K-5 & Ungraded
Melrose, MA

Posted May 01, 2012
Horace Mann is a fantastic school, my child was identified with special needs early and each teacher has been phenomenal in helping her achieve success. The staff is caring and it is a place where community thrives. They challenge the kids appropriately and identify issues early. I highly recommend this school to any parent.

Horace Mann Elementary School 2

Posted June 15, 2011
HM is ok. Not great, just average. Many teachers need to retire and just aren't very good. There is hardly any homework given, which in this day and age is unaccepable. Half the teachers don't even know how to use email. The home-school communication is lacking. The after school program is very expensive. On a positive note, the PTA is super involved.

Posted February 04, 2009
We have two children in the school, K and 2nd grade. We love the 'little school house' feel. Horace Mann reminds me of the great experiences I had in elementary school in Topsfield MA. Great teachers, very active and successful volunteerism, healthy level of parent involvement, proactive approach to challenges, etc. Our youngest son loves school so much, he begs us to let him go to school even when sick! Both of our boys are simply doing great, and surpassing levels I never did at the same age. It's a pleasure dropping our boys off every day knowing they are going to have a great day, and learn more than even they understand!

Horace Mann Elementary School 4

Posted March 14, 2005
Horace Mann is the quintessential neighborhood school. Parents/Families know each other and kids grow up together in a small 'village' right here in Melrose. The staff that I have dealt with have bent over backwards to keep parnets informed and happy with their children's educations while the atmosphere for the students is a progressive and warm. Horace Mann prides itself on being a model school for the rest of Massachusetts. Both of my children have excelled at Horace Mann. I did very well there too, when I attended in the 70's. PTO has always been the backbone of this school and the fundraising programs are always popular and have great support. The Pumpkin Festival has been a staple for almost 30years! Ultimately, you will find a supportive staff, welcoming parents and an all around fun school at Horace Mann.

Posted December 15, 2004
I have two children, one is attending Horace Mann now and the other is in the middle school.(but did go to Horace Mann K-5. The Horace Mann School is is wonderful place! The teachers are the best. It is not a huge school so you really can get to know alot about the teachers, students and other parents. Is is a definite learning enviroment, with a big emphasis on Respect,responsbility and caring. For the last few years at least one of our teachers has won the teacher excellence award. Horace Mann is the best---P.Keigney-Rodriguez

Horace Mann Elementary School 4

Posted October 16, 2004
The teachers are all professionals who are always working hard to educate students with multiple learning styles. Academic achievement is extremely important to all. Relating learning to real world scenarios keeps the students engaged while having fun learning. The Principal, Teachers and other Staff encourage a positive environment for learning and respecting others differences and similarities. I am pleased with the academic education and environment that my daughter experiences at this school.

Posted August 12, 2004
'I have two children both of them are out of Horace Mann now and in the Middle school they are both doing and excellent job because Horace Mann has enhanced their minds in a way no one even notices. They make learing fun but in a productive way! I would give Horace Mann 5 stars out of 5!!

Horace Mann Elementary School
40 Damon Ave, Melrose, MA  02176
Last modified Horace Mann Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horace Mann Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top