Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I have had some minor incidents with my daughter receiving some bullying. I found that her teachers have been Very receptive to my concerns and have taken mutually agreed upon steps to fix the situations.

Supports LD students: Agree

I can't speak from personal experience, but have noted that within my daughter's class, the students are at different levels of reading, or in many cases, at different levels of speaking English. I have noted that attention to each child's level is addressed.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

In K2 and 1st grade, my daughter had homework that reinforced what was learned that day. I felt that the amount was just right for such a small person. I especially appreciated the succinct assignments when it was decided the school day would be extended further (by about 40 minutes) because, often, my daughter would be exhausted. I also had heard from a good friend, who's daughter went to another EB school, that the homework was hours long. I don't agree that a lot of homework is the best approach... this happened to have more basis in reality than just my opinion. This 2016-2017 school year, the 1st and 2nd graders, are required to read for 20 minutes everyday, with occasional one-page homework. This change in homework is based on evidence-based studies that more homework does not necessarily improve outcomes, according to the teacher I spoke to. As a nurse who knows the value of evidence-based studies, I am glad that the faculty are exploring and putting into effect current research.

Starting with Principal McCarthy all the way down to K1, I have been very impressed with faculty's attention and advocacy for the children. Any issues I have had, have been immediately addressed and I feel I can bring any issue forward and will be satisfactorily met. The teachers are amazing in that the ensure the classroom atmosphere is warm and inviting, inclusive, and individualized according to the student's needs. They utilize a Fundations program from kindergarten on, that is very impressive in helping the kids to read. I am happy about the stamina of the 2nd grade teachers this year because they have made a concerted effort to arrange field trips for the kids--a goal of "one per month[!]" I would recommend this school because they provide ample physical education (3x per week), art, music, and theater. The student body is diverse and the school emphasizes community, tolerance, and respect. My only complaint would be that they do not go through the 8th grade. Perhaps something can be done about that... :)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Excellent leadership not just in the principal but in the teachers that volunteer themselves to continue the growth of the school!

We selected the Guild Elementary school for our daughter after visiting every school in the East Boston area and even a few private schools. The staff we met were all engaging, energetic, and passionate about the students' learning. The school provides a well rounded curriculum, engaging the students not just in Standardized subjects (ELA/Math) but also in arts, music, physical education, and drama! Our daughter loves the school and has shown amazing growth in reading and writing within the last 3 months. We are so happy with our choice!

So far, I have been very pleased with this school. My son is finishing up kindergarten, and he had a very calm, patient and understanding teacher. My 1st positive inclination, I had made the right choice, was after only a couple days after he started school, the principal called him by name while saying hello. He knew all the kids names. It was a small thing, but meant a lot to me and it was proved to me over and over, how caring the teachers and other staff were for the kids. Very involved.

Last modified Guild Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.