K-8 & Ungraded
Public charter
Newburyport, MA

River Valley Charter School 1

Posted August 19, 2014
My child entered E2 and was bullied immediately. The child that left the opening for my child left for the same reason. I came to realize Bullying at this school exists because the administration and teachers refuse to see it and address it properly.. Many other parents I met had similar experience , we all agree that the 3 year program contribute to creating a 'pecking order' in the class. Each classroom is it's own island. translating Montessori as they please.This makes moving children around very difficult (if there is a harassment problem).It's easier to ignore it than move children into different classrooms (at least for the teachers and administration). As well, special education is virtually non existent because the teachers and admin. do not back or support the Sped. Dept. I chose to fight the school via the state. The process continues. The State has found the school in violation of State and Federal Bullying Laws. It is now on the school to show a change. I will continue to fight for change concerning Sped. at the school. At this moment, I would just like prospective parents to be aware of these shortcomings. I was not. Now I know and my child paid dearly.

Posted October 13, 2010
The teachers are amazing and the children learn by doing. Hands on work reinforces what they learn making learning a fun, experience with life lessons interwoven. It's a magical, amazing place!

Posted July 01, 2010
Our two children have attended River Valley for the past four years. They are thriving here and love to go to school. Students are allowed to learn and develop at their own pace, so our kids have stayed engaged and their self-esteem has flourished. Our wonderful teachers are involved both academically and in the social learning that is so important in these years. While performance on state tests is not the driving focus of our school, students do better on the state tests the longer they attend the school. Note that Great Schools ranks River Valley an 8 for grades 5 - 8. Our middle school transitions students from Montessori to a more traditional school environment to prepare students for high school. We are lucky to have this educational option available to our five local communities.

Posted October 25, 2009
RVCS is an exceptional community of students, teachers, staff, parents and grandparents working together to demonstrate by example as well as by academic discipline what it means to be a thinking, caring and working member of a world beset with environmental, economic, and dysfunction. It is a great school and it is a pleasure to volunteer there. FZGoldberg

Posted October 13, 2009
RVCS is a kind, peaceful and safe public charter Montessori school that provides a rigorous educational environment. My 1st grader loves to go to school everyday.

Posted October 12, 2009
We are the first public charter Montessori school in our state. We have shown that alternative education can be powerful and successful. We have demonstrated our success through test scores and happy, well-informed students. We have shown active commitment to our community. Hurray for RVCS!

Posted October 12, 2009
River valley Charter school allows children to be themselves. My children have not lost their natural curiosity, creativity and zest for life while still loving school and all that it has to offer. We are also a very caring community, where the entire family is a member.

Posted October 10, 2009
The River Valley Charter School has incredibly devoted teachers. The children are responsible for their own learning so they become actively involved in their studies. Children are self motivated and are genuinely excited about school. Grace and Courtesy are added bonuses in the curriculum.

Posted October 05, 2009
RVCS showed my kids the larger world, beyond their neighborhood. They were allowed to nurture their creative talent. They are amazing students, people and citizens of the world!

Posted October 05, 2009
River Valley Charter School brings montessori education public. Our students have a unique environment that allows for experiential learning via field trips and visitors to our school. We have top scores in testing for the state and have a community of dedicated families.

River Valley Charter School
2 Perry Way, Newburyport, MA  01950
Last modified River Valley Charter School is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
River Valley Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top