Posted November 23, 2014
As a parent of four current students (two boys and two girls), I find MAA to be a terrific school that provides a quality academic education with caring teachers in a proudly Catholic, but nonjudgmental atmosphere. My kids all have different academic strengths and weaknesses, and yet they are supported at a pace that is right for them. Along with being challenged academically, my children have wonderful friends. The large campus allows for fun community gatherings and plenty of space to play tag, soccer, flag football, etc. at recess. The administration is warm and open to hearing concerns and feedback; they are constantly finding ways to improve the school. We have been, and continue to be, very happy at Mt. Alvernia Academy.

Posted November 21, 2014
We joined the Mt Alvernia Academy community 5 yrs go when my oldest son started at Rainbow nursery. We now have two boys at the school. Each year, we have been amazed by their growth and the commitment and dedication of the MAA faculty to strike the balance between academic and personal excellence. Walking through the hallways, everyone addresses them by name, such a warm and welcoming community. The MAA students are poised , confident and kind. On the fields and hilly green spaces, the boys gather with their friends in organized and impromptu soccer games. The boys also have many opportunities to move throughout the day- starting in 1st grade, the kids are grouped by levels and have the task of gathering materials and transitioning to various small groupings. A perfect and natural movement break, which also reinforces organization and personal responsibility and allows for small group instruction. As an educator, I feel like I hit the jackpot when I stumbled upon MAA.

Mount Alvernia Academy 4

Posted January 21, 2014
Love, love, love rainbow nursery! We had planned to enroll our oldest at rainbow nursery for preschool and then on to the excellent public school in our neighborhood. We got sucked in... In a good way. It is a challenging academic environment and builds a strong academic foundation for its students. However... I was surprised when I found out a significant number of students were flagged by teachers as having potential /attention issues. It was eye opening. Perhaps their parameters are too tightly drawn? My child was one of these kids and it was a huge surprise to us. However, when I learned of the volume of parents who heard the same thing, I think MAA probably is a little aggressive in identifying kids who may or may not have an issue. We are taking a 'wait and see' attitude. Other than that, MAA is a tight-knit community and for those in the boston school system, an excellent alternative to public school. . Either MAA over identifies and has very tight parameters for its students

Posted November 09, 2013
This is our first year at MAA but it's high quality teaching and leadership is apparent the minute you join the community - a quality of teaching and community comparable to the finest private schools in the area - with perhaps an even better grounding in morals and ethics. Truly outstanding.

Posted June 05, 2011
MAA, Is an amazing school for the six years i spent there my mind is filled with all the ever lasting memories that will stay with me forever, the teachers are amazing and supportive threw everything and they try to work things out in the best possible way. The after school activities offered her are outstanding. you could not ask for your child to be at a better school. Principal leadership is outstanding with just one"boys and girls" from my former principal and the whole gym of about 350 students was silent. Every student who goes here gets at least 1 high school acceptence. this school is a great choice if you are looking for a wonderful school for your children. although very hard to get into. it is amazing !

Posted May 31, 2011
I was at Mount Alvernia Academy for 9 years. I found that it prepared me very well for Boston Latin School, where I now go. The teachers were excellent and they were very supportive

Posted March 03, 2011
We are very impressed by Mount Alvernia Academy. The faculty and administration are dedicated to the children. The academic standards are high. The community is welcoming. I am thankful to have found this wonderful school.

Mount Alvernia Academy 1

Posted July 09, 2010
This school is not satisfactorily supportive of boys. They do not seem to know that boys behave differently than girls. Therefore, this school will bring a positive experience upon a girl, while boys will find it is lax in student-teacher relationships. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, for a boy to develop his full potential here. While it has a strong academic curriculum, it seems to be sadly lacking in some of the more important aspects of a school.

Mount Alvernia Academy 0

Posted November 08, 2009
I went to school at Mount Alvernia for 9 years, right from the beginning. I now attend Boston Latin School, and I have to say that MAA prepared me very well for the challenges I am now undertaking.

Mount Alvernia Academy 0

Posted March 11, 2009
My daughter will graduate from 6th grade in June. She came to MAA in 2007 when she was in the 4th grade from one of the Boston Public Schools. She was not excited at all to start in a new school and leave her old friends behind, but after learning about the excellent reputation of MAA we did not think about it twice. She made great new friends very quickly, the girls and the teachers welcomed her very warmly and my daughter adjusted in a blink of time. I am very happy to say that we made a great decision and are more than happy with the school. They also have an extended Day Program that helps with homework and that was very helpful for us. Academically, it is one of the best catholic schools in the area and the teachers are invested 100% in their students. The parents are also an important piece in the student- parent- school relationship. The school demands a lot of effort from the students so they can reach their highest potential. Lots of homework and tests but the students are sent off to middle school very well prepared to handle more responsibility. I am happy to say that my daughter was accepted at Ursulines Academy and I know along with her hard work I have to thank MAA for her success.

Mount Alvernia Academy
20 Manet Road, Newton, MA  02467
Last modified Mount Alvernia Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Mount Alvernia Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top