PK-8 & Ungraded
Jamaica Plain, MA

Curley K-8 School 4

Posted August 28, 2013
The Curley is the reason we decided not to leave Boston. We were worried that our daughter wouldn't get into a good community school, with art and science programming. We were desperate to stay in Boston and put Curley at the top of our list. We were lucky and got into Ms. Nason's room; and she is the best kindergarten teacher (my daughter still visits her even though she is heading into 2nd grade). Though budget cuts have tested our patience, the parents are incredibly organized and enthusiastic and have worked with the administration to improve the school. The teachers we have had so far are excellent; they have a great music teacher in Mr. Gates; a great dance teacher in Ms. Taylor-Knight; and a great art teacher in Ms. Youman. Her K-2 Teacher, Ms. Cable pushed actively for science in the younger grades and took them to the Northeastern BostonTech competition, where two students including mine received first and second place with their lego cars. They loved it. They have lost a lot over the years due to short-sightedness by the district administration, but we hope that with the new Superintendent, BPS will look towards sustainability (economic, social, and environmental).

Curley K-8 School 3

Posted August 14, 2013
I have 2 kids at this school.1 did Advanced Work & the teacher was excellent.1 had a good teacher who did her best with an oversubscribed and chaotic class.The school has an involved group of about 30+ families, which sounds good, but is not that great when it's out of 500+ families. Much of the volunteer work is done by a few parents who burnout. The school/BPS relies on parent fundraising efforts.The previous principal was a poor administrator.The school population has increased to almost 900 students over the last few years without any improvements to the building & has sustained massive budget cuts.1 library was dismantled to be classrooms for more students in the fall.1 is in shambles since no librarian for the last 2 years. No computer/writing lab & no science for K-3rd grade. My kids don't use the bathroom unless it 's an emergency because they are disgusting. Urine/feces on the floor, no toilet paper, soap or paper towels. You can smell it in the hall. Uniform policy is not enforced, most students do not comply. New principal next year, so hopefully things will change . Many of the teachers are very good, dedicated and hardworking. We are not sure if we're going to stay.

Curley K-8 School 4

Posted June 15, 2011
My daughter tells me that she had a dream that she actually lives at the school! I hope she feels like this always about every school.

Posted December 17, 2010
This school is the reason we decided not to leave the city we love to a "better" school in the suburbs. Are children are currently in 1st and 2nd grades and are thriving. It's a wonderful neighborhood school, with dedicated teachers and strong parent involvement.

Posted October 05, 2010
I could not agree more with the previous poster who gave the Curley Great reviews, My children are in grades 3 and 4 and we have have GREAT interactions with the teachers, administration, Myrna and Jeff, and with the School parent committee. We were ready to place our children into a more parochial setting but we could not be happier with the Curley k-8

Curley K-8 School 0

Posted September 23, 2010
Great community school from K-8

Posted June 01, 2010
My children have been at the Curley K-8 since pre-K; my oldest is now in 2nd grade. We have had outstanding teacher after outstanding teacher - they are committed and enthusiastic. My children are both quite academically advanced, and I worried that their needs would not be met in a BPS school setting, but this has not been the case at all. They have been encouraged and supported in working at a higher level, even if that means being in a one-person advanced reading group, or going to another class for one topic to have the right academic match for their skills. The sense of community at this school is incredible. The parents are engaged and involved, the administrators welcome parent input and collaborate, and the teachers also welcome parents into their classrooms and forge strong relationships. The school reflects the best things about our community.

Curley K-8 School 1

Posted April 29, 2009

Curley K-8 School 1

Posted April 03, 2009

Posted August 27, 2008

Curley K-8 School
493 Centre St, Jamaica Plain, MA  02130
Last modified Curley K-8 School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Curley K-8 School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top