Boston Latin Academy

Public | 7-12 & ungraded | 1680 students

Posted April 9, 2013

I went here in from 9th grade in 2003 to graduation in 2007. Most of the staff, administration, and many teachers could not care less about you a human being. There none of them understood that life outside the school walls like family and work affected your performance in school. Guidance counselors included were of no support. Many a times when students in math class would have a question about the material, the teacher would respond "it's in the book." How funny, because I read the book, and now I have a question. The book is not getting paid a salary to teach. Thanks for nutritious honey buns for breakfast every morning, and the vitamin packed pizza and dry tater tots every lunch. Thank goodness the school is right next to McDonalds for an even healthier alternative. The staff must look at the student as a whole, speak with them one on one, guidance counselors and teachers alike. Teachers need to teach, not just relay info and mark whether it was regurgitated back properly. Guidance counselors should guide, actually help each grade instead of popping up just at the end of senior year. The one positive change was implementing the rotating schedule and activities period.

Posted April 6, 2013

Really this school is just a wannabe of Boston Latin School. It does not specialise in anything in particular ( Boston Latin School specialises in humanities and The O'Bryant specialises in Math and Science). Kids here do not seem to be motivated by anything. You'll be lucky to get into Umass Amherst If you go here. Teachers are okay and Administration sucks. Thank god I transfered out of this school to O'Bryant I can say that I am happy now that I will be attending Harvard next semester.

Posted February 27, 2011

I am a senior here and I know that our school would be a lot better if they stopped dumbing down the exam test and had FEDERAL FUNDING. It is hard to be happy at a school that doesnt have cetain sports, and cannot afford to get new books or buy a printer that does not give teachers problem every week. It is also hard for a teacher when the education system itself is changing into something worse than it already was. And to make matters worse, the government is having budget cuts towards education again.

Posted November 1, 2010

BLA has some great teachers but administration is bad

Posted October 22, 2010

i go to this school now and i hate it. we don't have any paper most of the times. we also don't have toilet paper. i would not recommend this school. i honestly want to leave it because i do not like the sports there or the education.

Posted April 20, 2010

My grandson attend there and has done exceptionally well. It's is an excellent academic school particular for math and science.

Posted March 18, 2010

Boston Latin Academy gives a lot of support to its students. Many teachers and students help each other out and the curriculum is based on the classics and Latin. However, there are some students who can't take the challenge and there are some teachers who give no support at all. Overall the school is a great school but some students and teachers slack off.

Posted January 31, 2010

Great school! I am currently a seinor and although I dreaded going to school daily, doing homework daily, it worked out for THE BEST! I have challenged myself in and out of school, met great people, and learned to push myself out of my comfort zone. This school is SO diverse, it's great! After being here for 6 years, I have been given/seeked for so many opportunities at BLA. I even job shadowed an employer at IBM through BLA's PIC office and applied for an internship with IBM over the summer. There are many activities that I have found through BLA that helped to enlighten and shape who I am today. I'm sure with the motivation to perservere and the knowledge given by a range of teachers, this experience at a college-prep school will definately prepare me!

Posted March 8, 2009

I have 2 children currently enrolled at this school. My oldest graduated in 08 from BLA. I love the experiences and education that my children have received here. The faculty and staff are very receptive and helpful. I have always felt that my children are safe and are treated as individuals.

Posted January 27, 2009

I am currently a student at Boston Latin Academy and i have been for 5 years now almost. The teachers here are amazing. There are, of course, the stern older teachers that abide by 'old school' methods of teaching - which is fine, i mean this is a college preparatory school. There are also the new, young teachers who have fun and different approaches to education. All teachers give you the utmost respect, as long as they receive it back. Extra help is ALWAYS there when i need it, but individual attention in class is of course difficult with classrooms being filled to capacity. I feel like i have the upper hand then most students around the US going into college, and i feel i will do well once i get there.

Posted December 10, 2008

I am a current student at BLA. I love it and have met most of my best friends there. The teachers are awesome when you show them willingness to learn. It gives a good amount of homework and work to prepare you for college and extra help is always available if the student is willing to take the time for it. Although some people have written it has a 'sink or swim' environment I completely diagree. In 7th grade when i entered the school my teachers were all welcoming and there for us when we needed them. I have been given amazing opportunities for outside activities and sports. I am currently cheerleading for the school and have more than loved it. Sports are an amazing way to fit in and I have met amazing people. I am proud to say I go to BLA and will be proud to graduate.

Posted December 7, 2008

This school is a good place for learning as far as i know from my experience. However, it is not a very nurturing environment for individuality. I'm a goth and i have very few friends, and often feel very depressed even though i have an A&B report card

Posted November 22, 2008

I went to BLA for 4 years. It was not the best school in the country. It is outstanding comparing to others in the area. They have some very good teachers there. Having that said, I did find the quality of the school is going down. Many good teachers/administrators are leaving the school.

Posted November 16, 2008

I am a sixie [7th Grade] at BLA nd this school is just amazing from the staff to the students! The only complaint i have is for the luch! The lunches are not very good! Especially the pizzas they look greasy and fake! But they do provde vending machines which i think is an excellent idea and they are quite healthy! This school provide great extracurricular activitiess! With great sports that many will enjoy! This is my first year there and i hope that i graduate from this marvelous school!

Posted November 4, 2008

I'm a former student at Boston Latin Academy who attended the entire six years, and I must agree with several of the student reviewers that many of the teachers (and also most of the administration) are more concerned with their own agendas than with the welfare of the students. It can be a very discouraging environment in which to learn, although there have been several teachers who are very caring and concerned with students understanding and enjoyment of the subjects. Unfortunately, an average student can fall through the cracks very easily and eke by on a low GPA. BLA is certainly not the best school in the country (or the city), but it does have its upsides: the sports curriculum is strong and varied and (at least at the time of my attendance) the music department was interesting and fun. I wouldn't discourage any parents from enrolling their child there.

Posted September 27, 2008

I am a parent with an 8th grader that attends BLA. I am thrilled with the school as my son is doing well and I have had great feed back by the teachers at BLA. My youngest son is a 6th grader and I am having him pick BLA as his first choice over Boston Latin, as I love this school and feel comfortable there and how well my son is doing. I am very happy so far!

Posted August 24, 2008

As a former student at boston latin academy I can say that it was one of the best experiences in my life I can hardly wait to get up in the morning .They provide you with so many scholarships and opportunities to succeed later in life. Although teachers may disagree with students or students may not be on like terms with the teachers, it is still one of the best schools to put your child into

Posted May 29, 2008

im at bla rite now and its the best skool ive ever been to. I met really great friends there and they teachers make it fun and easy to learn difficult things they really help you out when you need it.

Posted May 27, 2008

I totally agree with this young man (Mr. Johnson). To date, I am less than impressed with that school. I have 2 children there and it certainly fosters a sink or swim environment. There are few teachers that care, some are apathetic or merely concerned about their own agenda. Some of the teachers are not that great at teaching either. RPJ.

Posted March 13, 2008

i've been at boston latin academy for three years & i can't stand it here. the teachers only focus on how bad the students are & who does bad. they don't care about how well you do in other subjects or you're personal ideas, but just how well you behave & what you're grades are like. right now as a student i'm doing extremely well in english, i am over the top & i love to read & write & my teacher loves me. but because i'm doing bad in math, that's all they care about, & i can't take it. i'm leaving next year, & i can't wait

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

280 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students96%

Economically disadvantaged84%
Not economically disadvantaged68%
Title I77%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students97%

Economically disadvantaged95%
Not economically disadvantaged89%
Title I93%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 65% in 2013.

Introductory Physics

The state average for Introductory Physics was 63% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Tech/Engineering

The state average for Tech/Engineering was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System Science and Technology/Engineering Tests (MCAS STE) to test students in high school in biology, chemistry, introductory physics and technology/engineering. The MCAS STE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Biology

Not economically disadvantaged89%
Title I93%

Tech/Engineering

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Massachusetts. Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1613

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts from the state of Massachusetts.

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of 11th graders taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 22% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A35%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options