PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted March 14, 2016
St. John has been a great place for our daughter in 4-year old kindergarden. Her teacher sends an email every week to the parents with what they are working on in the upcoming week. The class use the same curriculum as BPS and my daughter comes home telling us frequently about what she learned (it only takes a little prompting!) She really enjoys going to school every day. The afterschool program is also very strong -- the hours are good for working parents (until 6PM) and the extra activities (yoga, dance, drama, etc) are great. In our year at SJS we have not experienced any of the negative parent-cliqueness described in other reviews for what that is worth. That may have happened prior to Mrs. McLaughlin arriving (in 2012). The facilities do reflect the realities of being in a dense and historic urban neighborhood. It does not have the space a car-enabled suburban campus does. The gym for younger kids is small, but seems to work fine. I personally think having the kids play outside in and round North Square and in North Street Park makes them better understand how their actions fit with others.

Posted September 04, 2013
St. John School is a gem. It is a small, supportive, Christian, yet fully integrated racially, economically, ethnically. It provides a quality education and is staffed by terrific teachers who are compassionate and caring, as well.

St John School 2

Posted January 26, 2013
I am sorry to say that, yes, it's true, there is no gym (except for the little kids) and they DO play in street. Granted, it's blocked off and the kids are safe, but it is still playing the street. Yes, it's also true there is no healthy lunch program, however, there is pizza on Wednesdays. Having said all that, I think the new principal is wonderful and is adamant about bringing change (she's made several already), but I cannot waste my time (and money) waiting for the changes to take place. I wish the school luck, but it was not a good fit for our family. Some teachers are warm and caring, some are not. It's also very obvious that the same person wrote the last two reviews (see "This I have witnessed"). If you love the school the great, but don't lie about it.

Posted March 22, 2012
I can't believe the negative comments I'm reading about St. John School. These people have their own issues to grind and should not blame St. John's for their shortcomings. To say that the teachers are lazy and uncaring is just so untrue. They are very educated, caring and will go the extra step to help their students. This I have witnessed. All students from Gr6 - G8 attend great Parochial schools when they leave St. Johns. Boston Latin, Latin Academy, Boston College High School to name a few. So many alumni come back to thank their teachers for their dedication and guidance in helping them pave the way to a great future!!! It seems to me that these negative parents are more concerned about parent "cliques" and don't pay attention to the real focus of quality education at St. John School! The high schools that our graduates attend frequently write to the principal and teachers thanking them for sending our student to their school! If you have any doubts about St. John School, please call the school office and come in and visit with the principal and tour the school. Truly, you will see all the wonderful things and quality education that St. John's is offering!

Posted March 22, 2012
I am very saddened by the negative comments that some people have given to St. John School. I believe that these negative comments stem from their own private issues (parents cliques?) and have an axe to grind. They are not focusing on the quality education given to all students at St. John's. To say that the teachers are not compassionate, caring & understanding is so untrue...I find the teachers so well educated and caring, they will always take that extra step to give help to any of their students. This I have witnessed! St. John School is accreditated by the NCEA. Our standardized testing scores prove all the good teaching that is going on at St. John's. Most all students who graduate go on to accreditated parochial high schools, including Boston Latin, Latin Academy, Boston College High School...The principal and teachers receive many letters from principals from those schools thanking St. John's for sending them to their school. So many of our alumni come back to thank their teachers for paving the way to a great future. St. John School is now opening a full day 3 yr old program starting in September. Check out our website...Call the school and come in for a visit.

Posted March 21, 2012
Wow such nasty stuff being written about a solidly good school. There is a gym, and the kids go to the Nazzaro Center for gym, as do the Eliot students. No child has gym in the street...and as far as movies go, most are documentaries which culminate various genre of literature, i.e. Holocaust, the Renaissance, Black History Month, and many more.I don't find the teachers lazy....in fact hard workers who are underpaid...All in all a good Catholic school!

Posted March 20, 2012
What about the children who get into Latin School and top Catholic schools, and some on to Harvard, yes, Harvard! St John School provided the basics and more .We always have so many alums coming back and thanking us for all we instilled in them which also goes far beyond academics. It's very easy to criticize a school, but look at the facts- kids here do well in standard testing, exam school testing, and Catholic school high school exams. Too bad all that negativity....it is so poisonous and unfounded. It seems that some have personal axes to grind. If so, one needs to take a deep breath, and somewhere in the depth of their being ,begin to appreciate what a jewel this school is... give it a try!

Posted February 13, 2012
As a parent who has children enrolled in st. John school I must say what a wonderful school it is. I have read the negative reviews and I believe most of the information is extremely over exaggerated. I know parents who choose to send there kids elsewhere because they have to find something wrong with a school. The children have a gym at the school and do not play in the street. my kids do extremely well here and I feel very safe with my kids being here. the classrooms are not cluttered as with the local public school, (30 kids) so my children are getting the proper attention and learning they need. Many students have been accepted to great high schools such as: Boston Latin, Latin academy, newton country day...etc. I believe you get what you pay for.

St John School 1

Posted February 08, 2012
This school is by far the worst private elementary school you can find in Boston. The majority teachers are lazy (especially math), and the school is paying more attention to the raffles, fund-raise and "coffee time" for the parents. During the morning drop-off the same group of parents are blocking the entrance/hallway chit-chatting to accumulate traffic. Completely lack in communication with parents and teachers to request for the missing homeworks. But if there is something missing to pay(eg.candy sale) the school always find a fastest way to contact the parents. Some of the teachers puts TV on during the class time instead of other educational activities(eg. reading!). Almost every other week is half day and/or no class for students. Yes, it is an easy "A" school because it is not challenging; 7 grade students are still learning addition and subtraction! There is no cafeteria for healthy school lunch and no gym-students are playing on the streets during the gym class! Afterschool program is like a zoo and no one is there to help with children's homework. Just few blocks away there is Eliot school. Save your money and enroll your child there.

Posted October 26, 2011
First let me begin by saying not everyone will ever be 100% pleased with the school they choose for their children. There will always be the parent who thinks their child is better than the school and he or she can never be at fault for his or her actions or inactions. The school has stood the test of time for over 100 years. I was a student and I am now the parent of a student. I have no complaints about the education my son is receiving. My son studies hard and works hard in school. I am satisifed with his teachers thus far. They are fair and strict and that's how it should be. Four teachers have each been there well over 25 years and that is a testament to their commitment to educating. The upper grades lose kids to Latin every year. This is a credit to the education the children receive. I did not give my review 5 stars because doing so would indicate perfection and nothing is perfect.

St John School