K-5 & Ungraded
Framingham, MA

Posted May 08, 2014
There's not room here to write about all the wonderful features of this school. The teachers are dedicated, caring, and go above and beyond, not to mention several are award winning. My kids are finishing up 1st and 3rd grade, and they have bonded so well with each of their teachers, and they continue to visit their past teachers. They are also both reading, and performing other skills above their grade level, thanks in large part to what they are learning and how they are taught at Brophy. Our school is a true community, almost like an extended family. We have family-based activities throughout the year. The staff creates curriculum based events that allow the children to have fun as they are learning. Every summer there is a summer reading program that is free, open to all students and attended by many teachers because they "WANT" to go, they are not told to be there. This program, aside from being fun for the kids, has helped decrease the 'summer slide' that happens in reading ability over summer vacation. I could go on and on and on......

Posted May 02, 2014
Brophy is a fantastic school. I have a 4th grader (soon to be 5th) and a 2nd grader (soon to be 3rd) and I am quite confident that they are receiving an excellent education. The teachers in this school are outstanding, dedicated, and truly go the extra mile. Everyone from the office secretaries to the school nurse (who is amazing!) knows these kids names and their parents. The Reader's Workshop program that is being piloted here is nothing short of phenomenal, the creative arts program is thriving, the phys ed staff secured money for a grant to do wonderful programs, the Principal and Vice Principal are committed to being here and closing the educational gap for all. We are SO much more than a test score. And as others have said, understand that yes, the majority of these kids are ESL so why would you expect them to score high on the MCAS when it takes 5-7 yrs to become proficient? My children are not ESL and their MCAS scores were excellent. Plus, and this is the BIG plus, diversity is not a concept that they are taught or talk about . They experience it everyday to the point that they don't see color/race. They focus on people's character. And that is better than any test score.

Posted May 02, 2014
This school has the most caring teachers you will ever find anywhere. My 6th grader graduated last year and is thriving in middle school with straight A's. My 4th grader has needed some support with writing and got all the help we could have asked for. The school was open minded and flexible and really saw this child as an individual with unique strengths. Parents really need to look past the MCAS scores. They only reflect the school's diverse population, which only makes the school better overall. Both of my children have had excellent MCAS results. Most of all, they look forward to going to school every day.

Posted May 02, 2014
This school is incredible! The teachers are hard working, dedicated, always available to talk. The whole team of teachers and administrative staff work as one team, dedicated to help kids learn. I have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader, they love the school, love the teachers, love all of the special school spirit activities. The reason that the test scores of this school is low is because they have a very big ESL students population. This is a very diverse school, kids of many different cultures, colors, religions, and yet they all have fun together and learn together, and I love it. The kids love learning about different cultures that their friends share with them. The PTO is amazing, working teachers and staff to help help know kids achieve success! Great, great school!

Posted May 01, 2014
The teachers and administrators are truly committed. Our school holds summer reading nights for 10 weeks, starting in June and continuing throughout the summer - with high attendance by our teachers, who happily volunteer their own time to come and meet with their students; I know of no other school in town whose teachers give up such time-and this is just 1 example of the commitment of our teachers. Principal Rothwell is fully committed to doing what is best for the students and is approachable and honest. Also, our PTO hosts many successful events, some which are unique to our school. We host an annual Science Fair, which is attended by high school science teachers and, oftentimes, Supt. Scott, in addition to families and teachers. We also have an extremely well-attended Multicultural Fair, Family Dance and Variety Show. The past 2 years, teachers from our school have received the Goldin Award for Excellence in Education, a prestigious teaching award representing 16 districts in MA; only 1 other elementary school in town has received this honor. You don't have to fit a "mold" to come to our school - families and teachers alike make you feel welcome and at home from day 1.

Posted March 19, 2014
Great school. The principal and vice principal are great people. There is a mix of young and experienced teachers. The school location is great. The layout of the school is also great. The kids who attend this school come from the nearby residential locality which is the most desirable location in framingham. This school has tremendous potential and is moving in that direction under the supervision of the principal, teachers and parents.

Brophy Elementary School 4

Posted March 04, 2014
Honestly, just like this parent who posted before me in February! I was an emotional wreck when my son was registered at Brophy because he was at a higher rated school before! I thought I'll give it a try : Brophy is a really good school! The teachers and principal are amazing! The way my son learns so fast, and he actually likes it! They also have a new math program that can be used on smart phones, iPads, and desktops. The math application has many different levels and each level has thousands of questions. The teachers register each student and they're given a username and a password each. Their answers are registered and go directly to their teacher to check their progress! The application is absolutely amazing! Thank you Brophy team for all your hard work! Like other people say, this school has a bilingual class but I haven't seen a parent at this school who was ever dissatisfied or concerned!

Brophy Elementary School 4

Posted February 11, 2014
I love this school! We recently moved to Framingham and it seemed as if everyone who I ran into looked down on Brophy as if it was a bad school. So of course when my children ended up being registered at Brophy, I was an emotional wreck. I thought I was heading into a disaster zone, after coming from a really nice school where we lived before. A little dramatic, I know, but as a Parent, sometimes we can get that way. However, it was not a disaster zone, it was the complete opposite. The guidance counselor is amazing, the Principal, the nurse, and the rest of the staff helped my kids transition so well. I have been VERY pleased with the school. Yes, the score does not do the school justice. It is a bilingual school, and English is a second language for most of the students , however I think that adds to the schools uniqueness. The diversity is a huge bonus. My kids get to learn about different parts of the world just by conversing with their classmates everyday. There is always going to be good and bad to every school, but I would say don't count Brophy out just by hear say or the numbers, go check it out yourself. It's pretty awesome!

Posted September 29, 2009
This is a great school with fabulous teachers and a warm caring environment. We have a fabulous science fair, multicultural day and other great programs. It recently has gotten unfavorable press because of lower state test scores. Peole fail to realize that 35-40% of the population are NOT NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS ( we house the spanish ESL program), so how can we be compared to other schools with a more homogenous english speaking population? Real intelligent people look beyond government mandated unrealistic testing and recognize a real quality school !

Posted February 13, 2009

Brophy Elementary School
575 Pleasant St, Framingham, MA  01701
Last modified Brophy Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brophy Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top