Boston, MA

James Condon Elementary School 2

Posted February 01, 2015
This school was and I believe, still is very mediocre. I was a student there from kindergarten to fifth grade and there were only a few teachers that I believe were amazing at their jobs. I believe that a few of them have left, which is a shame but oh well. The only thing I ever really remember missing is a few of my classmates. One of the main problems was how the school worked. If you ever had opposing opinions to what someone said, especially of someone with a higher authority, they'd instantly label you as a student "talking" back, or someone with an attitude. We never were really allowed to speak our minds and we were barely taught anything, honestly. They have a program called the AWC (Advanced Work Class) and it's very pretentious. They all put you in a class based on knowledge but our motivation to learning things are never considered. I was put in that class and I was motivated to learn stuff, be curious, etc. but the majority of my peers honestly didn't care. Most of them, not to mention, acted extremely elitist to other people. What was considered "advanced" was information that we were supposed to know and "proficient" was below average. This is basically the gist of it

Posted May 02, 2014
Academically, they didn't challenge my daughter or teach her anything (new). For the two years that she was there, the material remained the same; therefore my child wasn't learning at her grade level. I complained that they weren't agressive enough with the curriculum or homework; they in turn tried to give more for about two weeks then go right back to the same worst way of teaching. I couldn't wait to get my daughter our of there. The principal and teachers called about everything instead of trying to resolve small problems on their own. In my opinion, they favored certain kids and believe it or not, children pick up on that and feel they aren't worthy. I have never been so dissatisfied with a school. My daughter is at a different school now where she has excelled and been on the honor roll since in her 3 year tenure there. I am so very proud of her! I will NEVER recommend the Condon School to anybody. I do hope they change their curriculum and treat the children fairly in the future.

James Condon Elementary School 5

Posted September 08, 2013
This is a GREAT school and has great teachers and programs for the children of this school. Not many schools still have a music program, Dance program, Swimming, before and after school athletics ( yes in elementary )and Mentors that actually WANT to come and help the students. I have been a Condon Parent for 3 years now and I am shocked that the school has such a low rating and some of the reviews are absolutely untrue. My child loves the school and has not had 1 teacher that she didn't like. I am a pop up parent and not one time did I come in was it not upto par. They have an open-door policy and I can also communicate with the staff via email or by calling them when ever I need to. I am hoping the school goes up to 8th grade as I am not looking forward to finding another school in a few years!

James Condon Elementary School 5

Posted September 07, 2012
i went to school there 6 years ago and now im off to college if it wasnt becuase of their amazing teachers i wouldnt be so good with english.I would most deffinetly recomend this school.

Posted April 08, 2011
Condon is a shame of what education is meant to be. The superintendent of Boston school system needs either close it or change the principal. The staff mainly use the students to raise money for social causes than seriously teaching the children. To any parents who still have children in Condon school, you will not realize how seriously your children future is being compromised over there until you transfer your children to another school. Condon school is a total waste of Boston city taxpayers' money.

Posted August 30, 2010
my friend went to this school and he liked it very much. but i dont think it is very good. but alot of people tell me that the school is very good. so ima see how it is for ma baby cuin.

James Condon Elementary School 3

Posted July 13, 2010
I participate in a volunteer program where I read to a 3rd or 4th grader once a week during the school year. The principal, Ms. Garofalo, is an amazing woman! She wants so much for every student in the school to get the best resources and education possible. After budget cuts, the librarian was let go- but students are still able to take out books from the library (some schools in the city no longer have a library- so sad). From my experiences, things run smoothly at the school. The teachers I've met seem to have the childrens best interest in mind and genuinely care about their students.

James Condon Elementary School

Posted October 03, 2009
My kids went to this school and it had a program that interacted the handicapped children with the non handicapped children and I think that it was something that every child should experience. It gives them a sense of accomplishment and that just because they are different does not mean they are to be treated differently.

James Condon Elementary School 3

Posted August 04, 2007
Academic strengths are the teacher's willingness to follow goals set by BPS. The teachers will do what the principal says even if it is not in the best interest of the children's academic growth; the academic weakness is lack of academically (literate) strong teachers. I have had to send back homework papers and parent notices that were either ambiguous or grammatically incorrect. Parent involvement is there, however it would be stronger if some of the returning parents made the new parents feel welcomed and did not want to control the meetings so much. Also when entering the office I have never seen the staff smile or greet children who enter with respect. You must be a strong advocate for your child in this school.

James Condon Elementary School
200 D Street, Boston, MA  02127
Last modified James Condon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Condon Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top