Young Achievers Science and Math School 5

Posted January 31, 2011
In my opinion one of the best Boston Public schools. Last year went through a major transition moving schools, accepting middle school kids from a completely different school with different expectations,etc. Last year was a tough year,the new kids fighting, some kids from young achievers had never witnessed kids physically fighting before. It was pretty chaotic. We thought we had lost our wonderful school community. But with the incredible leadership and community of committed teachers and parents, this year the new kids are now integrated into the community and doing great. The school feels more like itsself again. Young Achievers has a speciality for inclusion, which means the school has a number of special needs kids. When looking at MCAS scores parents should take this into account as scores will be lower because of this.

Young Achievers Science and Math School 4

Posted September 27, 2009

Young Achievers Science and Math School 4

Posted September 23, 2008
I currently have 1 child attending Young Achievers since K1 and two years ago had my other child transferred there as well. The school is truly a community within itself. I nor my children have experienced any other school like it. One of my children had attended another school in the bps system and had numerous difficulties, the teachers didn't care whether or not the kids learned because they were getting paid regardless. At YA the teachers and faculty work together to make sure that every child is counted when it comes to their education and even beyond. They let all the children know that everyone is equal and has opportunities to become whatever he/she desires. One of my children want to be Doctor and the other a Marine Biologist. With YA helping me to pave the way for my childrens future.

Young Achievers Science and Math School 5

Posted June 15, 2008
I'm not sure when the last review was written but I think it must have been a while ago. The school's MCAS scores have risen dramatically and despite the fact that the school does not teach to the MCAS like some Boston Public schools do, the scores have improved every year. Young Achievers emphasizes the Habits of Mind: perseverance, creativity ,equity, connections and investigation. There is a real sense of community. All three of my children have attended since K-! and one is now in middle school. We have watched the school grow and my children are thriving. I do agree the expectations for teachers are high and there has been turnover, but less than before. I highly recommend this school.

Young Achievers Science and Math School 0

Posted November 08, 2004
This school started off on a great track eight years ago. Parents and students united in every facet of the learning process. However, the school has been taken over by over zealous parents that make important decisions that should ultimately be made by Principal Chalmers while student life hangs in the balance. The school more recently has been modeling after a wind up toy battery. It has great ideas and excellent vision, but has trouble seeing things through and has failed miserably in many academics according to factual MCAS results. Additionally the high faculty resignation turnover is also of great concern. This school has had major difficulty maintaining good teachers. Additionally the long gruesome hours (9:15 to 5p.m.) has caused both student and faculty to burn out candles at both ends. It's really very sad.

Young Achievers Science and Math School
20 Outlook Rd., Mattapan, MA  02126
Last modified Young Achievers Science and Math School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Young Achievers Science and Math School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 5 reviews. Top