K-5 & Ungraded
Peabody, MA

Center 5

Posted January 03, 2012
My two daughters have been attending this school for the past 2 years. They love the school and the teachers. Teaches are very caring and helpful. I have a great respect for the principle as she goes out of her way to improve things. There is always something going on in the school. The principle invites interesting people and looks for ways to make the learning fun for the kids. The PTO is very active and thanks to that my kids had 3 field trips (each) last year. The parking is bad, but I would not lower the rating because of that. It has nothing to do with the quality of education. It's just the result of people's ignorance because they just do not think about others. The curriculum is not challenging but again it is the state and city who decide about that not the school. We live in a different school district and have to apply every year to attend Center school, but it is worth the time and effort.

Posted April 06, 2011
My daughter has been going here for 3 years and it's been up and down. The teachers she's had have been pretty good, they all seem very caring. I can't speak for the new principal just yet but the one time I've met her she seemed very nice. The school desperately needs an overhaul though, except for the windows and playground. Everything looks very old and worn out. The worst part of this school (and the reason I gave it 3 stars) is the drop-off/pick-up situation. It is absolutely nightmarish! The school is located on a narrow side street, and people (most who own SUV or mini-vans) park on both sides, making it almost impossible for anyone else to drive down the street. With all the kids getting out, and people trying to pass and/or block traffic, it's utter pandemonium every day at 3 pm. I tried it one year and hated it so much that I've been paying for busing ever since. I don't know what they could do to remedy the situation, but it needs to be fixed. I'm surprised there's hasn't been any accidents or no one has been hit by a car yet.

Center 1

Posted February 02, 2007
My daughter attended this school for 2 yrs(K,1) K she had a wonderful caring teacher but other than that there is nothing positive to say about this school. We were very happy to move out of the city and than really realized how much our daughter was missing in school, academically. It is amazing how much better a school system can be when everyone works together and thinks of the kids not just test scores!

Posted August 26, 2006
I attended this school myself 30 years ago, so now that my son has completed Kindergarten, I see things quite differently. The building looks exactly the same as it did when I attended except for the great playground out back. Unfortunately the children only get to use it for 10 minutes a day unless you sit with them for a while when school gets out. The class sizes are really too big. My son's kindergarten class was cramped into a small room with no real personal space for the children's backpack or jackets, etc. with boots needing to be placed outside in the halls. 25 kids were in his class. I cannot imagine effectively managing 25 5-6 year olds. I have heard from other parents that these numbers continue to grow as they age. There's a fourth grade class with 28 kids in it. I think it's hard for parent involvment.

Posted June 14, 2004
My children have been going to this school for the past 2 years. The facility is old and in need of new windows and other updates. It is very hot and air quality is questionable, during the fall and spring months there's no AC and in winter it is best to dress in layers as the heat is high. The Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers we have had have been professional and caring, though the curriculum is not very challenging. The low salaries & unstable administration make for frequent turnover at Center and district wide. As a district, 7 principals (including Center's)are leaving for various reasons, under the new superintendent. Traffic safety is a concern as the buses, parents picking up and children walking are all in the same area. Neighbors are not happy with traffic patterns and are meeting with City Hall.

Center 1

Posted June 10, 2004
- a former student

Center
18 Irving St, Peabody, MA  01960
Last modified Center is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Center Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top