PK-5 & Ungraded
Dorchester, MA

Kenny Elementary School 3

Posted March 16, 2013
My child is in grade 2 this year, and we are sending our second child next year to K1, but only because of the relationships I have built with the teaching staff, and it is one of the few schools with a population that reflects my kids' reality (they're multiracial). Some teachers are brilliant, some not so much, and one I am vocally and highly critical of. They tend not to know how to consistently communicate with families (there's a test?!?), but do pick up the slack when I approach them individually. The administration comes across as dismissive and ineffective, unwilling to hear concerns or help us get something as basic as an adult to monitor kids before school, especially important as the promised before school program does not actually exist. The 9:15 start is a challenge, especially in winter for walking kids. I love the new teaching staff, so far, and appreciate all the extra stuff like art, music, and formal gym for all the grades. Report cards are difficult to interpret, and the home school connection is a joke. Hopefully, my kids' friends' parents want to continue sending their kids to the Kenny.

Kenny Elementary School 1

Posted November 27, 2012
My child is a 1st grader here. His teacher Ms. Decembre is great with the parents. The children respect her. I can talk to her before or after school if need be. The principle, Ms. Federspiel and her administrative staff come off very unconcerned. While under a school supervision, A parent of another 1st grader approached my child upon dismissal and yelled at him. It turned out to be a misunderstanding. I wanted to discuss this issue with the parent and the principle. The principle honestly stated that "we do not do get involved with conflict between parents. The teachers work with the children in class to resolve conflicts between students only.' Why would a principle dismiss a parent and leave serious matters like this up to the teachers to handle? Also, The Kenny is said to have a before school program with Generations Inc. but it doesn't offer a before school program at all. The after-school with the Bell Foundation offers very limited space. The school is very small, you'd think they'd have more ties to community resources. With a 9:30 am start time, This school offers no resources to working families. Parents rely on neighbors for before and after school care.

Kenny Elementary School 1

Posted March 07, 2011
If a great school is a school that has good teachers, a friendly community, and challenging academics, then this school is doing a very poor job. The teachers fails to explain anything to the students regarding their homework and would often even make incorrect statements and corrections on the homework themselves. My child continuously complain about the lack of enthusiasm from the teachers who should do a better job in setting a good example for the students to follow by. The principal shows lack of leadership and does not engage in any activity to try to make the school a better place to learn in.

Kenny Elementary School 3

Posted August 04, 2009
i used to go to this school. they thought my sister and i how to read,write, and speak english. they are very nice and generous. the teachers never gave up on nobody if it takes the whole period they'll explain the material to you. because of their patiens im going to Boston Latin Academy.

Kenny Elementary School
19 Oakton Ave, Dorchester, MA  02122
Last modified Kenny Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kenny Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 4 reviews. Top