Posted October 23, 2014
Sturgis is an exceptional school as the majority of these comments will tell you why. The teachers are devoted to their students. They do whatever it takes; work after school, during lunch, and anything they can to make sure you get the grade you deserve. I was not a great student in elementary school, but the teachers and overall atmosphere in the school were huge motivators to succeed and I worked very hard from then on to become the best I could be. On the other hand, my brother is not performing to the best of his ability, but he loves the school. The teachers have reached out to him and my parents to ask what they could do to improve his learning multiple times. They always want to know if there is anything they could do to help. The school also works very hard to integrate disabled students into the IB curriculum and have a great program for them! It is a rigorous school, but absolutely worth it for the teacher relationships, prestige, and amazing memories. Plus an IB Diploma/Certificate isn't too shabby!

Posted August 17, 2014
After reading the last two posts from April 2014 I felt I should comment. I have to admit when my child entered Sturgis I was skeptical. There is effort by traditional educators to disparage the reputation of Sturgis with negative comments and erroneous claims. The classes at Sturgis are all honors level and increase in difficulty as they progress. I wasn't sure our child could handle this. The staff at Sturgis stayed late, worked through lunches and created extra help groups to ensure his success. Many of our child's friends are on IEP's or individual education plans and all of them that we know of were successful last year and are returning this year. Sturgis is rated as the best public school in Massachusetts and one of the best in the country for a reason. They do not cherry pick students as claimed, they push them and teach them.

Sturgis Charter Public School 1

Posted April 24, 2014
Sturgis is technically a public school but the administration and some teachers definitely encourage students who are not academically strong, on SPED plans and who are ELL to leave.

Sturgis Charter Public School 2

Posted April 20, 2014
Sturgis is good for students who are academically gifted but not good for average students, ELL Students, Special Ed students or students who do not find school easy. There is an effort to support the really strong students. Yet, students who are not strong are encouraged to leave. In this sense, Sturgis is not like a typical public school, such as Barnstable, because there is not a concerted effort by teachers and administrators to help all children learn and achieve their academic potential.

Sturgis Charter Public School 4

Posted February 12, 2014
Two of my kids attend the middle school and it has been a great overall experience. Sending them to Rising Tide was definitely the right choice. The teachers are young and engaging, and really challenge the students to think and learn. The school's leadership is very focused on providing a community that is safe and welcoming and which encourages the students to thrive. The facility is adequate but not great; however, they will be doing extensive renovations this summer that should fix these issues.

Posted September 22, 2011
They tell you it's really hard, but they make it sound like they're throwing you into the canal to teach you to swim. In fact, Freshman year is easier than a lot of eighth grades, and the entire staff works to build you up as a person, and to increase your efficiency and academic abilities. Eventually, yes, it is very hard, but you're never alone. The teachers, the guidance counselors, the librarians, even Mr. Marble and Mr. Hieser are always there for you. They coax you through to become a much better person, for yourself and for the world.

Posted June 19, 2010
Great school, great students, the greatest teachers. The teachers and small size are the key to the schools success. Creates well-rounded individuals. I thank the school for everything it has done for me.

Sturgis Charter Public School 3

Posted January 13, 2010

Posted December 14, 2009
Sturgis is an amazing school, I have watched my children blossom there. The respect between teachers and students is mutual, the work load is tough and the kids don't mind it - My oldest son is a junior this year and is driven to do his best. Both of my sons feel challenged, and are meeting the challenges head on. They feel privileged to be students at Sturgis. The athletic department does need strengthening, it is the one weak spot the school has. When your kids look forward to going to school every day that is a good thing.

Posted December 08, 2009
I graduated from Sturgis and I am proud and thankful for that everyday. Teachers take personal interest in every student. I feel Sturgis has given me the tools to be an intelligent, articulate and informed member of society on a global level. My college gave me 45 credits from my I.B. exams. It was hard and I had to make a lot of sacrifices but it was worth it. I made friends there I will have for the rest of my life.

Sturgis Charter Public School
427 Main St, Hyannis, MA  02601
Last modified Sturgis Charter Public School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sturgis Charter Public School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top