Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There is a certainly lack of consistency, but overall I don't feel teachers are inspirational

Brown has a program for kids on the autism spectrum, which is mainstream with help in social skills, organization and more. My son has been in the program for three years and is thriving. The counselors are passionate and committed. This has been a great experience for us.

Only a couple of teachers are really passionate and enthusiastic, doing their job properly. The administration is focused on policing and punishing rather than on educating and instructing. Most of the secretaries are rude to me and to my kids. I am disgusted by this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Turnover, lack of consistency in the curriculum and a few teachers that need to be pushed out the door.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Our child was not given the level of homework her peers received in the other middle schools.

The physical building is reaching the point of obsolescence and needs to be replaced. There is a large variance in the quality and rigor of academics here. The school does not weed out its poor performing teachers (and there a few). The team groupings are not well thought out and many kids are placed on the wrong track. Not enough emphasis on reading and writing, particularly in 6th and 7th grades. Not enough rigor for a more competitive world. Sadly, i think this school is riding the coattails of Newton's reputation for good schools, but has not earned its keep. We pulled our kids out.

Personally, as a student that has been going here for two-about-to-be-three years, I find this school good. All the teachers are good, but they could be better (except for a few, they're literally the gems of all the teachers). They do teach well though! The administration looks a little scary to some, but they are helpful. And I love my guidance counselor too. All the students I've been around aren't necessarily exclusive, but they do tend to be a little awkward around you if they don't know you well. Also, from what I've heard, the newer students get crazier by the year (and more stuck to a stereotypical image according to what I've seen). But everyone in the school overall will welcome you in and you'll fit like a glove :D This school is good overall, but it does need a little work.

Really pleased so far. I have two children now at Brown and we've all been very happy with the school. I almost couldn't believe the negative reviews below were about the same school as my experience has been almost uniformly positive to date. Teachers have responded to my emails and questions sometimes literally within minutes and have always made time to either meet or talk to me. It's a public school folks so, yes, it's definitely better to actually make the effort to get to know your child's teachers if you want a more personalized experience for your child but everyone there, both staff and adminstration, has been very responsive to any concerns. My sense is the school had a rough patch several years ago but has dramatically improved (and continues to improve) under the current principal. Big thumbs up from my perspective.

Really Poor. I have a student currently in the 7th grade on the Team Team. I feel really bad for any 6th grader who will be encountering this experience next year. Parents- do anything you can to not have your students on the Teal Team next year. Parent involvement is minimal, teacher quality is beyond poor, and the administration lacks the ability to meet students' needs.

I went to this school for 6th and 7th grade but switched to a private school in 8th grade for more academic challenge and welcoming social scene. A previous comment is true in that the school does not push kids who are easily passing classes. I got straight A's my full two years and didn't break a sweat. I came across some teachers who taught be absolutely nothing, and I cannot remember a single thing I learned in their class. To be fair, there are of course a few phenomenal teachers, who deeply care about the kids and work for them. Another problem is the social scene--the popular kids rule the school and anyone else has to try to find their own clique lower down the ladder. If you are part of one clique, you hardly ever talk to those students who are outside your group.

Last modified Charles E Brown Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.