Bad
Good

It is extremely disheartening to see the decline in this school. Having had my children attend this school, I have witnessed first hand the negative transformation. The school previously had a warm, enriching environment, that fostered creativity and nurtured a love of learning. With the new administrator and the changes she has implemented, the school now has a cold and callous feel. I have observed her tone and demeanor as unfriendly and dismissive when communicating with parents and students, as well as faculty and staff. It saddens me that my younger children have not had the same positive experience that my older children have had while attending this school. On a more positive note, the teachers are wonderful. I commend them for their ability to rise above the poisonous atmosphere in this school, and to continue to provide as best they can a quality elementary school education for their students.

A place where my child is excited about learning, has made good friends, and loves her teacher. I feel very fortunate to have my daughter at this school!

I am an alumni of Deerfield Elementary school, and my younger brother still attends. In my early years at Deerfield the faculty was caring and supportive; the academics were demanding, but never stressful. However, recently this school has taken a turn for the worst. Upon going through a spell of many different principals, the latest appears cold and disconnected from the community. The faculty has lately conspired and now is over-controlling and unfriendly. Since these changes, I do not feel welcomed when I return to see my old teachers. The teachers at this school treat the older students like little children, giving them little respect and trust. The majority of classroom teachers are wonderful, all though it can be difficult to hand 21-24 different kids per class; still, the main issue within this school is the administrative faculty.

The staff and administration of this school are not qualified to deal with a variety of learners, family situations or the changes to the Common Core. The faculty have been supportive and caring. the school lacks leadership and overall quality professional development. I am concerned for the students of this district.

The school is great, it has great academic rigor coupled with a caring and capable teaching staff, all the teachers are smart and talented with lots of experience. Even specials teachers like Music and P.E. take the time to seek out parents and connect personally with each student. The academics are challenging but fun and the students love it there. Family participation is very high and the community is warm and welcoming.The biggest problem Deerfield currently faces is having a terrible principal. She is brand-new, unskilled and has not made any positive connections with the students. She is very young with only a year of experience before coming to this school, and does not have the ability to connect with parents. In each meeting with her she is wooden and she is often intractable, especially when she has made a misstep, which is often. She makes snap, harsh judgements and really needs more experience at a smaller school to gain a little empathy towards those around her.

I have two children who attended this school and with the exception of 6th grade, they both had a horrible experience. The faculty/staff are cliquey and unfriendly. Staff morale is low. Hiring practices were unfair. Bullying is a definite problem. Class sizes are huge and teachers cannot manage the numerous behavioral issues. I can only hope that with new administration, this school will make the significant improvements that are so desperately needed.

I am a recent Alumni of Deerfield Elementary School. They are constantly re-hiring staff, preventing students from forming strong relationships with most teachers. I was there from K-6 grades and formed healthy relationships with very few of the staff members. I rarely recieved help in the areas i needed both in school and with social problems. I feel this school lacks strong principal/school leaders. I would not recomend this school to anyone.

I love this school! It is run extremely well and has all of the things that other schools in the county are lacking. The technology is amazing, the building cheerful and welcoming, the cirriculum outstanding an dthe staff highly qualified and caring. My son is going into 2nd grade and my daughter is looking forward to kindergarten this year. Active PTO and very involved parents and volunteers contributes immenssely to the positive atmosphere.

Great school but the people who run this, is awful. They treat parents like we're not doing enough to be a good parent. God forbid you do something wrong, because they will call DSS!

Last modified Deerfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.