Matthew J Kuss Middle School

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 626 students

Posted April 22, 2014

Kuss is awesome. I love it here and my teachers are really cool. My VP is tough but super cool. My experience here has been good and I will miss it. There's always things to do after school and we learn about fun stuff. Even though the day is long, it always has something good to offer. Kuss is by far the best school I've ever been to.

Posted March 16, 2014

I am in the eighth grade at Kuss Middle School. This school is great, but I cannot stand it. For example, I was literally stabbed at this school, and nothing happened to the kid who stabbed me. He's even in almost all of my classes! I just can't stand this school anymore. I can't wait to get out of this place.

Posted May 12, 2010

I am a 6G gifted student at Kuss, and find all the teachers helpful and supportive. They listen to your questions and answer them as best they can, although they can sometimes be strict. The school is large and beautiful, but just the right size for the many kids attending. The extended day classes are excellent, and harness creative and fun energies outside of the normal school day. The Kuss Drama Program is amazing and recently won a gold medal for their contest act 'Jane Eyre Life At Lowood', which will also be performed at Kuss in June, along with 'East of the Sun West of the Moon'. Overall, Kuss is a good school!!!

Posted February 3, 2010

My child is in her second year at Kuss, enrolled in the Gifted & Talented program. The teachers are terrific, the curriculm outstanding, and the administration is very open to parents' ideas & suggestions. The new school building is beautiful & state of the art. We couldn't be happier with the school!

Posted January 23, 2010

I am a student here at Kuss, and i have to say that some of the comments that i have read are really irritating. I am student in the gifted class and i find that kuss is an excellent scholl. The teachers are all supportive, knid, and generous. They are all prepared to lend a helping hand a child needs it and i have to give this school top marks. Teachers try extremely hard for students to do their best and improve in everything. I love this school, and as this is my final year here as an eigth grader, i am really upset to be leaving and will definately be coming back.

Posted December 15, 2009

This is the best middle school you could go to. I am in 6-G, on of the GATE classes, and out of the 3 schools ive attended, this is my favorite.

Posted November 21, 2009

i think this school is amazing , it has wonderful opportunitys for my child.

Posted May 27, 2009

Teachers and administrators all get straight A's on this report card. They all go above and beyond and all reach out to the students. If a student makes the effort to reach out they are all there to answer the call. This school has an extended day program and it works very well. They have a Gifted and talented (GATE) program as well as extra schooling for under acheivers. The extra curricular programs are excellent. If a child fails here it is because the child refused to try. Next year they will be in a brand new state of the art school which has long been needed. With the current faculty this school should excel. The only thing I can see that is really needed is more parent involvement. With a strong parent base and the current faculty and administrators teh students can't lose. It's all a win win situation.

Posted March 14, 2009

My school is truly fun and we learn a lot- i'm in 6th grade, and we are learning cell division, which is taught in High Schools. This school also contains the Gifted And Talented Education (GATE) class, which I am in, and it opens up new doors for learning.

Posted September 27, 2007

This school is using a extended day program, that i believe is enhancing some childrens' talents other than the usual science,math, etc, though these are incorporated in the programs. The school seems to be improving , though it will take sometime. Obviously all parents have a different view as their child is different.

Posted April 13, 2006

I am shocked to learn that this school is doing so badly. I know they are underperforming but I had no idea it was so bad. My child graduated from elementary school an honor student went to this school and is doing so badly. I'm convinced it has a lot to do with their teaching style. Luckly she had her start in Boston.

Posted August 24, 2005

This school is a mess. There have been so many changes in the administration that it's hard to keep track. There is no punishment for the bad kids - they get away with everything. My kid is afraid to go there half the time because there is so much crazy stuff going on in the halls and in the classes. The kids are out of control. The teachers (some of them) try hard, but most of the time theres subs instead of teachers. They just put in a new principle and =fired others. School starts in a few weeks and its gonna be crazy again.

Posted April 16, 2005

I not only find this school lacking in preformance and discipline, I also include the school district. The school is just getting out of hand. Some teachers DO NOT want to teach the way they should, children do not face diciplinary actions at home when in trouble with school. How can we let our schools go to such garbage. This is the worst system and school I 've had to deal with. It's time for a MAJOR overhaul with faculty,staff, and anyone else who doesn't want to be there.

Posted February 2, 2005

my daughter goes to this school and it is awful.the school smells bad,the kids always fail MCAS.the school is just dirty.the kids are'learning in poverty'.

Posted February 1, 2005

I go to kuss and this school is poorly educated.we don't learn much,though the day goes by fast.the teachers arent teaching what they should,and this school has bad leadership.We aren't disiplined,and bullying and harassment is a huge problem in this school.we don't earn grades;the teachers pass them out.

Posted October 17, 2004

this school has awful teachers and bad leadership. it is not the students but the teachers fault. and the auditoruim is a complete mess.

Posted September 7, 2004

Well I just need to comment on the lady who home schools her childen. I went to Kuss and I was on my way to quitting school but they put me in a alternative program there and taught me so much about what I'd be missing out on if I quit and I went on to finish High school at Durfee by the way and went on to collage. To me the teachers were nothing but caring and helpful for me to be where I am today all I can do is thank them all for helping me become someone and help me turn my life around.

Posted May 28, 2004

This is one of the worst middle schools after two kids going there I will not send my third I decided to home school. They lose paperwork. Teachers are unfair and they don't learn much. My daughter had a sub for a year in french and the teacher couldn't speak it. They took no test but past the kids. If you want your kid to get an education dont send them there or durfee.

Posted May 22, 2004

I went to Matthew J. Kuss Middle School fromm 1997- 2000 for grades 6-8. I had a killer time. I was given the best education a student could possibly receive. The teachers were extremely nice and understanding and helped me through some tough situations. I was involved in som awesome groups like chorus, volleyball, yearbook staff, and enivormental club. There were tech classes like woodworking, sewing, and cooking that made the year fun. I had a great time there. They offer lots of dances and for the graduating eighth graders tons of fun things to do for the end of the year like Field Day, and Dinner Dances. There are tons of field trips, educational and fun. Safety is a big issue there. Cameras outside and they lock the doors from the outside during the day.Very secure! If you are considering this school, make it your choice!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 67% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

203 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2013.

202 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students58%

Not economically disadvantaged79%
Title I52%
Students with disabilities8%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students65%

Not economically disadvantaged69%
Title I39%
Students with disabilities6%

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Massachusetts. Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts from the state of Massachusetts.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 79%N/A35%

Fax number
  • (508) 677-1984

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

52 Globe Mills Ave