6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

The focus at VVS is on behavior and the academic side is secondary (as it should be). The academic curriculum is designed to reinforce the behavioral objectives.

Develops character: Strongly agree

VVS has a transparent review process where all staff review all students on a weekly basis. The reviews are used to establish a weekly behavioral honor roll. This is a great tool for positive reinforcement.

My 13 year old son attended VVS after a several week wilderness program. His behavior had reached a level where remaining in our home was no longer an option. In our view and in our son's view Valley View changed his life. The staff were incredibly invested in our son's development and worked hard on helping him understand himself and assisting him in developing the tools he needed to navigate the world successfully. Our entire family is so grateful for VVS. I could never have dreamed that our son could grow so much over a year's time.

I find it impossible to believe that some of the negative comments below come from parents of students at Valley View. Our son has been at Valley View for a year. We tried everything to deal with his oppositional and defiant behavior, including wilderness therapy, before choosing to send him. If you are considering sending your son to a therapeutic boarding school, Valley View is a place where he will not fall behind academically. Our daughter attends an elite private school in Washington DC and our standards for teachers are very high. We had parent-teacher conferences with all of our son's teachers at Valley View and we were impressed. They care deeply about the success of each student and challenge each according to his academic level. Beyond academics the staff has developed a structured system that helps the boys to recognize the consequences of their self-destructive behaviors. I have been to the school multiple times and have spoken with staff every week. I have witnessed their composure and compassion. Their mission is to truly change the direction of a young man's life and they take that role very seriously. Valley View has been helping boys for over 40 years and they really "get" these kinds of kids. We have seen great progress and we believe he will leave Valley View with the skills he needs to have a happy and successful life.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The personal attention and dedication of the faculty is real. Each teacher shows me that they know and care about my child.

Amount of homework: Agree

I am confident that this school is serious about scholastics and gears work loads to student ability.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My son has become understanding when the answer is no and though he wants things he excepts that he can't have everything. He is beginning to see himself as part of the pack.

Valley View School for Boys is our Oasis in a very unfriendly desert. Our son was failing in school, both academically and socially, and the faculty was without resources or knowledge of how to reach him. Valley View knew exactly what to do. Our son is having many accomplishments at Valley View and for the first time I believe he will be a successful and self sufficient adult.The staff at Valley View is great. They are dedicated , talented, friendly, passionate, professionals that my son can connect with and they connect to my son. I searched for years for help and we hit walls untill we found Valley View. There have been no negatives and I am able to sleep at night knowing we have found and taken this opportunity for our son.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The therapeutic environment at Valley View extends into the classrooms. The teachers are not just academic teachers. They are specially trained to handle the needs of these special-need kids. Classes are very small which give students plenty of opportunity for 1 on 1 support. Teachers are able to accommodate my son's special learning needs while simultaneously encouraging him up to the next level. Prior to Valley View my son's report cards were C-/D/F. Now they are solid A/B. Enough said.

Amount of homework: Agree

My son's homework at Valley View is similar to his homework when he was in public school. If a student is struggling with homework, there are ample opportunities for help in study halls.

Last modified Valley View School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12