Hingham, MA
Students enrolled: 1,133

Hingham High School 4

Posted February 17, 2013
I graduated in 2011 & I will say I was very prepared for college! Our teachers pushed us hard & I thought it was too much at some times but college is a breeze. The only reason why I am not giving this school a 5 is the lack of diversity. I felt as if I didn't belong too well because I was not apart of the "majority".

Hingham High School 3

Posted September 08, 2012
To all any parents of a child with a leaning disability; be prepared to pay money and hire advocates to get your child the help and support they need. Hingham High educators will offer minimal provisions for and fail to inform parents of their options for their child. HHS seems to have little interest in children who are not part of the academic norm. I know of many parents who are disappointed in their experience in HHS with children who learn differently. Not a suitable school for a child needing any kind of extra academic support or encouragement. Office staff are unfriendly and appear reluctant to accommodate. Very sad experience for us as a family with a child who we feel has been given little encouragement and left behind as a result. The whole educational experience from middle school on has been like a maze with so many dead ends. Wish we could turn back time and do things differently; but hindsight vision is 20/20.

Posted July 27, 2012
This is an extremely rigorous academic school especially if you are taking the advanced level courses. The sports are top notch and the teacher expectations are very high.

Hingham High School 3

Posted July 23, 2012
I think a "great school" means that all students can benefit from the teaching. I went to this high school, and I was in the advanced stream and felt I got a great education and really enjoyed the experience and extracurriculars. If that was the end of the story I would give the school a 5 star rating. However, people around me were left in the dust because they needed a different approach to learning and weren't getting it. My brother and 2 of my close friends had learning disabilities and did not get enough attention to be able to excel in the school or in their life afterwards. Looking back, their parents kicked themselves for not sending the kids to a different school when they realized what was happening. In one of these cases, the lack of attention to these kinds of students was one of the contributing factors to a life of drugs and mental illness. I see there is another similar review about this kind of situation. So if your child doesn't end up excelling there, I highly recommend making the effort to move or if possible send your child to a private school.

Posted June 06, 2012
Hingham High School is an exceptional school with outstanding academics, athletics, support and teachers. This school will prepare you for college and beyond.

Posted October 04, 2009
Hingham High School just won a Blue Ribbon Award from the U.S. Department of Education for one of the best public schools in the country for teaching, community outreach and school spirit.

Hingham High School 2

Posted June 20, 2009
It is not possible to use the star rating system effectively in this particular case. I had 2 daughters who went through Hingham schools; elementary through high. Academically they both were extremely intelligent but had learning disabilities. One was more adaptive than the other. My experience of Hingham schools is that while it truly is a superior school system, the teachers, because of the tenure (which can be good in some situations) are very entrenched and narrow minded in what constitutes intelligence and learning. I have several friends who are teachers. They've helped me to understand that there are many different learning styles, only a few of which tend to be facilitated by most teachers. If a child falls outside of this standard, they could literally be exceptional in intelligence and fail miserably. My experience is that many of Hingham High's teachers are the ones who need to do some learning.

Posted November 07, 2008
The School is very, very good; needs more updated technology in science and math; need to offer chess and bridge--starting at elementey school

Posted June 30, 2008
I attended a private school in Braintree for middle school, and while I found the curriculum and the perks of private school challenging and pleasing, I was elated to find that switching to public school for High school was a great choice. Not only have I had the opportunity to take the most challenging A.P. courses available, but the teachers are phenomenal, and the varsity sports and extracurriculars top many private schools' in the area.

Posted December 25, 2007
I have two daughters who graduated from Hingham High. They both went on to college and found they had the proper backround to be successful. They both graduated college in four years and are in grad school. Hingham High did prepare them well to be successful in their college endeavors. If I had a complaint it would be that the school was too competitive in some ways. If your student wants a college prep course, Hingham High can provide that. They also have some great courses which are not college prep, but I don't think many students take advantage of them because they are not academic in nature.

17 Union Street, Hingham, MA  02043
Last modified Hingham High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hingham High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top