Public charter
Everett, MA

Pioneer Charter School Of Science 2

Posted May 23, 2015
The good In terms of creating a community among the students, PCSS excels and is the sole reason I can recommend this school. The bullying problem here is nearly non existent and may be a good place to send a child if they have ever faced this problem The bad School spirit. Their is none. Many students here are very vocal about how displeased they are here. I attribute this towards the way the administration treats the student body here. They take zero feedback from students and are generally too stern with the students. Academics Pcss likes to point out it's high results and it’s academics being rigorous, both of which are true. With this being said I don't believe it to be better then other schools. You have your good teachers and bad teachers but overall i say it's very in the middle,nothing to write home about. With MCAS results I feel results are less of a reflection of how students are taught but rather the type of students that are here.The main problem in its academics comes from the math department. Other than not being very engaging towards the students the way "Benchmarks" (tests) and finals are given out is extremely flawed. The math teachers for the most part are NOT allowed to make their own tests (unlike the other departments) but are made by the higher ups causing a divide with what is taught, what the students know and what is assigned leading to abysmal test scores with the 3rd quarter final in the senior class Avg to something around 45% (F). Like stated before when students complained that this system was not working, they were ignored. Sports & clubs The number of sport options are limited however this is more so attributed towards the fact this school does not have it's own field so I can not really blame them for that however clubs are here abysmal being very limited and very disorganized many not lasting for more than a year. I have not even scratched the surface of the problems at this but like i said i'm limited in characters. Verdict If your going to send your child here do it when they're in middle school and have a discussion with them if it is the right school for them. Do not send your child as a freshmen here. This should not be a first choice school

Posted April 18, 2015
I am a student at this school and I absolutely LOVE THIS SCHOOL. Many students that come to this school that say they do poorly because the school doesn't have a good curriculum are lying. The students that do poorly are 99.99% the reason for them doing poorly. Its not that my school doesn't teach they well because they absolutely do, its that they don't pay attention. Many students are forced to come to this school by their parents and most of the time don't even put in effort. And all of those parents that are blaming the school for your child's bad grades, you are even worse. You are just accusing the school like that without investigating what is going on with your child instead. And don't listen to those who say that the school is too small because the smaller the school is, the closer bond you will have with your classmates and that bond will grow the more you get into higher grades. And not only do they have a PCSS in Everett, they now have one in Saugus called the Pioneer Charter School of Science 2 which is the one that I go to. And don't let the name fool you either because we don't only focus on science. We mainly focus on Math, Science(Engineering and biology) and ELA

Posted June 24, 2014
My child was tested and placed in an advanced math class at this school. He is in 7th grade and is taking 9th grade Algebra 1 and geometry. My older child is in 9th grade and in the public school system taking the same math courses. We constantly compare their class assignments and homework. Both of my kids are A students in math. Half of the things my younger child has learned, my older child hasn't even covered and doesn't have a clue. It's kind of scary. I would strongly recommend this school purely for the academic part. It's challenging and they don't mess around. However, their after school activities are limited because they are a small school...unlike the public school. I feel extremely confident this school will provide my child the education he will need to succeed in college.

Pioneer Charter School Of Science 1

Posted March 27, 2014
Very disappointed. I will elaborate in full detail at a later date on my poor review of this school.

Pioneer Charter School Of Science 2

Posted January 14, 2014
I would Say that the school is okay for the 7th and 8th grade but I would not stay here for high school. It is such a small school where you don't get to meet that many people. If you do not enjoy science you should not be at this school as there are more enrichment opportunities for other subjects at other schools. There is no library but you are still expected to research, print, and read.

Posted February 09, 2011
It is a very strong school academically, and the discipline system works very well. Teachers are easily accessible for the most part, and they have an online student information system where I can log into my child's account and see daily homework assignments, grades, schedules, discipline activity, and attendance. We are very pleased we found this school! My daughter is happy and doing well.

Pioneer Charter School Of Science 3

Posted May 01, 2010
The school is good academically, but not the best seeing as it is only 3 years old. The attitude of 70% of students are very poor because they were forced to come and are bitter. The discipline is good as well though they have somewhat of a ridiculous system , giving out 'points' when a student breaks a rule as though they were a toddler. But I guess when you compare this school to others in Everett it is the best, by far. But this is not a school I will stay in for high school. There are hardly any after school clubs except for sports and the few they do have are poorly organized.But it is a very tightly knit school(less than 300 students in all) and making friends is easy. A decent school overall.

Posted January 07, 2010
I love this school as a parent. The classes are small and everyone knows each other. The teachers get involved with the students and families. The leadership is awesome and the students are actually learning something.

Posted April 10, 2009
It's the best school near Boston. My grades have dramatically improved.

Pioneer Charter School Of Science

Posted March 23, 2009
Principal Leadership 5 Teacher Quality 5 Extracurricular Activities 5 Parent Involvement 5 Safety and Discipline 5

Pioneer Charter School Of Science
59 Summer Street, Everett, MA  02149
Last modified Pioneer Charter School Of Science is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pioneer Charter School Of Science Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top