PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Shady Hill - possibly the best private school around. My children attended SHS and now as adults they tell me it was the best school experience they ever had. Most of what they know now was because of the intense central subjects. They still talk about Miss Prescott's Greek Mythology, and that was a while back. As a parent I still hear wonderful comments from present day parents. No doubt a great school continues its legacy.

This school has everything to offer. It is excludes the parents a little as the comments below say, but that is all for good reason. the teachers don't want tension at home, and thus try to minimize school related conflicts. All of it's programs are top of the heap and it's community is very welcoming. I am a student, and I know that I was welcomed in the second I stepped through the door. All of the teachers are nice, friendly and intelligent. If you don't understand something, the teachers will take time out of their own lives to help you fix things. The technology access is great. We all have access to our "own" (Shared with one other) Macbook Pros. They are also experimenting with iPads. It is a great school.

I agree with the assessment below that SHS tends to treat parents as outsiders. I had high expectations for this school, especially considering its purported philosohphy and values, but after being there for 5 years, I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. I also question the idea of the looping 1st & 2nd grade-- if you have great teachers it works; if not, you're stuck for 2 years. Math is taught in a non-tradtional way, which means that your kid may not have a grade-appropriate grasp of math facts, although they will (hopefully) undertand the underlying concepts eventually. On the plus side, the families there are great, very down to earth, which is helpful if you share the same values.

In my experience, this school has a tendency to treat parents as outsiders, rather than as partners. I was quite astonished to offer some limited feedback a few months back, then to be called in for a meeting with the teacher (at some inconvenience to me, as I did not request the meeting), and to receive the school's version of the *Shady Hill Re-education Seminar*. I was informed that my views were unwarranted. I was disappointed, as the school does have a lot going for it. Some attention to best practices around interacting with parents could improve this subpar aspect of the program.

GREAT SCHOOL- No school like it-so creative, fun, and challenging. The teachers are kind, warm, and caring. The curriculum is over the top. Can't find better than this!

I have been at Shady Hill for nine years, starting in kindergarten and I am now in 8th grade. Shady Hill is a truly wonderful school and I have had an amazing experience. I love all of my teachers, they are all supportive and challenge me to do better. Shady Hill is amazing and I am very sad to be leaving.

We are now in our 9th year of having our kids at Shady Hill and feel very blessed to have our kids in an environment where the teachers care deeply about the children and are willing to go the extra mile to make education engaging and relevant. Curriculum is hands on and focuses on depth of learning. Emphasis on community building has been one factor that has allowed our children to thrive. Kids are known and valued. One of my children is a sophmore in high school and was very well prepared by Shady Hill for the demands of honors and AP curriculum. Shady Hill's campus is the nicest private school campus around- a very pleasant place to grow up!

Excellent school! I have attended since preK and am now in 8th grade, my last year. The classes are interesting and challenging, and there are many athletic, arts, and music options. Teachers and students are great with almost no exceptions, and I've learned a lot.

values diversity; challenges and cares about kids

I started 7th grade last year and made friends really quickly. Although there is a lot of work, the teachers make it fun and interesting, and they really care about what they're doing. The kids are all amazingly nice and there are no cliques or 'popular' kids. Now in 8th grade I'm having an even better experience than last year. I wish SHS had a high school cuz I'm gonna miss it next year soooo much!

Last modified Shady Hill School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8