Peabody, MA
Students enrolled: 1,360

J Henry Higgins Middle School 1

Posted April 22, 2014
Teachers and principles sucked and were very unfair not prepared for high school even though got A's and B's at higgins

J Henry Higgins Middle School 1

Posted October 02, 2012
Higgins is good for 8th graders since the 6th and 7th graders look like bugs

Posted February 22, 2010
I went to higgins last year. It was the best.

Posted February 21, 2008
Higgins roxx! I am in 6th grade and I started going 2 higgins this year [obviously]. The teachers are great, theres not a lot of hw, and the exploratories are fun. Although I hate gym, the gym teachers are great. The size of the school was intimidating at 1st but I got used 2 it. I luvv the higgins...We rock!! -karina was here! (ps, ms. Irons [6th grade marlin teacher] is the best english teacher ever!)

J Henry Higgins Middle School 4

Posted September 01, 2005
I am a former Higgins student(I just graduated 8 grade this year) and I love the school. The size and student population are intimidating at first but the school is great. The teachers are great and there are all sorts of clubs. When I first arrived at Higgins I was very ovewhelmed but the number of students is only a chance to meet different kinds of people and make a lot of friends. A lot of the teachers do give a lot of homework but there are a lot that give hardly any. I like that there is a difference between the teachers and the workload though. Higgins has classes that are for kids who have difficulty learning with the large number of other kids. It also provides special needs classes. The city should provide more for the school though.I also attended private school and I would rather go to Higgins.

Posted May 06, 2005
I am not a big fan of this school. While I think the teachers and administration are doing the best that they can, they are not being supported by the city. There should be more than one middle school for this city. This is a crucial time in these children's lives. This is when they go through the most changes...physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. This school is just too big and often these children get lost in the system. I have seen the most brilliant of children do poorly simply because they were not given adequate support and time. My daughter has experienced back problems simply due to the amount of books she has had to carry..the homework load is unrealistic and I have seen that some of it is just 'busy work', not reinforcement of what she has learned in class. I give this school a thumbs down.

Posted October 04, 2004
My son is a 7th grader at Higgins and I have not been impressed so far. Last year he had issues with another student constantly badgering him and when I ?'d the teachers I was told they could not discuss another child with me! I believe this is what lead to my son's grades dropping from A's to B's and C's. The teacher seem preoccupied with their own lives than the reason they are at the school, to teach our children. The lunches are less than desirable. Aside from the school hot lunch the options are mostly fried choices, chicken fingers, moz sticks, buffalo fingers... Wish I could afford a private school

Posted September 01, 2004
Higgins middle school is an alright school.. in my opinion it needs better special ed teachers,and better food. The housematers are I think the best thing the school has to offer. Teachers although dont understand the presaures of the mcas and homework and how that effects the students. The new superintendent isn't all that great either taking away feild trips and such. The kids need some physical release during the day, walking to lunch and eating for 15 mins is definitly not enough. No fresh air for 6 hours? I mean come on it won't kill to give the childen 5 minutes a day to breath. The kids also need better food and more time to eat it. So over all the Higgins middle school isn't all that great.. I was a student there this past year I am goin on to 9th grade now. ((Mrs.Smith rocks though)) -Jess Ravagno

J Henry Higgins Middle School 4

Posted August 02, 2004
The Higgins Middle School is administered by dedicated professionals. Although it is a very large school, the Principal and her headmasters have set up and maintained a structure that allows for the safety, personal growth and recognition and individual learning normally found in much smaller schools. I highly recommend this school and give raves to my sixth grader's teachers, guidance department and Principal!

Posted March 14, 2004
I really love Higgins. I am in the 8th grade (my last year) My teachers are great and I made a lot of friends. I am going to miss Higgins when I have to leave.

J Henry Higgins Middle School
1 King Street Ext, Peabody, MA  01960
Last modified J Henry Higgins Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
J Henry Higgins Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top