Boston Latin School

Public | 7-12 & ungraded

Posted April 26, 2014

This school is incredibly stressful, but it can help you get into your dream college.

Posted February 15, 2014

.7th grade is going to be rough. 8th grade is weird because you would think that it gets harder, it actually is easy.Eighth grade does a mediocre job of preparing you for ninth, so be prepared!I you can get some crazy teachers. If you slack off the slightest bit, probably you will get Cs/Ds. I work hard, get mostly Bs.YOU are applying for a school which is going to require nothing but studying.There are moments when you just wanna give up. But the way I figure it, couple of hours of harsh studying is better than years regretting that you never took advantage of this school. Believe me when i say that if you are not ready for this commitment, I DONT CARE HOW SMART u THINK YOU ARE, , tell ur parents u cant go 2 this school! cus if you do, i can guaruntee you its going to eat you out alive if you dont study. Ive seen people that have literally become depressed after coming here because they couldnt make it.5 stars because its a stimulation of life, for example,In life there are going to be unreasonable bosses/(like some teachers). Btw,You cannot fiight the teachers, no matter how unreasonable they might be, you WILL lose.Take my advice, its the reality no one told you.

Posted February 8, 2014

The school is a great school overall for a learning environment. I am a sixie currently and there are good and bad things at this school. To start with the downsides, not all teachers are good. My earth science teacher doesn't have a really good teaching style so it might be a bit hard for students to learn. Personally i don't like declamation but it will be good for the future. The fact that there are no yellow school buses is also a pain but you could understand since the school is located in such a busy area. Homework usually takes a while, usually 4 hours for me but I tend to procrastinate a lot. There's also a lot of tests and quizzes, at least one per week. Latin is also pretty hard to get use to but all you need to do is memorize really. Some good things about this school is that the offer fun opportunities too like the sixie icecream social. They also offer a large range of instruments to take, or theatre if you don't want to take an instrument. There's also teams and clubs to join just like any school. Teachers also know the pain that students must go through and are really nice and like to joke around with students. It's a great school if you get accepted.

Posted October 23, 2013

Let me lay it out for the first two years.. Sixie year is going to be fun if you socialize but no when to pay attention and when to have fun. Pay attention to your teachers because the finals are extremely hard. Some teachers are better than others in there discipline, some honestly don't care. You MUST pay attention in Latin, no matter who your teacher is. Same in math, because it gets WAY harder in 8th grade. Don't stress out on sixie year, its more of a trial of what BLS is really like. If you don't immediately think you can succeed, BLS is not for you. 8th grade year is the same but you have to pay a lot more especially in Latin if you have Ms. LeDang, she is extremely hard. So if you had Mr. Smith sixie year, good luck. Other than that 8th grade is more to prepare you for high school than anything else. Make sure you do all your homework, whether the teacher checks it or not. Class is fun if you have a good sense of humor, the teachers may tease you but it's not anything you should take personally. Good luck!

Posted July 26, 2013

My experience at Boston Latin School has been 99% positive in terms of the people I have met, classes I have taken, and activities I did in those 6 years. Let me discuss the pros and cons of this school: Pros: 1. Definitely prepares you well for college. My fellow alumni and I all say that college is a lot easier (compared to what our college classmates say) 2. The people you meet at Latin are from all socio-economic classes, so there's never any arrogance in terms of $. 3. Lots of activities 4. MANY, but not ALL good teachers. 5. No bullying-- Since BLS is an exam school, most of the kids here are geared towards studying. I have not witnessed any bullying through my 6 years there. 6. Awesome colleges! 40 kids each year get into top 20 universities in the nation! Cons 1. Little personal attention 2. Lack of athletic facilities 3. Lack of funds in general (hey, it's a public school) 4. FEW-SOME bad teachers that either can't teach or are just crazy altogether Overall, I loved my experience at BLS. For me, the transition was tough, but hanging in and not giving up was more than worth it!

Posted July 25, 2013

I appreciate Boston Latin School for all the opportunities it offers, in terms of internships, jobs, programs, and fellowships. I also appreciate the school for the wide variety of students there are to meet- it's very diverse! I do, however, feel that the school is emotionally and mentally draining. Sure, it offers an excellent education, but the administration and teachers don't realize that it's important to change the style of teaching. It's now 2013. Constant tests and quizzes are not the only way to measure a student's learning. Studies show that more work piled onto students put them at a risk for depression. You get a sense that you must conform to society's standards, or else you're screwed. Bring up feminists and civil/human rights, you get sneers. Students lose creativity.There's no in between- you either get students who hate BLS and aren't doing so well, or students who get 100s on everything. Teachers know their material, but don't know how to teach. The math department is awful. There is little to no support offered to students who are struggling, and those who are struggling are often scared to ask for help because of the intense atmosphere that lives around them.

Posted October 11, 2012

This school is a meat grinder. If you are brilliant but have the slightest tendency to 'color outside the lines' Don't Go Here. The administration at this school understand that there's a line of kids waiting to take the place of any student who 'opts' to leave, and they will accommodate to degree zero to help a struggling student, though they do lip service to tutoring - just a way for older students to beef up their college application resumes with 'community service'.

Posted September 25, 2012

If you are determined, a hard worker, and know how to manage your time, this school will be one of the best experiences in your life!

Posted August 10, 2011

My son will be a 9th grader at Latin this fall, and my husband went there years ago. There are many things I love about Latin---the traditions, the active clubs and most of all the students. My son has met interesting talented kids from all over the world and made many wonderful friends, and my husband still is close with so many of his friends from his Latin days. However, I must say the academics are not what I expected. My other son attends a charter school, and has much more homework and is learning much more than my Latin son. The teachers are hit or miss---some are fantastic, some are so bad it's laughable. Overall, Latin is a fantastic experience, but not for everyone. It's a huge school, and if you have a child who would easily get lost in the shuffle, I'd pick someplace else. But if you have a fairly outgoing child, a self-starter who will enjoy being around the bunch of interesting characters there, it's a unique and amazing school.

Posted March 28, 2011

Warning from a parent who has been part of BLS for 6 years. If your child has ANY learning, organizational or emotional weaknesses then DO NOT choose this school. The large and inpersonal setting of this school will damage your child. No matter how smart they are, they will not do well academically, because there is little SUPPORT and UNDERSTANDING. Choose a smaller pilot, charter or private school and allow your child to get good grades instead of scraping by and being damaged emotionally and academically.

Posted March 27, 2011

If you don't work hard, and you aren't used to hours and hours of homework and schoolwork and you procrastinate a lot, don't go to BLS. I'm an eighth grader andused to get straigh As, once I got to BLS I started failing half my classes. I am very social and during sixie year I paid more attention to my friends then schoolwork which was a mistake, because I had to go to summer school. Procrastination will KILL you at this school, its very demanding and has extremely high expectations. If you want to do well, don't slack off. This year I'm working much harder but I'm failing algebra because I don't understand the material. I might have to switch schools if I keep failing. It's a fantastic school and I love the people there, but the teachers aren't always great. IF you're lucky you'll get a good teacher but sometimes you won't and you'll have to work extra hard. It's very competitive so don't bother going if you aren't willing to work harder than you ever have

Posted March 13, 2011

I took the ISEE this November and my whole family has gone to Boston Latin. Even though I see my cousin come home everyday with a workload of homework, I am still dieing to go to Boston Latin. I will find out during this week. I have heard that the teachers really push you to do ur best and thats what i really need since I will be starting in 9th grade if I hopefully get in. And Support from the teachers is honestly going to help me become better. I am aiming to stay on the High Honor Roll and I know Boston Latin School will push me to be my best. I am honestly very nervous b/c last time i got into Boston Latin Academy( 6th Grade) but this time I studied for the test AND i have high honors so I hopefully got into it: this just shows how more challenging it is then other schools; you have to take a challenging test to get in. I HONESTLY hope I get into BLS. It is my first choice of school because it will push me to do better and help me throughout my years. =]

Posted October 25, 2010

Boston Latin School was a huge step up in quality from previous schools that many of my friends have attended. The programs are more challenging due the a "filter"effect from the initial test you take. I personally felt enviromentaly safer at this school, because for once, i was not called a nerd and picked on for being smart, but was appreciated for it.

Posted October 13, 2010

Because it challenges the kids, and then allows them to follow up

Posted October 9, 2010

The country's oldest public school offers outstanding academics and an environment and philosophy that inspires kids to succeed and be their best.

Posted January 11, 2010

The school is easy if you're aiming for B's without doing any extra-curricular's such as clubs, music, or sports. If you choose that path, ask yourself, why did I take the test in the first place? Seriously, its no better than any old suburban school if you don't use the resources there. Take advantage of their programs (yes, even our infamously terrible sports teams are worth joining). If you just get C's and go home everyday, you won't feel welcome and you're just wasting a spot which so many determined people wanted and didn't get. And advice for kids coming in: Get a social life, fast, because you need support from friends. It might seem stupid but I didn't know anyone coming in and once I started making friends, I flourished. Life is easier when you have people to talk to besides your family.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 4, 2010

I may be just an eighth grader but i do know this so far: this school is the worst school you can ever go to if you are planning to just slack off the whole....because there will be consequences and you will get some kind of repercussion if you do something wrong. If you dont do homework you get detention, if you lose a book you have to pay for it, and if you dont work hard enough you will get held back. However, if you do try hard and work hard you will see it as very easy once you get used to it, and lets face it you will have a much better future. I have some of the dardest and strictest teachers, and personally i think that that isnt very good for my education because you will focus more on not liking the teacher. Its a bg deal2.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 16, 2009

This school is challenging, yes. It is a great school, where even sixies (7th graders) are treated like the scholars that they are. There is a lot of support available and they really want the students to succeed. That is our experience, at least.

Posted October 2, 2009

The culture of competition and the extent of stimulant use is not good.

Posted September 21, 2009

I love Boston Latin because it is the oldest school in the country. They providea great education for free and they have a wonderful chorus.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

394 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2013.

367 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

366 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Male98%

Economically disadvantaged98%
Not economically disadvantaged95%
Title I96%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Male99%

All Students100%
Not economically disadvantaged100%
Title I100%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 65% in 2013.

Introductory Physics

The state average for Introductory Physics was 63% in 2013.

Tech/Engineering

The state average for Tech/Engineering was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System Science and Technology/Engineering Tests (MCAS STE) to test students in high school in biology, chemistry, introductory physics and technology/engineering. The MCAS STE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Biology

Asiann/a
Multiracialn/a

Tech/Engineering

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Massachusetts. Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1869

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts from the state of Massachusetts.

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of 11th graders taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 29% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A35%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

78 Ave Louis Pasteur