6-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Visit our School today! Rolling Admissions are March through July for grades 6-11. Call our office to schedule a tour, Shadow Day or register for an upcoming Open House. 781-944-4900 ext 770. Visit our website at www.austinprep.org to start your Austin journey.
March 20, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I should have read these a while ago..I would totally agree with the disappointment in sending my children to High School here. They have gotten good grades, but that is because they came from excellent middle schools and have done the work themselves. There was a different Headmaster when I originally viewed the school. The number of good teachers that have left since he has come aboard or are in fear of their jobs is incredible. I would agree that he likes to “hear himself talk”. He totally disrespects the students, talks down to them and does not treat them as individuals nor feels he should give them the time of day. Students are constantly given suspension for the craziest reasons. If they post a negative picture, say the wrong thing on social media about the school and get caught. It is like having Putin for a headmaster. Students hide from him and the Assistant Headmaster. I would also agree with the post concerning sports at the school “They will cut Juniors and Seniors to "nurture and prepare" middle school kids on JV and V”. I have lived through that as well.

I was hired as a substitute teacher at Austin Prep for a few weeks in the spring of 2016. Having taught in Catholic schools for over a decade, I was amazed at how this place was run. First of all, let me say that the students are generally polite, and the school grounds are well-maintained. But Austin Prep gets really strange when you look beneath the surface: there is a highly dysfunctional disciplinary environment in place. Kids constantly show up late for school (and there is no disciplinary system to prevent this). Once they do arrive, they waltz into class, out of dress code, with breakfast sandwiches, Starbucks drinks etc., and fully expect to be able to spend the class time trolling the Web on their iPads. Students are constantly asking to see the nurse, see the guidance counselor--and teachers are told to indulge their every whim. Students bring in HUGE drinks to class, and then--surprise!--ask to go to the bathroom a few minutes later. I even had the school's principal interrupt class to give a student his homework (which was already late by several weeks). What ever happened to holding STUDENTS accountable in a school?? The teachers seem like very nice people, but are frustrated by the dysfunctional environment. Most have adapted by showing videos insteading of engaging students in LEARNING. The net effect of all of this is students who do very little learning in their time at Austin Prep. It's true that even the best of schools have a hard time fighting against the onslaught of distractions keeping our young people from learning, but many of the 12th graders here can barely write a simple essay on a test in a coherent way. Parents and students deserve better!

Save your money for college. If you are looking for a well rounded experience, that includes sports dont bother. They will cut JUniors and Seniors to "nuture and prepare" middle school kids on JV and V. You just a tuition payment. They are an independant Catholic school that is govererned by themselves, so they are never wrong. The have no moral obligation to your children ...BEWARE...do your homework parents

As a former student, I cannot say enough about my experience at Austin Preparatory School. The academics is one of the strongest in the area. The teachers are highly qualified and are passionate about their subject matter and especially about their students succeeding. I felt well equipped for college level courses upon graduation and was also able to complete college credits by taking AP courses my senior year at Austin. Also the multiple extracurricular activities were great ways to make friends and also experience something new. I participated in three sports and the team spirit was something very important in the Austin community. I highly recommend this school. I hope you or your children find the best that Austin has to offer!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 20, 2015

My son is now a senior and has been at Austin since the beginning of middle school and I cannot say enough about the wonderful school. Candidly I think the record of almost 100 percent of seniors moving on to 4 years of further education speaks for itself regarding Austin's commitment to education. The support for struggling kids, getting them involved in community, clubs and sports is great and I have never met a student who was anything besides respectful and courteous. My son's community service requirement resulted in not only his continued commitment to a local food pantry but also mine. It is a great school and I commend them for helping to groom my son into the well rounded young man he is today. My senior year son has been accepted into four great schools so far, thanks Austin!

This school is terrible!!! The expectations are so low and teachers allow students to cheat on tests and homework. I was extremely bored in ALL classes! Students are pompous and entitled. Save your money!

Teachers/academics are excellent. Very smart students, lots of homework, tests and quizzes. Probably would not be a good fit for struggling students. Extracurricular activities are good, seem to have more emphasis on sports than arts. New headmaster's focus is questionable. Very focused on trendy items implementing iPads (which only some of the courseware is available on, and came with a $1000 tuition hike), new name brand uniforms including shoes and sneakers that will easily run $140 just for those items. Aiming for dress shirts, ties, $155 blazers as part of mandatory uniform. Not a lot of opportunity for parents to meet, volunteer, become involved.

I have really enjoyed my time here so far, everyone here wants to be here and the teachers are always ready to help. People complain there are no clubs but I have clubs 5 days of our six day block schedule. The sports teams have been a great experience.

my daughter has been attending this school since middle school and is a senior now. Her experience at Austin has been very disappointing. She has gotten good grades, and gotten into very good colleges; but that is because of what she has done for herself. The school has not prepared her for college at all. The faculty and administration abuse their power over the students, and hold too much power over the way that the school is run. When my daughter had her friends over, they talked about how they missed the old headmaster because the nee headmaster likes to "hear himself talk". He just makes new rules because he can, and does not take the students opinions into consideration at all. Not to mention he treats 18 year olds like they are 5.

Last modified Austin Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12