PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I am a current parent at the Immaculate Conception School in Newburyport and I could not have more wonderful things to say about it. The staff and teachers are thoughtful, encouraging and supportive. I love that they include some religious education in with the rest of the curriculum. My children are happy, kind and confident and I contribute a lot of this to the wonderful environment at the IC school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We sent both of our children to ICS (one is still there), and it was the best decision we ever made. The school has taught my kids to be intellectually curious and academically organized. Their peers are confident, smart, and actually care about one another. With zero unaddressed behavioral issues, the teachers are free to move aggressively through the school's challenging academic curriculum. This is the best education, and interpersonal environment, money can buy in the Newburyport area.

My children recently transferred from a local public school to the IC. While I was initially nervous about sending them to a parochial school (I m more the Montessori type), I ve been completely blown away by their growth academically, socially, emotionally. I am amazed at how poised and confident (but also how compassionate and respectful) IC students are. The small setting allows teachers and staff to really get to know your children this makes kids feel important. I ve seen this reflected in my children, who now feel comfortable speaking in class, taking chances by asking questions they might have otherwise not asked. What a difference a school can make! While it might not have all the bells and whistles of the fancier private schools north and south of Newburyport, the IC provides students with challenging academics, a variety of enrichment programs, strong athletics, performing arts, family events throughout the year, and, most importantly, a feeling of belonging. Families are nice, teachers are wonderful, the principal and staff are supportive. My children come home from school happy and eager to learn. Isn t that what school is all about? So glad we made the switch.

ICS is by far the best learning expirience in the area. It definitely gave me a great start to my education. ICS gave me the qualities of a small school community while forming me into the person I am today. It gives its students a huge leg up in academics compared to the surrounding schools. -student of the class of 2014

Teachers care a lot. The facility is very traditional catholic school. The music dept is lacking - the teacher is very nice and caring, but is one man with a guitar, basically. The art teacher is ok, but a bit too serious for elementary school. Classroom teachers are quite good. The newest principal should have been fired long ago - she is an extremely religious harpy who rules the teachers with an iron fist. If not for the extreme dedication of the teachers, the school would be a mess. She belongs in a fundamentalist Christian school. Strong, supportive leadership could make ICS one of the best schools on the North Shore. Parents are not encouraged to volunteer, except for a few hand chosen ones.

I am a member of the alumni from the class of '05. I strongly believe that my experiences at the ICS were the worst I have faced in my lifetime. The academic program is unchallenging and the curriculum does not contain specific aspects that it should. I have very few good memories of the ICS. My intentions upon writing this is to give an aspect of this school you do not see on this website, one from an alumni. Please consider my opinion, for I wrote this to represent what a student feels about this school.

Very challenging curriculum, especially in the upper grades - thats usually why come parents end up pulling their kids out. Lots of homework, tests and quizzes. Very 'old school' but kids come out very prepared. ICS is very focused on Behavior -respect, appearance, presentation of students - very refreshing and rare today! Their religous curriculum is more theological and historical, rather than preachy. More of a liberal, Xaverian outlook. Emphasis on community service and overall personal improvement. Small school. Tons of personal attention. These teachers will know your child.

Last modified Immaculate Conception School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8