Atlantis Charter School

Charter | K-8 & ungraded

Living in Fall River

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $139,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted Saturday, August 23, 2014

I have been a student at atlantis since 3rd grade "im going into 8th now" and he elementary school wasnt to bad the school was preety nice and some of my favorite teachers were there, but it all changed once i got into the middle school. The middle school is the oldest building iv ever seen in public use, its scares me to know that it passes as safe with the state, I actually think they pay the state to give them good reviews. The teachers are ridiculous if 2-3 students are talking to eachother and wont stop they punish the whole class and say that we are a team and need to take responsibility for eachother. My homeroom once had a month of completly silent homeroom for a month because 3 or 4 students couldnt keep there mouths shut for homeroom. If your thinking of putting your child into atlantis i would recommend you put them in public school over this school. They are building a brand new High School but i doubt ill be going just because how they run the school. Take this from someone whos been in the school for multiple years, Dont send you kid here please.

Posted June 13, 2014

If you have a child with a learning disability, add, ADHD or any other disability, this school will not except you or if they do except you they will eventually kick you out. I have a child with ADHD who has been there since kindergarten and got kicked out in the sixth grade. They told me they can't accommodate for his disabilities. That he's not learning anything there because of his disability. They will cover their butts and go down the chain of command into everything they can to make it look like they are helping you but in the end it's only to make them look good and follow their protocols to kick your child out. I have known numerous parents who have gone to the same thing that I have. Your child will spend most of his day in the office getting in trouble for things that he can't control doing because of his disability. They don't know how to work with the children and they don't care enough to train their teachers to work with these children. I am very disgusted in the school and I do not recommend the school to anyone.

Posted September 10, 2013

I noticed that the pie chart on your web site signified the fact that you have 85% of White Students but the other races or ethnicities were not specified. I am wondering why the powers at be didn't think others were important to mention.

Posted June 27, 2013

i am very please with the school .My oldest attended Charter and has now moved on to Diman. My youngest is still at the middle school. Both of my children were there since Kindergarten and i would not have it any other way. They do have alot of work and they offer tutoring and if your child is struggling they will go the extra step to help your child . I have nothing bad to say .Thank You all for your hard work..

Posted June 10, 2011

We are so blessed to have all 3 of our children attend this school! Way to go ACS!!

Posted March 20, 2010

The ACS in Fall River is more concerned with demerits than education. The system is based on noting any negative behavior, no matter how trivial or petty. Where is the attention devoted to promoting and modeling positive behavior ? There are many punishments, few rewards. And a reward can be a word of encouragement, anything to make these students feel connected. Instead it's got my children (who loved going to school a couple years ago) dreading getting up & going to school in the morning...

Posted March 18, 2010

My daughter has attended the Charter School since kindergarden. At that time the school was amazing and I was very pleased with the school. Around the time she entered grade 2 this changed drastically. The school became less invovled with student education and more involved with making a good name for themselves and raiseing money. I do agree that funding is important but not if it's sacrificing the integrity (excuse my spelling) of the school. Thing have definitely gone downhill since Principal Kerry Kennedy replaced Fernando Goulart. I never thought I would say this because I have always been a huge fan of charter but I am removing my daughter for Grade 5.

Posted January 12, 2010

My first of three attends and the curriculum is outstanding. I am overwhelmed with the amount of homework however it is a fantastic thing. My child is reading, speaking Portuguese, and her creativity has blossomed. I can't wait for swimming lessons to begin! That principal at the lower school is outstanding and the communication with parents is excellent.

Posted October 1, 2009

My kids really enjoy going to Atlantis, and that's enough for me !!!! They keep you well informed.

Posted September 18, 2009

This school doesn't just teach our kids, it helps us raise them into educated, respectful, young adults. When they leave Atlantis I believe they will be well prepared for the world around them and they are such great kids! There is no other school I would rather have molding my son! I'm amazed whenever I go there on how great all these kids are, how well behaved, how great they treat and respect each other...where else can you find that? When you have a child in high school and a child in Atlantis and they have the same homework it makes you wonder what is going on with our public schools. I will never regret putting my faith in Charter, I just wish the high school would be ready in time for my son to attend. Great job and keep it up!!! You will always be the winner in my book!!

Posted September 23, 2008

This is the best school in the state of Massachusetts! They have the best teachers. The friendliest principals, and the academic classes are so much more advanced than most other public schools in Massachusetts.

Posted July 3, 2008

This school's academic and educational skills are high. The standards are very high, and the teachers have good expectations. The teachers and faculty treat the students with care, but the discipline level is not acceptable. The faculty and staff are very rigorous.

Posted May 28, 2008

I too am very disappointed in ACS,as I feel they have lost their focus on learning and education. When my child started here several years ago, he always had homework. Now in the last few years he has very seldom had homework. He never has to do written assignments like essays or book reports. I don't know how this will help him achieve in his future years. I really thought I was doing good by my children by having them attend this school but now I feel like I have done them an injustice. This school ,the principal and the directors are so focused on demerits and detentions. This isn't a boarding school. It should be fun and educational. I hope this school can find it's way back to the way it used to be.

Posted April 5, 2008

I taught 5th grade Language Arts and Mathematics at ACS for three years. The curriculum was rigorous, creative, and comprehensive - I say this with pride, since each year we (the staff) worked in grade level teams as well as subject area teams to cross-check our curriculum with state and national standards. As such, students were enthusiastic about school, their teachers, and what they were learning. As with all schools, and charter schools in particular, ACS was not a fit for some students and some teachers. As mentioned in a previous review, the key to success at any school is the student-teacher-home connection. A breakdown in any of these links can impact a child's experience! Overall, in my time at ACS, we enjoyed a strong community relationship, and as teachers we were allowed to be creative with our lessons, thus catering to the needs of each student!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 28, 2008

I have 2 children currently attending ACS and they are doing very well. Most of the teachers are great: strict , and with high expectations of the children & their families. In this economically & educationally depressed area, I feel these attributes are key to children overcoming sometimes less than favorable circumstances in their lives.

Posted September 19, 2007

I have two children attending Atlantis CS and they love it. Teachers have been excellent so far. There is a high turnaround of teachers because a lot is expected of them. When someone leaves, they seem to always do a great job in hiring, fresh, enthusiastic teachers. The school is strict and has high expectations. In my opinion that only benefits our children and teaches them to work hard and behave. Extra services are available for children who need extra help and the teachers are always available for any questions. Parents need to be involved, the teachers can't do it all. There needs to be consistency when kids get home and parents need to be willing to work in conjunction w/ the teacher and school. I feel the education here is comparable if not better than a private education.

Posted February 6, 2007

I am a student here at Atlantis Charter, and it's sad to say that the school is falling apart. And the most annoying thing of all, the teachers have much to high expectations. If the student does not understand something, most of the time the teacher just explains it again, then moves on.

Posted November 16, 2006

i have a son that attends charter and i am very pleased with the school he has gone from an 'C' student to a 'A and B' student he has learned how to swim this is one of the programs the school offers. Thank You Marie

Posted November 16, 2006

My child has attended Charter for 4 years and I believe it has done wonderful things for him. The quality of the teachers and the strength of the curriculum is one of the most positive reasons to why it is good decision to send our children to Atlantis. The school is very strict which I believe helps to instill in our children respect and a thirst to learn more. Some may say that being to strict is hard on the child but I believe that with hands on parent cooperation it will make the child ready for wanting to learn. I have met and know many parents who have sent their children to Atlantis CS and have been extremely pleased with the improvements in their children's grades and especially with their enthusiasm when coming home and telling what they discovered that day in school. Thanks ACS... awesome job!!!

Posted July 25, 2006

My child has attented ACS for five years and I am concerned with the quality of ACS. It deeply saddens me that I am seriously considering transferring my child from the school. The problems I see are are many. I will begin with staff - we are losing over 70% of our teaching staff. Parent involvement which is required is a joke - parent meetings used to be monthly now are a few times a year if that and parents are donating supplies instead of their time. The school is great if you have child receiving services such as special ed or title 1 - if your child is bright not so great - there is no gifted program. My child used to go on two field trips a years now there are none. Extracurricular activities are disappointing, however, if you like drama they do have that but not much else.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 51% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 67% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2013.

All Students65%

Economically disadvantaged63%
Not economically disadvantaged65%
Title I64%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students51%

Not economically disadvantaged42%
Title I34%
Students with disabilities0%

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Massachusetts. Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts from the state of Massachusetts.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A35%

Fax number
  • (508) 672-2474

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now