6-8 & Ungraded
Newton Centre, MA

Charles E Brown Middle School 4

Posted August 26, 2014
Personally, as a student that has been going here for two-about-to-be-three years, I find this school good. All the teachers are good, but they could be better (except for a few, they're literally the gems of all the teachers). They do teach well though! The administration looks a little scary to some, but they are helpful. And I love my guidance counselor too. All the students I've been around aren't necessarily exclusive, but they do tend to be a little awkward around you if they don't know you well. Also, from what I've heard, the newer students get crazier by the year (and more stuck to a stereotypical image according to what I've seen). But everyone in the school overall will welcome you in and you'll fit like a glove :D This school is good overall, but it does need a little work.

Posted August 01, 2013
Really pleased so far. I have two children now at Brown and we've all been very happy with the school. I almost couldn't believe the negative reviews below were about the same school as my experience has been almost uniformly positive to date. Teachers have responded to my emails and questions sometimes literally within minutes and have always made time to either meet or talk to me. It's a public school folks so, yes, it's definitely better to actually make the effort to get to know your child's teachers if you want a more personalized experience for your child but everyone there, both staff and adminstration, has been very responsive to any concerns. My sense is the school had a rough patch several years ago but has dramatically improved (and continues to improve) under the current principal. Big thumbs up from my perspective.

Charles E Brown Middle School 1

Posted May 09, 2013
Really Poor. I have a student currently in the 7th grade on the Team Team. I feel really bad for any 6th grader who will be encountering this experience next year. Parents- do anything you can to not have your students on the Teal Team next year. Parent involvement is minimal, teacher quality is beyond poor, and the administration lacks the ability to meet students' needs.

Charles E Brown Middle School 2

Posted January 02, 2011
I went to this school for 6th and 7th grade but switched to a private school in 8th grade for more academic challenge and welcoming social scene. A previous comment is true in that the school does not push kids who are easily passing classes. I got straight A's my full two years and didn't break a sweat. I came across some teachers who taught be absolutely nothing, and I cannot remember a single thing I learned in their class. To be fair, there are of course a few phenomenal teachers, who deeply care about the kids and work for them. Another problem is the social scene--the popular kids rule the school and anyone else has to try to find their own clique lower down the ladder. If you are part of one clique, you hardly ever talk to those students who are outside your group.

Charles E Brown Middle School 0

Posted March 13, 2009
I am very disappointed with this school. Althougth 6th grade is decent with a good group of teachers who actually care, it goes downhill from there. In seventh grade there is little to no homework and my son did not write one paper the entire year. They teach tot he lowest common denominator. The social 'dramas' that go on each day are very distracting g for the kids. Not sure they are properly prepared for the challenges of Newtojn South.

Charles E Brown Middle School 3

Posted March 04, 2008
the upkeep of the school is not so good and the variety of classes is also below average but the afterschool activities and educational value make up for it.

Charles E Brown Middle School 3

Posted January 21, 2008
This school focuses too much on those of special needs and does not help the students who are easily passing classes to excel even more or go above that. Overall, it has been a great experience for my child.

Posted November 14, 2007

Posted July 25, 2007
Charles E. brown middle school is a great school!Every part of it is amazing; from the social study classes where the kids participate in the aids walk and raise money to help out charities! To the wonderful physical education system!! beileve me i go to this school im entering 7th grade supposedly the best year! The teachers are warm and nice trust me this school is all that!

Posted September 09, 2003

Charles E Brown Middle School
125 Meadowbrook Rd, Newton Centre, MA  02459
Last modified Charles E Brown Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charles E Brown Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top