PK-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

German International School Boston is a bilingual independent school serving students from age 3 to Grade 12. At GISB, children grow from curious explorers into independent learners. Our mission is to empower students for success in a global world. To us, that means teaching the skills and habits that confident, compassionate, creative global citizens will need. A student who completes our academic program achieves native-level proficiency in German and English, an advanced math and science education, a Massachusetts High School Diploma and a German International Abitur. We are proud to be one of only five schools in North America that meet the strict accreditation requirements of the German government, allowing us to award the Abitur. This prestigious honors-level diploma is recognized at European and American universities as an academic distinction. Our vibrant international community makes learning a cross-cultural adventure at every stage of a GISB education. Schedule a tour to discover what makes our approach to bilingual education unique.
January 23, 2017

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

My name is Dörte Berning and until Summer 2016 I was the Assistant Head of School at German International School Boston. Not only did I teach at GISB for six years, I was also happily involved in shaping the development of the school. Therefore I am very familiar with it. If you are looking for a school where your child... - will be individually fostered and challenged - will be prepared for lifelong learning (in a team) - will learn to make use of all the advantages of multilingual learning - will strengthen their personalty through social cooperation gained in small classrooms ...then German International School Boston is the right choice for you! Dörte Berning

Our three children have been at this school since two years and we have never regretted our decision to send them there. The cozy atmosphere made the kids feel welcome immediately. Teachers are compassionate and always willing to do the extra step to support individual students. Another advantage is the bilingual environment which provides the opportunity to become fluent in German and in English. English is taught in leveled courses in order to optimally support each student. The Math-Science curriculum is very strong and GISB offers both, the German Abitur as well as a high school diploma with a special focus on Science and Math. One of our kids wanted to take a "gap year" at a local highly ranked high school and had no difficulties to adjust there. This shows that he got an excellent academic base at the GISB. The amount of homework is acceptable and there is much less testing compared to public schools. The emphasis lies on the best academic and social development of each student and to learn in a pressure free atmosphere.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 23, 2017

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The administration itself is ok, but is not at all involved in improving the atmosphere in the classrooms. There are a lot of things going on in the classroom, that the administration knows nothing about and/or doesn't want to do anything about. For instance the throwing of Frisbees or kicking of soccer balls during lunch, putting certain items in the microwave, or the tables and chairs being knocked over as kids chase each other.

I have been at this school for more than 10 years now and am planing to stay for the International Abitur - I am extremely happy and satisfied with GISB and the education I am receiving. GISB is a fantastic school on so many levels. First off, our staff is amazing; they do their very best to understand, support and help every single student. It doesn't always feel like school, more like coming home and discussing matters with your (second) family. Also my teachers manage to individualize their subject, which gives it a personal note and makes it more interesting. I notice that when looking back at my lessons, I was learning unconsciously the entire time and had a lot of fun while doing so; and that is what makes a teacher phenomenal - the ability to unleash the feeling of happiness in a student and liking towards a subject. The subjects themselves are very interesting and taught very well. The use of technology is appropriate and the advancement in topics adapts to both the students standards as well as the quite rigorous German curriculum (plus the Massachusetts curriculum for English language) . We are very strong in the language department with four languages being taught on a very high level. Our math and science programs stand out as well. Each year students participate in the Math-Olympics and receive very high marks, also we have been assigned the MINT-Award (and this rightfully so) and our science-café was again a huge success this year. I am proud to say that I am a student at this amazing school! Four languages give us students a broader "global view". We learn about German and English history, language, culture and morals. This allows us to link and connect the two points of views that we gain at GISB, which then help us look at a problem with more knowledge and deeper insights. All in all I am grateful for growing up and being educated bilingually. Last, but not least, the German International School gives each student so many opportunities. We have the opportunity to study both here, in the USA and in Germany. Before I don't have any characters left I'd like to say: it is an honor to be at this cozy, highly competitive, fantastic and beautiful school. I could not have wished for a better place to grow, strive and flourish. At GISB the sky is the limit and I recommend it to everyone with pride and love as my motivations.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

The bullying policy at our school has been/is very effective. I am happy to say that there have not been many bullying incidents.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I agree, 100%! Children with learning differences get a lot of support at our school. The teachers are briefed and we have a full-time, very nice special-needs teacher.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Our head of school got us onto the short-list for the "Deutscher Schulpreis" - a very high-ranked award, distributed to the best German school. I think this speaks for itself.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My teachers are highly qualified and open to any questions and/or problems.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The homework is just right - not too much, not too little - and the teachers take time to go over it in class.

Last modified German International School Boston is a Private school that serves grades PK-12