Lowell, MA

Posted February 06, 2015
Great school! I have been working at the Washington school for 2 years now and since the beginning I have noticed nothing but the utmost respect towards everyone. The principal is caring, understanding and very empathetic towards all the children attending the school, and their parents. I have seen her go above and beyond for families. The entire staff comes together to help anyone who is in need. I am honored to be a part of such a dedicated group at the Washington school!

Washington Elementary School 1

Posted January 28, 2015
It's awful! I never have been so humiliated in my life! My child was being bullied and instead of helping me they retaliated and now all of a sudden I'm getting reports home! Where are the notes home when my child was hurt? He can home with marks!! So please be careful and talk to your children! The principle is not warming or caring! FYI they teachers/principle office gets FREE pizza while we pay 2.05 for one slice for our children!

Washington Elementary School 1

Posted October 08, 2013
My child has attended there since 1st grade and the school is one if the worse in Lowell. MCAS Scores are very low, they seem to Only Learn Math and Reading?!?!? the principal sends things home and gives great speeches about how to make the Washington a better school but its all for show. There are some Great teachers in that school and there have been some improvements made but they should just re-do the whole school. There's no playground, only concrete, the gym is small with no ventilation, no a/c in the summer, no lunch room, the field trips stink, I believe the principal picks favorites, either she likes your family or she doesn't. Pretty much how it goes. I wish my child never went to that school, worse experience ever....

Posted January 08, 2013
My son is going to the Washington Elementary for 3 years now and I am very pleased with the education he is getting. Most of the teachers are very nurturing and Mrs. Cunningham is an amazing principal. I mean every time I look around the school grounds she is there, always close by, really hands-on so I am very thankful. The school is small but because of that my son is not another child in the crowd, the teachers know him and they greet him and the other kids by name which is amazing. The building is very old but I have seen a lot of improvements in the past two years, new roof, boiler and soon new windows. The classrooms got new computers and the library a smart board. My son is proud when he tells me that Mrs. Plunkett teaches him non-fiction like geography and science. He is in first grade and he lectured me during election time about the candidates. I was impressed!

Washington Elementary School 2

Posted October 28, 2011
Since losing Matt Stahl as the principal, the Washington has been steadily going downhill. Parents were just informed that the school as a whole failed the MCAS test, which is especially sad considering the only topics they teach are reading and math (the topics covered on the test). There is no science, no geography, no social studies, no solid, rounded curriculum. Overall the staff is competent, and nice, but this school is letting down the students. Mr. Stahl is genuinely missed.

Posted June 10, 2010
Wonderful first year at the Washington! Staff are great! Kids learn so much and are kept very busy during their day.

Posted June 22, 2008
This is a small with a sense of community. The teachers and staff seem to know each and every child. They are very dedicated to the education given to each child. The Teachers & Principal always had time to discuss any questions or concerns I may have concerning any of my children. You do not feel like your kids are lost in the crowd at this school. There are monthly gatherings like Book Bingo & Scholastic Book Night and plenty of opportunity for parental/family involvement. Overall, it's a Great School!

Posted January 08, 2008
The Washington School is small and in an older building, but staff there use that and more to their advantage. Teachers are energized about their work and proud of their reputation. The building has been decorated with art by students and local artists. The principal is a hands-on, smart and fun professional who seems to know every student's name. The student population is diverse and committed to their education. The monthly evening events offered by the school are typically packed with children and parents. I love this school.

Washington Elementary School
795 Wilder Street, Lowell, MA  01851
Last modified Washington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top