PK-12|Private
1,012 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted September 14, 2015
Great middle school, god awful elitist, racist high school. Not a productive use of 40k a year.

Buckingham Browne & Nichols School 2

Posted August 10, 2015
This school turned my daughter into an egotistical, selfish human being. She developed a false sense of security going into the real world. She was a "Lifer" who thought that the common man was beneath her.

Posted January 24, 2015
I'm a student at BBN. I've been going here for three years. The environment at BBN is toxic and dangerous. The students are forced under tireless amounts of unhealthy stress, and bullying. The administration does nothing to prevent or assist situations like this, and when they do, the reporter's name gets leaked out, causing friends of the reported to prey on the person who gave them out. Teachers here are a hit or miss. Some completely discourage questions, then get angry when a student does not participate.

Posted October 18, 2014
Our daughter went to BB&N for high school. It wasn't until her junior year that we realized what a mistake we'd made. She'd been the top student in a good parochial school and we were attracted by the reputation of BB&N as being a top school academically. During her junior year, her academic adviser was not on top of an issue and her grades severely tanked. We discovered one kid doing summer school classes and then repeating the class at BB&N...with an obvious benefit. Seemed to be somewhat routine. The college counselor dissuaded her from applying to safety schools that would likely have given substantial scholarships and made the choice of her final school very painful. It truthfully, and we fear permanently, changed her path and not for the better. We were naive and sold on this being a pathway to the top schools, including being told repeated that she was "strong Ive-league material". We, too, heard about kids not getting reprimanded, in some cases for severe offenses. One family was in the news two years later when his parents sued an academic consultant they'd paid $1M to get into Harvard...and he didn't. There is that level of wealth and influence.

Posted August 29, 2014
The review about the admission staff being absolutely useless couldn't be more right! We just pulled our child out. If you like to pay for a Cadillac and actually get a Toyota then this school is for you. We agree there are some great teachers there, but the administration has lost touch with reality over the years. Good luck if you are planning on going here, constant problem with the buildings were a clear distraction as our child class was constantly interrupted for repairs or no heat issues.

Posted June 16, 2014
My child attended the middle school at BB&N, and it was a wonderful experience. It is the crown jewel of the school. She is a confident, insightful thinker because of it.

Posted May 05, 2014
Hi, as a current student of BB&N's high school I would like to input my two cents. This school admittedly has fantastic teachers. When you meet a good teacher here, I really mean you might a fantastic teacher, and I am truly proud to say that over four years at BB&N, several of my teachers have been truly my friends, people I can really talk to with any problem, no matter how small, embarrassing, or big. Great teachers, really. But this school is really horrible in other ways. It's incredibly well-kept on the outside, but enter the place and half the computers are broken. Last month there was gas leak and the whole place smelled like rotten eggs for a week. The administration is absolutely useless; they are so afraid of lawsuits from the parents that they refuse to punish any infractions undertaken by the children of the wealthy, whereas the "security head" at the school regularly harasses black students. The social environment is dominated by students who are two-faced, vicious, more than willing to gang up on other students. This school has almost exclusively caused all the misery of my teenage life, causes loss of family interaction, and so much trouble socially and emotionally

Buckingham Browne & Nichols School 4

Posted October 09, 2013
As an alumnus of BB&N I have both fond and not so fond memories of my time there. I cannot argue with the negative reviews that there is a certain amount of pressure and stress, however I feel that it is precisely that stress and hard work that prepared me for the real world. BB&N teaches students to take pride in their work and to push themselves hard. As a so-so test taker and someone with a learning disability, BB&N's competition pushed me to be more than I thought I could become, and I am certain that at another school I would have fallen through the cracks. Teachers are tough, but available to help. Academic strength is praised. Extracurricular activities are praised. I am proud to be a BB&N alum.

Posted September 14, 2013
BB&N was the only school we looked into for our seventh grader last year after we discovered he was just not being challenged in his public school. We approached the search as trying to find the right fit for our son and knowing if it was not, we could always explore other options. Our family could not be happier with the Middle School and our son has thrived there, both academically and socially. I cannot say enough about the Director and the teachers. They are authentic and work hard to help students achieve their goals. They have built a campus that can pride itself on really knowing what middle schoolers need to succeed both as students and as people. Our daughter has just started 6th grade at the Lower School and has already made friends and has been welcomed into the community. It can be a little tough if you are the new kid on the block, but that is simply part of the transitional process. The school overall might not be perfect, but I can honestly say it has come close to perfect for our family and so far is a great fit!

Posted April 05, 2013
Reading the negative reviews, we thought what a shame that the writers couldn't figure out sooner that BB&N was not the right fit for them and that they most likely would have been happier some else, but may have been too blinded by their own ambitions to see it. Since the very essence of private school, is that it is a choice, if they were really so very unhappy, why would they choose to stay. During the placement process, we realized that no school was perfect and that they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but since it was really about our student being in an environment, where they could do be their best ,our student chose BB&N!.Our student is there because they wanted to be. Life is what you make of it. To all the naysayers, if you think BB&N isn't for you, then follow your gut and it probably isn't. But if you visit and feel you want to be apart of all that this school has to offer, the camaraderie of athletics, the challenging academics, the diverse student body, and the many different, extracurricular activities, then this community will welcome you, for who you truly are and always respect that you are your own person.

Buckingham Browne & Nichols School
80 Gerrys Landing Road, Cambridge, MA  02138
Last modified Buckingham Browne & Nichols School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12