PK-5 & Ungraded
Concord, MA

Posted November 18, 2014
Thoreau recently ranked among the top 25 elementary schools in the state. All the schools in Concord offer nearly identical curriculum. The neighborhood surrounding Thoreau is dense with families with children attending the school - a strong local community with the school as its hub. They are currently looking for a new principal, with an interim principal in place.

Posted March 21, 2013
My child has been at Thoreau now for 2 years. We love Thoreau & all the staff here. The principal, teachers, and staff work solely for the children! This school has excellent teachers! There are school specialists on staff that help enhance the children's education. When I have any questions the principal has been very responsive. I volunteer in the classroom, art room, and library and this place makes me happy (my child feels happy about school too). There are many extracurricular activities offered before & after school; Art, Music, PE, & Library are always in every child's schedule. There are new changes happening in this school but my child is thriving because of them. When my child reaches the projected level for each subject per grade level, the teachers and specialists go above & beyond to keep my child progressing (so much so that my child is almost 2 grade levels above the required levels in some subjects!). So far every parent and teacher that I have talked to are happy. Where we moved from my child would have had to go to private school so I am by far very pleased with Thoreau and am looking forward to my infant going here when the time comes.

Thoreau Elementary School 4

Posted February 07, 2013
This is a good school that is going through a difficult time. There is a new principal that is implementing a new curriculum and many long term teachers are pushing back on it. This has caused a lot of tension through out the school and some teachers have left/ terminated. The Teachers are complaining to the parents and the PTG leaders are pushing for the removal of the principal. There needs to be changes but every group is digging in and won't budge. The sad part is what was once a great school with a vibrant spirit is now a gloomy place where most parents just want to get their kids through and to the Middle School.

Posted December 02, 2010
Lovely school settings. My daughter really loves her class activities and her teachers. I can see she made a notable progress within the first few weeks from teh start. She loves spelling, reading and counting.

Posted December 10, 2009

Posted October 01, 2008

Thoreau Elementary School
29 Prairie St, Concord, MA  01742
Last modified Thoreau Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thoreau Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top