North Central Charter Essential School

Charter | 7-12 & ungraded | 360 students

NCCES is best know for the personalized education it delivers to each student.

Living in Fitchburg

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted May 21, 2014

I am very disappointed with NCCES. They talked a good talk at the initial information presentation. I was so impressed I couldn't wait for my kids to start there. Unfortunately, nothing they promised actually happened. What happened to "if the student gets a bad grade, we don't just let it go, we have them take the test over and over until they understand the material and get a good grade?" That never happened. Both of my kids are facing summer school for the first time ever and it's for portfolio - where those great grades are supposed to be. Obviously, they were not made to redo things if they don't have enough good work in their portfolios. I will admit that it is much easier to make contact with teachers and staff at NCCES than with FHS and that's a plus, but I definitely don't think my children received the education they were promised.

Posted December 23, 2013

North Central Charter Essential School has such a terrific, dedicated staff. My grandson wasn't doing well emotionally in another school, and no one was helping him. NCCES has made an incredible difference in his growth and development and I am so pleased. I also have a foster daughter attending NCCES and she hated school before attending this one. Her grades have gone way up and she has not once said she didn't want to go to school, since she enrolled here. Thank you staff.

Posted October 24, 2013

NCCES is a school on the rise. My son is in 7th grade and he is finally the student and person he wants to be. He is challenged, encouraged and supported by the teachers, staff and fellow students. He is involved in after school activities and pursuing new interests that he wouldn't have tried at his former school. He is comfortable socially and making many friends. And we love that he is part of a vibrant and diverse community. We love NCCES!

Posted October 23, 2013

I'm retired ,and now sub at NCCES. I won't sub anywhere else! I'm impressed by the focus on each individual student's success! The staff here is genuine, high caliber, and cares!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 23, 2013

We love NCCES!! Teachers really do care about the success of their students. They know our child personally and help him achieve his goals. Smaller class size allows for a more personalized education. We can't imagine him attending our district school. So glad we chose NCCES for our child's education.

Posted October 11, 2013

We like it! The staff and teachers really care about their students and work with them to succeed. Homework isn't excessive, and the curriculum covers the academic necessities. The smaller class sizes and dedicated staff make it feel like a cooperative community. Ted Sizer's essential school vision is upheld at this charter school.

Posted August 23, 2013

NCCES has the hardest working staff and the most amazingly accepting students. The teachers personalize the education experience and do what ever it takes. The students allow others to be themselves. Take a look at the results on the Dept of Ed website...all students are successful. This school is a choice...Teachers who believe in students choose to teach here; Students who believe in themselves choose to learn here.

Posted August 21, 2013

This school is horrible. Unless your child has a learning disability do not send them here. Those are the only students that get any type of academic help or attention. I had to go out of my way to get into the college I wanted, by shelling out extra money to take college courses in addition to an ENTIRE high school schedule. They made it extremely difficult to take any courses, because they said I had to be there for advisory which was generally just sitting around. When I applied to colleges I was told I would not get into any of them, and I had to practically beg for them to remember to fax in my transcripts. I was also bullied for 3 out of 4 years of my time in high school. Everyone knew this was going on from the beginning, and I had talked to the principal and disciplinarian about it. They did absolutely nothing for the entire three years. They claim to have a zero tolerance bullying policy but they do not enforce it.

Posted August 21, 2013

NCCES had so much promise. Over the years they have lost some great teachers due to poor management and focus. They have not been able to maintain their Essential School vision and have had difficulty attracting students who could really benefit from this style of learning. I hope the are able to grow into the great school I know they can be.

Posted August 21, 2013

NCCES it really just trying to become a disorganized public school, it will be my fourth year at the school and we've lost around 10-12 teachers. I feel like the students need a say in what the school needs to do because we know what we need. I don't know, being in the school has just become really frustrating. The advisor I had last year basically ignored us and from what I hear, she's done it with her past advisories too so I almost didn't pass last year since I went from having two amazing advisors keeping me on track and helping to being left on my own, I didn't even know how to pass with distinction because my advisor never told us . This school is getting really tiring because it has some amazing points but some really huge things that it needs to work on and can but hasn't. The students at the school are really great people and a lot of teachers are too but the direction the school is going is one I don't and many other don't agree with and it hurts being so ignored when we know firsthand the problems the school had put on us.

Posted June 11, 2013

I graduated in 2008 from NCCES, and despite some medical problems, managed to hold both a bachelor's degree and a manager position at a health clinic four years later. I knew I wanted to be in health care at a young age, so the school greatly fostered this interest and helped me land a great internship at a local health clinic and helped me take nursing classes at Fitchburg State. Compared to my peers in college, I found that I had more lab experience and was more self-disciplined on independent projects. The skills I developed at NCCES helped me become a successful young manager and many of my classmates also are settled in successful careers. I would recommend this school to anyone in the Fitchburg area who has a desire to learn and a commitment to inclusion. I will be returning to graduate school in the fall. Thank you, NCCES!

Posted June 9, 2013

this school is horrible they have no idea what an iep is and I'm not letting her go there next year.

Posted August 5, 2012

My daughter graduated NCCES in 2010. I have been actively involved with the school since 2006 and continue to be. My daughter was not being academically or intellectually challenged at her previous school and I was afraid she would not be able to attend or succeed at an academically rigorous college, even though she had the ability, unless we made some drastic change in her schooling. The school system she had attended was overcrowded, had a very restricted budget, and were focused on the lowest performing students, often leaving those with above grade level abilities to fend for themselves. We had checked out private schools, but to pay tuition would have meant less money for her college education. She was also turned off by the private school atmosphere, where she said there was a lot of emphasis on how people looked, what they wore, what they owned, etc. There were a lot of cliques and pressure to conform. NCCES was a great solution. Her education was personalized, challenging and helped her grow into a successful learner. She is a junior at BU, working on degrees in Math/ Economics and Computer Science. NCCES continues to evolve. From 2006-now, it has blossomed.

Posted April 6, 2012

I have been attending NCCES and I personally think that the teachers and curriculum absolutely wonderful! As for other students, they don't grasp the material fully, causing uproars of non-stop talking in class and it get annoying after awhile. Bu other than that, the school is great!

Posted April 29, 2011

as a student at NCCES, getting ready to graduate and go out in to the world I look back and see how much the school has changed, some for the worst and some for the better. What people need to take in to consideration when deciding to choose this as a school for there children is that we don't get home work every night, we are more like collages where we get long and vigorous projects. the choice to do those projects over the whole semester or in one night is left up to the individual student and that choice reflects the students grade depending on if they got it done and done well. I feel like the administration could be better some times but I feel safe going there. All schools have some problems and at NCCES we're working hard to try and strive to a better place

Posted July 4, 2010

i am a student at ncces and i love it. the school gives us (the students) the time of day and care alot about whether or not we will pass the semster. they sre ery dedicated to their work and push us to our limits to do our best .

Posted July 8, 2009

This school does not prepare the students for a college education. The academic rigor is not present and the students are not held accountable for their behavior or their education.

Posted April 1, 2009

I think NCCES is awesome. The adjustment you need to go through in order to attend can be hard. For example, learning is more independent than most traditional schools. But it is totally worth it because it helps you become a better learner and find your own voice. Our school is new and still adjusting to many obstacles that have been presented to us but I think that with the consistant dedicaiton and care that our faculty and our student body show we can overcome them. I recommend that if you send your child here you should try to get involved with their education so that you know better how NCCES operates. This will help prevent any potential confusion or frustration you might experience otherwise. NCCES is such a unique school. I can't image attending anywhere else.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 8, 2008

This was our kids first year at NCCES and I feel like NCCES has set my kids back at least a year in all aspects of their education. There is no supervision at this school either. I honestly feel like the kids run the school. Both of my kids have IEP that do not get followed. They do nothing to help with organization and you never know how your kids are doing until it's too late. We couldn't get them to check my kids agenda. We couldn't get some teachers to ever email us back. If your kid is independant and very organized and they need no supervision whatsoever then maybe the school would work for you. If your kid is like most kids at this age, or if they have special needs, I'd honestly look elsewhere.

Posted March 12, 2008

I go here and I love this school. I would never think of going any were else because I know the people here care about me and want me to do good and pass.
—Submitted by a student

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 71% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) to test students in grades 3 though 8 and 10 in English language arts and math and in grades 5, 8, and 10 in science. The grade 10 MCAS is a high school graduation requirement. The MCAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 39% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students77%

White65%
Economically disadvantaged39%
Not economically disadvantaged44%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the Massachusetts Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students74%

White63%
Economically disadvantaged35%
Not economically disadvantaged71%

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 65% in 2013.

Introductory Physics

The state average for Introductory Physics was 63% in 2013.

Tech/Engineering

The state average for Tech/Engineering was 49% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 Massachusetts used the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System Science and Technology/Engineering Tests (MCAS STE) to test students in high school in biology, chemistry, introductory physics and technology/engineering. The MCAS STE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Massachusetts. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Biology

Economically disadvantaged35%
Not economically disadvantaged94%
Students with disabilities60%

Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

Test score rating examines how students at this school performed on standardized tests compared with other schools in Massachusetts. Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

1429

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MCAS results from the state of Massachusetts.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts from the state of Massachusetts.

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of 11th graders taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 51%N/A51%
Female 49%N/A49%
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A35%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school NCCES serves students in 30 cities and towns in North Central Mass. including those that come from
Fitchburg Public Schools
Leominster Public Schools
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 50% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 47% (2012)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 3% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Engineering

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• 7:55 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
  • Stephanie Davolos
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • vazquezm@ncces.org
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (978) 345-9127

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Multi-aged
  • Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Youth Venture

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council