Marblehead, MA

Tower School 1

Posted May 28, 2015
We have an exceptionally gifted child who is in the first grade and has been asked to leave the school because they said they could not serve his needs. He is a bright, happy, talented, creative child who is kind, thoughtful and passionate about learning. He loves his school and his teachers but the school does not want him to stay. They say he has a learning disability, despite the fact that he is functioning way beyond grade level in every area of assessment. His doctor says that he is exceptionally gifted and that he has no disability. These children are different in the way they learn. Tower does not value differences and are very quick to suggest your child has adhd and should be put on drugs. We are all very sad this school did not work out for our very bright, talented, happy little boy!

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted May 28, 2015
It discourages original thinking and creativity. All children are expected to learn at the same rate. They do something called the alphabet sprint where students have to write the alphabet as fast as possible and they are being timed to do it in 20 seconds. It seems to be designed to see how much abuse a child will tolerate. I guess that means some kind of persistence or grit, but it does not seem useful or healthy. No one has been able to explain why they do this exercise regularly with the students in the first grade.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 28, 2015
They don't value individuals. It is all about the school, the curriculum and themselves.....not the individual student.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted May 28, 2015
Again, the teachers and staff are more concerned with their reputations than the individual students. They are not good role models for their students.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 28, 2015
Because the teachers and staff do not demonstrate these qualities sufficiently. They have lied in their communications with us, the parents and grandparents, regarding events that have taken place.

Tower School 5

Posted August 01, 2014
Tower is one of my favorite places on earth. Teachers at Tower make it their job to know each student. Their likes and dislikes, their strengths and weaknesses and what makes them unique and special. It is important to deeply know our students so that every moment of instruction, encouragement or redirection can be effective and purposeful in their growth. Tower is a place where laughter and challenges go hand in hand. Learning requires perseverance, grit and self awareness but also a sense of humor and adventure. At Tower, everyone wants to be here. Students and faculty alike work above and beyond their duties. It is a place to engage, to invest, to conquer fears, to surpass expectations, and to foster life long friendships. Tower is a place to live full, to fall in love with learning and master excellence. I love teaching my Tower students and look forward to each new day with each of them!

Tower School 1

Posted April 26, 2014
I attended Tower school for 10yrs. If your child has any sort of a personality, do not send him or her to Tower. Tower values conformity. Any child that would like to think for herself or have her own opinion is weeded out. The school usually accomplishes this by telling the parents, "there is a problem with your child in the classroom." Then they will try to convince the parents that their child has learning disabilities, and would be "better suited in a school that will cater to her needs." It's a well known fact that not all kids learn the same exact way. Well, at Tower, if your child doesn't learn via "the typical learning method" (WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT?!), then you will be told to consider attention deficit medications and a new school for your child. In my opinion, a school that charges 15K/yr for a kindergardener to make art out of trash items (termed "scrounge"... so vogue!) better be able to hire tutors for the students who do not learn via typical methods. I stuck it out at tower & was tortured by teachers/admins daily- probably their effort to wear me down and make me leave). I never had learning issues. I'm now a medical student, and will be a doctor in 1 year...

Tower School 4

Posted July 31, 2013
My children graduated from Tower and thrived in high school. They had the discipline to work hard, the confidence to advocate for themselves, and truly liked going to school. Tower's program is challenging, but it is warm and nurturing, unlike some of the other schools in the area. Kids put enough stress on themselves, why add to it by picking a school that is too rigid. Tower teachers are fantastic, and it is small enough that every child is known.

Tower School 5

Posted July 03, 2013
I have two children at Tower and so far their experiences have exceeded our expectations. My kids are eager to go to school each day, love their teachers, and report back with excitement about the work they're doing in class. I've found the communication between the school and families to be excellent -- they value what parents have to say, and how we can contribute to the life of the school. So far, so very happy!

Tower School 2

Posted November 17, 2011
THIS IS A CLOSED DOOR POLICY SCHOOL-any school that has a closed door policy I would be afraid to send my daugther and son to. We sent our kids there for three years and took them all out when we were told there was lots of problems with our son in K program...imagine problems in Kindergarden? When we asked if we could go in to the class and see what the problem could be the teacher told us that is not possible .We dont allow that. We found out that the teacher was bullying my son so we deceided to remove all of kids. We are very happy now in our new school.

75 West Shore Drive, Marblehead, MA  01945