PK-5 & Ungraded
Dorchester, MA

Posted June 09, 2013
My daughter just completed her second year at the Mather. After visiting many local schools, we felt confident that the Mather principal and teachers would provide a great environment and a love of learning. We haven't been disappointed! Our daughter participates in art, science, ballet, library, music, and phy ed classes taught by specialized teachers each week. Many community events such as student performances, family potlucks, open house nights, and so on have given us a chance to know teachers and other classmates' families. The staff is warm and enthusiastic. The building is beautiful and historic. We are very happy to find a diverse student body--encompassing many income levels, racial backgrounds, languages, and countries of origin--all learning together.

Mather Elementary School 2

Posted September 22, 2012
The Mather has good ideals, just no great way to implement them. Both the principal and vice principal are white ladies with no children. They are cold and lack reliability to the families their school services. Although the principal wants to change the school for the beret she is unreceptive to cultural diversity and children with disabilities. In this school music, art, achieve, computers and a foreign language either don't exist it don't occur on a regular basis. The principal herself started that she didn't see the benefit of a foreign language. A handful of teachers are passionate about this school and an even smaller handful of parents, mostly white share in that passion. If your child fits the mold and is gifted on their then this school is for you. Otherwise, continue to search for a school.

Posted May 15, 2011
I attended the Mather School from 1959-1962 and got the best education! I still remember every teacher's name and went on to Girls Latin School (eventually college and grad school.) They separated children into two buildings back then. I started out in K-3 (1955-1959) at the Edward Southworth School on the same property then moved across the school yard to the Mather. Edward Southworth, I heard, burned down many years ago. I got a classical education at Mather which served at a sound academic foundation throughout my life. I also learned about birds and their different species, flowers, correct penmanship, square dancing, singing, reading music, mental arithmatic, sewing (I made a gigham school bag which I used at Girls Latin) poetry, playing and leadership (I was the girls room door monitor, a coveted position) and spelling bees. I recall dancing around the May pole which the children would make streamers and crepe flowers for and we'd sing and dance while holding streamers and running around the pole, sanding in line to get our Salk polio vaccine and putting on performances for the parents in the beautiful auditorium where we always sang the National Anthem. Fond memories!

Posted May 10, 2011
I was a student of the Mather School over 20 years ago. I still remember everything from my childhood that was memorable. Just about everything. I now live in Florida. But I will always remember my elementary school that got me started to the road to a better life. Thank you, Mather School! Angel Torres. Yrs... 1984-1990.

Posted June 18, 2010
I went there in the third grade in 1963. This is where I learned that President Kennedy was shot. I loved the school and I had an excellent teacher. She taught me to love reading.

Posted December 02, 2009
I am a new parent at the Mather. I have an 8 year-old son in the second grade. This is his first year there and so far we love it. I am very pleased with the school's mission and see it in action everyday. The teachers are all educated, warm, and dedicated to the children, which I feel is very important. With that said, I highly recommend all parents looking for an elementary school for their child(ren) to try the Mather. You will not be disappointed!

Mather Elementary School 3

Posted November 03, 2009

Posted January 10, 2005
I love the mather school. Being a parent and resident of boston its very difficult to find a good public school in this city, but after extensive investigation we chose the mather for our 8yr old son who is in third grade now. The principal, mr. Bott, is excellent.. He'll do anything to get what the children need and stops at nothing to make improvements to the curriculum.. Hes a big reason we chose the mather. Students get experience in all activities - gym, music, art etc. The science dept could be a bit better, but theyre working on it. A nice close-knit school with lots of diversity which children need! the level of parent involvement has grown each year which is a plus! if youre moving to boston be sure to check out the mather elementary for your child.

Mather Elementary School
1 Parish St, Dorchester, MA  02122
Last modified Mather Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mather Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top