Boston Latin School

Public | 7-12 & ungraded | 2352 students

Posted June 11, 2009

Best School that my child can possibly go to. The homework that they do can be hard and stressful but that is only for the good of the students. Boston Latin School is the best school you can go to for college preparation.

Posted April 11, 2009

Best school I can ever imagine, the workload can be stressful, but is overall an amazing place to be, and I am so happy to go there. I actually enjoy my time there.

Posted March 30, 2009

I'm a seventh grader in this school and it's the best, i know we can't really judge since we're only 'sixies' but i think that it will be very beneficial for me. My teachers are great, though some of them push us very far and gives us work sometimes over our limit, but i think that that's the whole point of this school, to push you to greater heights. And, according to the other people who have reviewed this school, it is in fact very good. Also, the people that go to this school may not be the best, but as long as you bite your tongue and not get in HUGE trouble, your life in this schoolwon't be bad..i think...Good school.

Posted March 22, 2009

I am a senior graduating this year and I, of course, am suffering from the dreaded 'senioritis'. This school pushed me to and above my limts. Any student in 7th grade honestly can't judge the school, without even having been there for a complete year. I don't even think you can judge the school well after being there for three years. Not until you are graduating and after you leave do you actually realize what the school has done for you. Of course it's not perfect, some of the people there aren't great, including teachers, but that's life. The school is one of the best performing schools in the nation, and there's a clear reason behind it. I've been there for six years, and though I had wanted to leave the school from seventh to ninth grade, it pains me to think that it's actually happening. Oh Nine!

Posted March 17, 2009

I currently attend Latin as a Freshman (third-year) and the school overall is really not as bad as some say. The teachers: some can be really good and others... well, other teachers *can*, in fact teach, but not in a way that is as beneficial to the student as they think it is. The Guidance staff: They're all really supportive and can really help you when your grades start to fall or you just need to talk to someone. The students: mostly, the other students are in the same shoes as you are: maybe scared, maybe a 'slacker' but most definitely brilliant. Some can be somewhat obnoxious but that is just their nature. The overall education: you learn so much more than at other schools. You are working at an accererated, yet more in-depth pace. Generally, it is hard for some to catch on but you'll eventually get the hang of it.

Posted March 8, 2009

I am a 7th grade student here and i dont like this school at all. The work is too hard and too much. I have become lazy ever since i went to this school

Posted January 22, 2009

The school has great academics and an established track record with colleges and future employers. Also the alumni are very organized in networking. They give millions to the school every year, which is unheard of in any other public school in the country.

Posted January 20, 2009

I graduated from Boston Latin last year, and I think it more than prepared me for college. I've found that I am better able to do long papers (10+ pages) than some of my classmates, and I managed to place out of many classes thanks to the APs I took there. I also had the benefit of having an amazing guidance counselor with whom I still keep in touch. However, the school is not without its faults. Some of the teachers are past their prime and yet do not want to retire because a position at Latin is very cushy in comparison to other schools in the city. There are also less privileges than other high schools (no senior privileges, such as being able to come late if you have a study first period or leave early if you have one last period).

Posted January 11, 2009

I am curently going to this school and I have to say its great! Sure, it's challenging and keeps up pass 12 o'clock in the morning, but its all worth it.

Posted December 5, 2008

Some great, dedicated teachers make up the good features of Boston Latin. Many in the English department take the time to give students extensive writing practice. And a great new headmaster arrived in 2007. But a majority of the teachers are less impressive, some even awful. That fact, combined with the large classes caused by Boston School budgets bring the school's rating down for me. Large classes meant a constant emphasis on classroom discipline and a culture in which students bonded together in the face of adversarial adults. The new headmaster seems to be out to change that, though.

Posted November 7, 2008

I am a student at BLS (Boston Latin School) I guarantee you that there is no better school in America. This schoolis an amazinbg place with so much hstoryand you can be sure that if your child applies himself or herself they will be one of the most succesful people in the whole country. With over 2000 students your child will make friends. The teachers are excellent and provide support and help. The guidance counselors are your friendws for life. People say that Boston Latin School might be too hard or that they do not wish to enroll their children there becasue of it but remeber this the only thing that is difficult about BLS is organization and if your child has organization skills they will go to an Ivy League school with a free scholarship and have a ridiculously succesful life to follow. -10th grader returning from 9B year.

Posted November 6, 2008

prepare you for college; actually more intense than college.

Posted August 20, 2008

I went to Latin, there is no other to compare. You do not go there for the coursework or the history. You go there for your fellow students, who at a tender age will sacrifice anything to become better and stronger. We all suffered, bonded like brothers, and endured all of it. Sure you can go to a private school that delivers the same kind of education, but you can't find a better school that builds these kind of friendships and builds the type of character that has endured almost 400 years. Nothing cannot break this bond.

Posted June 12, 2008

I love this school!!!! I am currently a sixie (7th grade) and i love it here you meet so many people and the teachers are so good and understanding, There are so many clubs ans sports, and the library is really nice! The only thing though is you always need to be sure of everything the teachers teach, so ask questions, i learned that the hard way. Overall if you get into this school fo to it!!!!

Posted June 26, 2007

I am immensely proud of being able to call myself a Boston Latin School graduate. Keep in mind I graduated in the lower quarter of the class. Though I did not graduate from Boston Latin School with the best grades, I did graduate as a better person than I would have been had I attended any other school. The competitive environment that BLS is famous (and infamous) for drives can steer you down the right path or the wrong path. If you have faith in your (or your child's) morals, then this school will make you (or your child) a great person and in turn, your child will make some wonderful friends, as I have in my six years. Attending the number one school doesn't mean you have to be number one. You draw your own lessons. I did and I'm glad I spent the last six years where I did.

Posted June 18, 2007

I was a student at Boston Latin, and it is a school, where you cannot stay if you do not preform well in it's classes. There is a good amount of classes, the parent support is ok, but you will not survive there if you do not have a high GPA. For a school with history of famous graduates, I would expect a lot better than what it's labeled as.

Posted August 12, 2006

Boston Latin, like any high school, has its faults, but it is without doubt a topnotch school that prepares students academically and socially. Yes it does have a competitive and stressful environment, some less-than-average teachers, and little hand-holding for those left behind, but students grow fast as a result and learn to deal with many situations they'll encounter later in life. For those who are willing to work hard, Latin offers a rigorous curriculum (most AP classes offered in state), a wide array of clubs and activities, and a diverse and talented student body. Those who succeed at Latin certainly won't be overlooked by top colleges - especially Harvard.

Posted July 17, 2005

This is the greatest school on earth. My son is going to H arvard.I think the principle is great,the teachers,sprots programs,parents are great,so is the safety and dicipline.

Posted June 15, 2005

No other high school could have equipped me better for coursework at Princeton and balancing academics and extracurriculars. BLS has an excellent tutoring program (Saturday Success School) and teachers who are ready to provide explanations outside of class. Students take part in a variety of extracurricular activities, or start their own clubs and programs. If anything, the competition we take on at BLS has brought us closer. And as for breeding elitism, we have a great deal to be proud of: discipline, resourcefulness, distinguished accomplishments, as well as the ability to master even the most stressful situations. Not only is it possible to enter BLS with nothing but an enthusiasm for learning and go on to a top university -- plenty have done it. No great achievement is possible without challenges, and achievement is impossible if standards are ever lowered. Attending Boston Latin School is the best decision I ever made.

Posted May 3, 2005

This school has challenged me in ways that I have never been pushed before. A lot of people try to knock down the school by saying that the competition ruins the academic aspect of the school, but the opposite is true in this school. As a member of the Class of 2006 yes I have had my ups and downs but thats what one would expect with any high school. The competition in the school helps students develop skills they will need later on in life. If a student is not willing to participate and socialize with anyone of course the parent will think negatively of the school. The competition within in the school is the motivation that is needed for many (such as myself) to do their best. Social cliques are part of any high school. One does not have to follow them to enjoy the school. Sumus Primi!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

394 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Male98%

Economically disadvantaged98%
Not economically disadvantaged95%
Title I96%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Male99%

All Students100%
Not economically disadvantaged100%
Title I100%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 65% in 2013.

Introductory Physics

The state average for Introductory Physics was 63% in 2013.

Tech/Engineering

The state average for Tech/Engineering was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System Science and Technology/Engineering Tests (MCAS STE) to test students in high school in biology, chemistry, introductory physics and technology/engineering. The MCAS STE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Biology

Asiann/a
Multiracialn/a

Tech/Engineering

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Massachusetts. Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1869

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts from the state of Massachusetts.

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of 11th graders taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 29% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A35%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

78 Ave Louis Pasteur