a really great school!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

You will find NO bullying at GUS; certainly no bullying that persists beyond a matter of minutes... This is a huge priority, and the notion of bullying ends as soon as the students first become members of the community at GUS. It simply couldn't exist in GUS classrooms, nor on the playground, which is also a wonderful part of the students' education - playing!

Supports LD students: Agree

The administration, faculty, and staff at GUS do everything in their power to support students who need additional care in their learning. They work with parents and students however they can, and they go "outside the box" in clever ways to innovatively support the additional needs of their students. And if a child needs additional support that the school cannot provide, which is very rare but present in almost any public or private school, the caring folks at GUS will ensure that every child that walks through their doors finds what they need, either internally or externally, to continue their education.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Some individuals are naturally leaders and others prefer not to lead, but to support a community in other ways. GUS promotes the natural gifts of each child.

Develops character: Strongly agree

One of the very first things that struck my spouse and I when we visited GUS and met with some of the students was how calm but brave, and confident but humble they were. GUS promotes the independent thinking and speaking we want for our children. That first introduction to GUS students, all of whom we've grown to love as a community, was in stark contrast to what we often see and hear, particularly in the media. It is this sense of community expressed by the students themselves that I believe clinches the decision of many parents to enroll their children at GUS.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

GUS teachers have communicated extremely well during each year of our experience, and that's true for both of the teachers in the classroom. Their teaching methods are sound and innovative, and they are designed for the various ways in which our children learn; for example, my little girl may be a highly auditory learner while your son is more visual. Meanwhile, another parents children may learn best using a kinesthetic approach - in other words, more hands-on. GUS teachers understand this very well and address it while educating our children.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Regarding GUS's approach to homework, we hear a great deal about students getting TOO MUCH homework these days. However, I know parents and colleagues in education who are concerned that the homework students are required to do is either non-existent or inappropriate in one way or another. So, it depends where you live and where your children go to school, right? Well, GUS's pedagogical philosophy addresses these issues sensibly, and every teacher in each grade our daughter has been in has done a nice job of explaining his or her methods to us. We've been nothing but impressed.

We enrolled our daughter in Kindergarten at the Glen Urquhart School (GUS) after two wonderful years of preschool and a year of pre-K at the Fox Hill School in Danvers, MA. We thoroughly investigated each of the public and private school options in the vicinity of Beverly, MA, and got an immediate sense of community when we visited GUS the first time. A couple of the other schools had promise, but sadly we were let down in one way or another by each of our other favorites. That was the antithesis of our experiences when visiting, interviewing at, and communicating with GUS. With GUS, there was never a single "slip-up" (for example, in communicating with us) through the entire admissions process, and the sense of personal care was ever-present. Indeed, all GUS parents know that the school's success begins with the beloved Director of Admissions, Leslie Marchesseault (https://www.gus.org/about-us/faculty-and-staff) Both the "lower" and "upper" schools are run by highly knowledgeable administrators and staff when it comes to how children at various ages of development learn. I am an educator myself, and I'm involved with science education at the local and national levels. So I've studied and practiced pedagogy for decades, and I have been thoroughly impressed every time I have spoken to everyone at GUS, from administrators to faculty. They have a very wise philosophy of education overall. GUS makes parents WANT to be actively involved in their child's' life, and as parents we see the children/students grow from Kindergarten through 8th grade in a community of not only educators and peers, but in a wider community of families.

I made the decision to move my third grader from public school to GUS because I was looking for a more enriching environment for him. I was first impressed with the variety of experiences, from learning a language to the opportunities for practical learning through field trips. Once we made the transition I was even more impressed with the warmth of the community. In just a few months we have experiences such a strong sense of belonging. GUS is the whole package - strong, varied education and a true community experience.

I have two girls who are getting two very different experiences at GUS. One wanted to leave her previous school in order to be challenged more academically. The other was a child who could easily have floated through school undetected just as she would have liked. In such a small school the teachers make an effort to give extra challenges and more importantly there is time to study concepts in BREADTH with time for students to ask questions and explore within each concept. The curriculum based around social emotional growth is pivotal for both girls as the middle schooler feels her way through all the things that go along with that age and my younger daughter is learning to feel comfortable enough with herself and her peers to be daring academically. She is learning how to fail and feel comfortable/want to learn how to do it better the next time. The close connection between the teachers and every single student brings the commitment to academics to a much higher level for both the students and the teachers. It is a school that has a family/camp feel and everyone is just that much more invested in the experience. Beyond that, I have been incredibly impressed with the unique way they introduce math at all levels including first the concept then working on the process of crunching the numbers so that math first becomes an understandable concept to the children before they even more to the numbers. I like how there is emphasis on a diverse range of specials including dance, music, computer science, library, PE, art, Spanish, Latin, and maker space. The population of families at GUS makes me feel very grounded and I think the families that send their children are more focused on sending them there for the quality of the experience and education rather than the image of the school. The group of staff at GUS seem highly committed to not only the students but also to their own growth within the school so that they can provide the best learning experience possible for the students.

Last modified Glen Urquhart School is a Private school that serves grades K-8