K-5 & Ungraded
Chicopee, MA

Bowie 5

Posted December 18, 2013
great school excellent office staff and compationate teachers. my daughter needed move of a challenge with her reading and the staff stepped up and helped with that. PTO is involved and keeps parents informed

Bowie 5

Posted February 01, 2012
it is unfair to blame the teachers for being completely geared to MCAS, this is the state's doing, ALL schools in the state have become this way because unfortunately, they have to, if they aren't, then the students don't do as well on the tests and then the school becomes "under performing", I personally do not agree with the state testing for this exact reason. My husband and I both attended Bowie as children, my niece attends now and my daughter will start in the fall, in my experience the principal is wonderful (yes he was there when I was a child!), he's very involved with the children and from what I've seen they love and respect him. I do think there are a few teachers who probably shouldn't have decided to work with children at all but to be fair, every school has a couple! I think this school is fantastic and know my daughter will be in good hands!

Bowie 1

Posted April 11, 2011
Until this year I would have gave this school 5 stars but my son entered the fourth grade. It all goes down hill from here. Fourth grade teachers are awful, the homework is ridiculous and they treat every student as well.as the parents like they are three years old. You have to sign every paper they bring home and if you forget they take it out on your child and make them stay in at recess. They are so driven to MCAS I think they are really forgetting about the kids. Also don't get me started about the monthly "bookreports" if you could call them that. All I have to say is thank you fourth grade teachers for making my son hate school.

Bowie 1

Posted March 08, 2010
I agree with all the postings too! Sadley I am a student at this school. The principal isnt the greatest and forces us to do activities at school which we do not want to do, such as Tae Kwon Do..Hardley anyone at Bowie likes this activity. There are some good teachers, and more bad teachers. There is a lot of bullying, which the teachers and principal do nothing about. And they say 'Bowie school is a safe place, Teachers and Parents work together,We learn skills and manners...I dont agree with this mission statement at ALL! Thank god I am a fith grader...this will be my final year of tourcher at Elementary School!

Bowie 2

Posted June 03, 2009

Bowie 0

Posted February 23, 2009
I agree with all the postings. This school is ok but the principal is something to be desired. Because this is a performing school, I would not send my child if they have a learning disability. My child did have a problem and was not given all the resources that were availabe if we were at another schoold

Bowie 3

Posted November 20, 2007
While there are many enthusiatic and wonderful teachers at Bowie, the few that are below par can really make for a miserable year. Complaints to the pricipal are brushed off. He does not seem to take any parent comments, complaints, or suggestions seriously. Which is probably why the teachers in the school support him so thoroughly: he stays out of thier classrooms!

Bowie 4

Posted June 03, 2007
- a former student
The only problem I have with this school is the principal... He is very politician like. He doesn't fix any problems at the school. This school, like a lot of the other schools in Chicopee are MCAS-driven and all of the lessons are planned around that. There is a strict schedule that must be followed with the lessons, which isn't good.

Bowie 4

Posted October 28, 2006

Bowie 3

Posted September 18, 2006
The last poster described Bowie to a 't'. There are some wonderful teachers, but, there are some who should not be in the profession. Any complaints made fall on deaf ears.

Bowie
80 D.A.R.E. Way, Chicopee, MA  01022
Last modified Bowie is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bowie Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top