7-12 & Ungraded
Fitchburg, MA
After care: No

North Central Charter Essential School 1

Posted May 21, 2014
I am very disappointed with NCCES. They talked a good talk at the initial information presentation. I was so impressed I couldn't wait for my kids to start there. Unfortunately, nothing they promised actually happened. What happened to "if the student gets a bad grade, we don't just let it go, we have them take the test over and over until they understand the material and get a good grade?" That never happened. Both of my kids are facing summer school for the first time ever and it's for portfolio - where those great grades are supposed to be. Obviously, they were not made to redo things if they don't have enough good work in their portfolios. I will admit that it is much easier to make contact with teachers and staff at NCCES than with FHS and that's a plus, but I definitely don't think my children received the education they were promised.

North Central Charter Essential School 4

Posted December 23, 2013
North Central Charter Essential School has such a terrific, dedicated staff. My grandson wasn't doing well emotionally in another school, and no one was helping him. NCCES has made an incredible difference in his growth and development and I am so pleased. I also have a foster daughter attending NCCES and she hated school before attending this one. Her grades have gone way up and she has not once said she didn't want to go to school, since she enrolled here. Thank you staff.

Posted October 24, 2013
NCCES is a school on the rise. My son is in 7th grade and he is finally the student and person he wants to be. He is challenged, encouraged and supported by the teachers, staff and fellow students. He is involved in after school activities and pursuing new interests that he wouldn't have tried at his former school. He is comfortable socially and making many friends. And we love that he is part of a vibrant and diverse community. We love NCCES!

Posted October 23, 2013
I'm retired ,and now sub at NCCES. I won't sub anywhere else! I'm impressed by the focus on each individual student's success! The staff here is genuine, high caliber, and cares!

Posted October 23, 2013
We love NCCES!! Teachers really do care about the success of their students. They know our child personally and help him achieve his goals. Smaller class size allows for a more personalized education. We can't imagine him attending our district school. So glad we chose NCCES for our child's education.

North Central Charter Essential School 4

Posted October 11, 2013
We like it! The staff and teachers really care about their students and work with them to succeed. Homework isn't excessive, and the curriculum covers the academic necessities. The smaller class sizes and dedicated staff make it feel like a cooperative community. Ted Sizer's essential school vision is upheld at this charter school.

Posted August 23, 2013
NCCES has the hardest working staff and the most amazingly accepting students. The teachers personalize the education experience and do what ever it takes. The students allow others to be themselves. Take a look at the results on the Dept of Ed website...all students are successful. This school is a choice...Teachers who believe in students choose to teach here; Students who believe in themselves choose to learn here.

North Central Charter Essential School 1

Posted August 21, 2013
This school is horrible. Unless your child has a learning disability do not send them here. Those are the only students that get any type of academic help or attention. I had to go out of my way to get into the college I wanted, by shelling out extra money to take college courses in addition to an ENTIRE high school schedule. They made it extremely difficult to take any courses, because they said I had to be there for advisory which was generally just sitting around. When I applied to colleges I was told I would not get into any of them, and I had to practically beg for them to remember to fax in my transcripts. I was also bullied for 3 out of 4 years of my time in high school. Everyone knew this was going on from the beginning, and I had talked to the principal and disciplinarian about it. They did absolutely nothing for the entire three years. They claim to have a zero tolerance bullying policy but they do not enforce it.

North Central Charter Essential School 2

Posted August 21, 2013
NCCES had so much promise. Over the years they have lost some great teachers due to poor management and focus. They have not been able to maintain their Essential School vision and have had difficulty attracting students who could really benefit from this style of learning. I hope the are able to grow into the great school I know they can be.

North Central Charter Essential School 3

Posted August 21, 2013
NCCES it really just trying to become a disorganized public school, it will be my fourth year at the school and we've lost around 10-12 teachers. I feel like the students need a say in what the school needs to do because we know what we need. I don't know, being in the school has just become really frustrating. The advisor I had last year basically ignored us and from what I hear, she's done it with her past advisories too so I almost didn't pass last year since I went from having two amazing advisors keeping me on track and helping to being left on my own, I didn't even know how to pass with distinction because my advisor never told us . This school is getting really tiring because it has some amazing points but some really huge things that it needs to work on and can but hasn't. The students at the school are really great people and a lot of teachers are too but the direction the school is going is one I don't and many other don't agree with and it hurts being so ignored when we know firsthand the problems the school had put on us.

North Central Charter Essential School
171 South Street, Fitchburg, MA  01420
Last modified North Central Charter Essential School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Central Charter Essential School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top