Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Brooke has improved a lot! It's become even stronger academically and it's a much friendlier environment now!

because i like all kinds of schools and i like to have a lot of friends

My daughter has been at the EBCS since last year when she entered at kindergarten. While the school is academically rigorous, my daughter LOVES it. She loves feeling smart and they have instilled in her an eagerness to learn. The school does not always handle communication with parents in the best ways (why I left out a star), but they seem to accept feedback and have made improvements. This type of school/environment is not for everyone. It is tough work and there is a lot of time and effort necessary from the parents behalf, to ensure your child is successful. But the world out there is so competitive and without a quality education, there aren't many good roads for these kids to go down. I feel blessed that my daughter understands the value of hard work and also feels she is somewhere that the adults around her genuinely care about her and want what's best for her. But in our household we are aspiring to inspire our children to be knowledgable and strive for quality in every aspect of their lives, so it works for us. I just wish the days weren't so long, but you can't have it all!

This school wants to make you believe that they care about your children and their needs both academically and personally. This is not true. They have the worst discipline process around. They make a big stink about little things that don't matter in the real world. They want your children to be like soldiers at attention at all times. This takes away the fun from learning. The only two positive things I can say is that at the lower grades, the kids do learn a lot and you do have some teachers that care about your children. However, beware of middle school because the discipline is all they concentrate on. The education goes to the side. Very sad to say all this since I was a believer in the school. Good luck to you if you decide to send your kids here. There are way better choices out there. I'm sure there are plenty of parents that like the school but I am no longer one of them.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

How can you teach students about honesty, integrity and fairness if you do not practice this consistently within the school.

Amount of homework: Disagree

It is ALOT of Homework...But it takes ALOT in order for you to push yourself

This school is literally a God-sent. I had my son in a catholic school, where they attempted to keep him back and diagnose him with Adhd...He was 4 years old and whenever he got in trouble they would literally kick him out of class...a distraction to the others and they didn't have the time to work with him..I was also paying 600.00 a month for his school. 6 months later he gets accepted to Brooke Rosindale and i'm jumping for joy! Now it wasn't an easy road, he was already adjusted to when he gets in trouble, there was no serious consequences. After a rough first month, my son got the technique, the requirements, the ability to push himself. It's a pattern and a good one too! I went from being worried about him everyday to watching such growth and changes...and in comparison to his cousins the same age as him...WHAT A DIFFERENCE....my 5 year old can read...ALOT...he knows his lefts and his rights...he's compassionate, and can explain his feelings!(E.g "I'm jealous that you go to the movies with Daddy and didn't take me.") Math lights up his world...and he loves his teacher Mrs. Kotch (So do I) but the connection that she builds with her students is simply incredible! How many 5 year olds come home, eager to tell you not only about their day, but their teachers day too ? (E.g "Did you know my teacher does performances afterschool?" ) She takes experience from her college and her life and applies it to the kids in such an educating way. I attended class once, and the patience she has...outstanding! Couldn't ask for more! Also an amazing after school and administrative staff who gets to know every student and parent one by one! EXTREMELY CAREFUL! I sent his grandfather to pick up my son when I was late and they made sure to call and get my approval before releasing him, even though my son knew him, that step alone is incredible! If I could give the school more stars I would, Just THANK YOU for being apart of our family!

Develops character: Strongly agree

I have 3 kids and one of them completed 8th grade at Brooke- Roslindale, the other 2 are in 4th and 6th grade. My teenage son now attends Xaverian Brother High School and is taking accelerated and honor classes. He told me that when he entered the school in 5th grade, he felt behind but quickly adapted to the rigorous curriculum. My other 2 kids are still at the Brooke and yes they get dropped off at the bus at 6:50AM and returned home by 4:30. This gives my wife and I enough time to go to work and be home to supervise their homework and take them to extracurricular activities like swimming, music, ballet. I think the school does a great job in preparing my kids to confront the academic challenges ahead. I feel blessed to have my kids received quality education at a public school. The only thing is that because of the cap, there isn't a high school which is needed to fully prepare the kids to college. I will continue to work and support charter schools because they have proven to overcome many socio-economic factors minorities faced in the urban areas.

I was really disappointed with this school. They do not value family life. They have extended hours and extended homework after school which makes it impossible to have a home life. It is apparent by their policies that they have little regard for parents and believe that inner-city parents are incapable of raising their own children. The students that go there are so burnt out by school work that there are some that exhibit extreme behavior problems. The principal, Molly Cole, has no tolerance for children with special needs and implements policies to weed them out. They love to suspend children which prevents them from receiving the education they need. I was so disappointed.

My daughter started going to BCS august of this year, and I must say I am very impress. within 2 months my daughter started to read. Teachers are dedicated to excellence. There is a heavy emphasis on academics and family involvement in homework.

Last modified Edward Brooke Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.