No rating

The Laurel School

Private | PK-5 | 61 students

Living in Brewster

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $285,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,230.

Posted July 9, 2014

It is a shame that the internal politics destroyed a good school. Our teacher completely abandoned her class and used a litany of excuses to have an absence rate of @ 1/3rd of the school year. The poor timing of various events, fundraisers, and volunteering to announcements really took advantage of our generosity. How they handled being transparent about next year class sizes, which teachers would still be there and the timing of deposits which they wouldn't refund on any condition even if held for a few hours. I won't even get into the atmosphere of the school this last year.

Posted June 13, 2014

My Daughter started in Preschool and graduated 5th. She had an amazing experience at Laurel but it was not until she entered the public system that Laurel's academic excellence really became clear. She entered sixth grade at Lighthouse leap years ahead of her peers in almost every way. Enrolling at the Laurel School really was the best thing I could have ever done for my Daughter!

Posted May 16, 2014

This is a wonderful school with excellent teachers and caring families that has experienced a long overdue change of administration and is poised to be even greater in very short order. The Laurel School is like no other on the Cape, and those who really know the school well understand the best is yet to come, and soon.

Posted May 16, 2014

The Laurel School is a fantastic school. I have been a parent at this school for a long time. The reason why we are there is because of the fantastic teaching staff and also the individualized instruction. The teachers are supportive of all of the students and they know the names of the children from preschool to fifth grade. I experienced a bullying situation several times with the old administration that was completely mishandled. The current administration that has been implemented is making some much needed changes to the school and trying to bring back a sense of community for all of the children. Schools are all about happy an productive children. They should never w about politics. Changes are often hard to accept, but they are necessary for continued improvement! This is a statesmen that occurs in every aspect of life. This school is a wonderful place for children to learn and thrive.

Posted February 1, 2014

I will echo the previous poster who complained about bullying at Laurel. I reached out to both our child's teacher and the principal regarding this issue, to no avail. I too witnessed the bullying, which included name calling and shoving, yet nothing was done about it. I ultimately decided to transfer my child to another school and am happy to report that she is now thriving. This is a school where the staff claim to encourage a close - knit community, but they really just have dollar signs in their eyes. How sad.

Posted May 16, 2012

The Laurel School is a fantastic school! It was absolutely the best decision I have made to send my son to Laurel School! The school definitely exceeds expectations in every aspect of learning.

Posted February 9, 2012

This school is amazing! The faculty, curriculum and campus, fairs and everything are fabulous. My son has really blossomed here!!!

Posted December 13, 2011

Very happy with this school as a preschool . Very clean and supportive environment. My 3 year old is learning some spanish having fun singing new songs, meeting new friends. Great little school.

Posted October 20, 2011

The school has sadly gone downhill, largely due to the current administration. Communication is often unclear, and certain problems fail to be addressed effectively.

Posted June 30, 2011

The Laurel School has been a wonderful experience for my child. The academics are challenging and engaging for her. And the Teachers do a wonderful job enriching the curriculum . I find the communication between parents and teachers to be terrrific. This has been a great fit for my child and our family. Students learn traditional curriculum while being able to express their creativity . The Laurel School offers a wonderful learning and community experience. R. Sigel

Posted June 23, 2011

My daughter had the most fantastic year at Laurel. I am so thrilled with the quality of the teachers, the responsive administration, and overall warmth of the school community. As a new family, we were embraced and my daughter immediately felt comfortable. She has separation anxiety, and her teacher and the Head of School have been incredible in helping with this. She feels safe and secure, and I always feel confident that she is getting the best care and education available. The academic and creative curriculum far surpasses other schools I've seen. As a former educator myself, I highly recommend The Laurel School without hesitation.

Posted May 22, 2011

This school has a good pre-school and kindergarten with many nice teachers. However, there was a significant bullying problem in grades 1-5 which the administration chooses to deny. As is typical with bullying, the administrators are unable to detect what is happening because it is done in subtle ways by some of the most popular children (whose parents are most involved in the school). It was not uncommon for us to pop in around lunch time and see our son sitting by himself or with a table of only girls despite both his and our complaints. In the morning we'd often see our son be told to get out of the way by the older boy whose locker was adjacent to his. Not only did the principal deny the bullying but she condoned it as an "important social developmental process with kids that don't have older siblings". We have since enrolled our son in public school where he is thriving. There were positive aspects about the school such as the art program and public speaking skill development. In our opinion, the problems with bullying far outweighed these benefits.

Posted June 30, 2010

My child had an exceptional year at the Laurel School. I noticed the difference in philsophy immediately. At the Laurel School, it was all about what my child needed, and what they could do to encourage her to learn and explore. It is not a "fancy" school, the philosophy and learning are based on teaching kids to be good learners and good people: to respect and get along with other people. The teachers were excellent (tough at times, but appropriately so), and my child was really able to learn with the structure and safety they provided. I always felt that I could discuss my daughter or her progress with the teachers or the administrator at any time. Jacqui Beebe

Posted May 29, 2009

While there are a few good teachers at this school, others are absolutely terrible. I have also encountered some of the rudest, most unprofessional educators I have ever met at Laurel. The progressive, open - minded philosophy is really just for show. Additionally, many of the programs that were promised when we enrolled have been cut. The foreign language class, for example, is a joke. I was also told that my child would take yoga and music classes on a regular basis. It's just a few days before the end of the school year, and my child's class hasn't taken any yoga or music. There are plenty of other school options in the area, and I am planning to send my child to one of them next year.

Posted June 6, 2007

The Laurel School is a wonderful, supportive, caring place. The school community really is like a family. The level of education is head and shoulders above the public schools in the area, and it is the least expensive non-religious private school on Cape Cod.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab