Bad
Good

I am trying to get my child out of this school for many reasons. First of all, when you walk in the office, the principal and staff doesn't even say hello. They act as if your not there. Some of the staff have attitudes and are not professional They don't seem happy there. Doors are always open in the back of the school which isn't safe for our students. It is one of the lowest performing Boston public schools. Test scores are horrible. If you want your child to just "get by" and not excel, then come to this school.

In my opinion one of the best Boston Public schools. Last year went through a major transition moving schools, accepting middle school kids from a completely different school with different expectations,etc. Last year was a tough year,the new kids fighting, some kids from young achievers had never witnessed kids physically fighting before. It was pretty chaotic. We thought we had lost our wonderful school community. But with the incredible leadership and community of committed teachers and parents, this year the new kids are now integrated into the community and doing great. The school feels more like itsself again. Young Achievers has a speciality for inclusion, which means the school has a number of special needs kids. When looking at MCAS scores parents should take this into account as scores will be lower because of this.

I currently have 1 child attending Young Achievers since K1 and two years ago had my other child transferred there as well. The school is truly a community within itself. I nor my children have experienced any other school like it. One of my children had attended another school in the bps system and had numerous difficulties, the teachers didn't care whether or not the kids learned because they were getting paid regardless. At YA the teachers and faculty work together to make sure that every child is counted when it comes to their education and even beyond. They let all the children know that everyone is equal and has opportunities to become whatever he/she desires. One of my children want to be Doctor and the other a Marine Biologist. With YA helping me to pave the way for my childrens future.

I'm not sure when the last review was written but I think it must have been a while ago. The school's MCAS scores have risen dramatically and despite the fact that the school does not teach to the MCAS like some Boston Public schools do, the scores have improved every year. Young Achievers emphasizes the Habits of Mind: perseverance, creativity ,equity, connections and investigation. There is a real sense of community. All three of my children have attended since K-! and one is now in middle school. We have watched the school grow and my children are thriving. I do agree the expectations for teachers are high and there has been turnover, but less than before. I highly recommend this school.

Last modified Young Achievers Science and Math School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.