Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have had great experiences with the teachers in the school. The teachers each have their different style of communication, however all are willing to meet and discuss questions/concerns at any time. All that we have encountered thus far, in grades K2-2nd, have been caring, approachable, and genuinely interested in my child's education.

Amount of homework: Agree

There isn't always a standard approach to homework between the different classes. The parents/teachers are discussing to make sure there is some understanding of expectations and an outlet for discussion if there are concerns.

The principal at the school is incredibly engaged and forward thinking. She knows what her goals are and works with the resources she has toward achieving them. The parent council is also very active and a great resource for parents trying to navigate through the school issues. I've noted the comments about the secretary - which may be fair, but not enough to give this school a negative rating. The teachers and staff are caring and ready to work with parents to ensure that their children are being educated in a manner that works best for them and have a sense of pride and community in their school.

The Secretary threatened to call the police on me because I was late picking up! (2nd x) Wait. Huh?why? No one from the school CONTACTED me or anyone on the EMERGENCY contact. Her teacher didn't call, I called her cell at 3:46pm and then this UNKNOWN PERSON gets on the phone very rude and aggressively, threatening me with "calling the police"No one called ME! NO one called GRANDMA, OR AUNTY. Who are you lady? (I still dont know who she is and why her teacher put her on the line to direspect me Why would you call the POLICE and not MOM 1st! I do not sit well with THREATS or this INDIVIDUAL! This lady has a personal agenda. I hate to do so, but filing a complaint with the superintendent due to her misconduct is a MUST. I hope the headmaster reads this and makes some changes.

Worst school ever! Teachers/staff do not communicate with parents nor do they respect parents! The lady at the front desk is very rude and unprofessional! Dont believe me? Just call (617-635-8131) and she'll answer. Or go by and visit. She's the lady who'll buzz you in! She threatened to call the police on me because I was late picking up! (2nd x) Wait. Huh?why? No one from the school CONTACTED me or anyone on the EMERGENCY contact. Her teacher didn't call, I called her! No one called ME! NO one called GRANDMA, OR AUNTY. Why would you call the POLICE and not MOM! I do not sit well with THREATS or this INDIVIDUAL! Replacing her for someone more pleasant and professional would be great Start! I hate to do so, but filing a complaint with the superintendent due to her misconduct is a MUST. I've already registered for a transfer. I hope the headmaster reads this and makes some changes.

This school has a high retention rate ...the student is only as good as the teacher retentention does not cure ignorance. .there is to many students and not enough teachers .....why?

Teachers in non-inclusion classes seem really burned out, and regularly miss almost half the days (they have a lot of sick and personal time!) The assistant principal is awful and doesn't seem to like children, but the principal herself seems fairly on top of things. Overall, unimpressive. I'm working on getting my kids out of there. Redeeming qualities include extremely affordable before and after school care if you can get off the wait list, free lunches (that's any school in BPS), racial diversity, and some dedicated teachers in the inclusion classes.

The Charles Sumner Elementary is one of the best schools of Boston. The teachers really care about the kids and go above and beyond to help your child get to where he/she needs to be academically.

Our granddaughter just finished up her 1st year in K2 and had a wonderful experience, Her teachers really helped her to overcome her shyness and brought out the best in her. We were very pleased at the progress she made in this multi cultural environment.

This is a great school! Students and Parents are saying great things. Over the last three years they have made great progress on the state testing. The administration is no nonsense and have high expectations for academics and behavior.

Last modified Sumner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.