No rating

Winsor School

Private | 5-12

Living in Boston

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $204,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

Posted February 20, 2014

Winsor is, of course, one of the top girls schools in the country. The matriculation list is astounding, SOME teachers are sooo overqualified, and all of the girls work extremely hard. As others mentioned, however, some parts of the staffing need some serious work. The math department, other than the fantastic Ms. Reynolds, is pitiful compared to the english and history departments. One teacher barely speaks english, one seems like teaching is the last thing he wants to be doing, and pretty much every teacher acts like they truly don't want you to succeed. I'm hoping the school takes the feedback it has gotten on the math department and steps it up. This is not a reason to go to a different school, but definitely something the school needs to work on.

Posted May 15, 2012

Great School! I love it there even though the academics are rigorous... it's an amazing environment to be in.

Posted April 23, 2012

I go to Winsor and it is such a great school! the academics are very rigorous and challenging but still very fun and enjoyable. You get a ton of homework but make amazing lifelong friends. Coming to Winsor was one of my best decisions! It is very well known for its outstanding college matriculation as well.

Posted March 17, 2010

I currently attend the Winsor School and I LOVE it! Everyone is so nice and the teachers are amazing! I have learned so many things that I will use throughout my life!

Posted March 11, 2010

I am a current student and the winsor school is giving me vital skills for life.

Posted December 28, 2009

Winsor is a good school. There is still lot of room for imrovement.They should try to make their math dept more stonger.Also the students can be given more homework.

Posted December 6, 2009

Winsor has a phenomenal reputation that it does not live up to in the middle school. My daughter although socially very happy hasfound the academics unstimulating and surprisingly rigid in their philospophy and teaching. I find the environment inhibitory to my daughters intellectual exploration. The academcs in the core subjects are no better than a very good public school system - Newton, Brookline, Wellesley etc. The extras like physical education, art, drama, and language are very well done and far exceed anything you would receive in a public setting. My daughter does not find the academics difficult although the sometimes rigid expectations and intolerant comments to alternate points of view can be. I understand that rigor improves in the upper school. The current administration really needs to improve the middle school dramatically.

Posted July 15, 2009

A Winsor education is the best thing you can do for your daughter. It opens doors that even a Harvard degree could not. It opens your mind to real life learning in addition to rigorous academics. I graduated 14 years ago and I hope to send my daughter there one day. It is the best education, and more importantly, a life opportunity for any young girl.

Posted July 8, 2009

I recently graduated from Winsor and truly adore the school. Winsor teaches students three things: the facts, how they can be spun, and how to over-analyze them. By graduation, most people have found a tolerable balance between the three.

Posted June 5, 2009

I can't say enough good things about this school - the faculty is amazing, the students are friendly and motivated, and the curriculum challenging and rigorous. Winsor truly deserves all its accolades.

Posted March 31, 2009

The mathematics department is average, at best. If you seek a stimulating math or science curriculum, you may be better served elsewhere. School can be clicky. They need to introduce more AP choices and allow for acceleration of highly able students to remain competitve. If you crave a small single gender school for your daughter (and this is your main criteria), this can be a good choice.

Posted March 25, 2009

I go to winsor and I absoulutley love it! Its the best place to be-you feel not only comfortable but happy too!

Posted February 23, 2009

best education in the east coast, probably the country. great college admission. warm, loving, engaged environment.

Posted January 24, 2009

I really love Winsor. I am currently enroled in classes there, and I can't find many faults. Although a previous comment states that 9th grade is the best time to apply, I disagree. I came in 5th grade, when everybody was new, and I made some very special friendships. In 9th grade, only ten new students are accepted, and even though it's fairly easy to make new friends, I don't think it is the same as being with the same people from before highschool started.

Posted January 6, 2009

My advice to prospective students is: Wait until 9th grade to apply here. You can get the same ducation at a good public school in grades 5-8 (Lower). Beginning in 9th, the school takes the girl's education more seriosuly. That's when they deep six the empty, liberal, 'diversity' agenda for real learning, IMO.

Posted September 9, 2008

I am a recent graduate of Winsor, and I cannot say anything but great things about this school. Initially, I was skeptical, and only went to Winsor because my parents made me. But over the next seven years of my life, I grew to love Winsor. It is hard for me to explain in words how fondly I look back on my days there. I thank Winsor every day for preparing me for the workload at college. I go to Northwestern University now, and I can honestly say that in some classes, the work is more difficult at Winsor. But beyond academics, this school has taught me so much about friendship, trust and love. My friendships from Winsor are ones that I know will last a lifetime. Out of the 58 girls in my class, there was not one that I didn't consider my friend.

Posted July 24, 2008

My Winsor experience varies greatly from the other reviewer. Winsor is inconsistent with applying knowledge to their students---as the teaching staff is so inconsistent. There are some great teachers and then some that are 'so-so'. In my exerience, it is not so academic as it comes off--the school has been mostly easy for my daughter and not very tolerent of differences, unless we are talking about etnhic/cutural background differences--and then they are very tolerenat and supportive. I guess it is not clear exactly what Winsore is looking for!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 15% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAIS
  • NCGS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

103 Pilgrim Road