Revere, MA

A. C. Whelan Elementary School 1

Posted June 23, 2014
First of all, I am not happy with the extended day program and I am not the only parent. My kids come home from school and they are tired and don't want to hear about school anymore. There is no time in the evening for extra activity because it's late. Also, the school is not performing that well. They scored 51%. They put to much focus in the MCAS and ANET testing. They should do away with the extended program and focus on regular subjects like Reading and Math. The school should send home a questionnaire on how parents feel about the school. First the extended hours and then on the children's schoolwork.

A. C. Whelan Elementary School 4

Posted April 30, 2013
My daugther loves to study here!!! The stuff is excellent. My daugthers teacher is very helpfull. I recomend this school.

Posted January 29, 2012
Our son has been in this school for 2 years now, and our experience has been great. All his teachers took the time to understand his skills, and challenged him at his level. The school has a great community and a ver active and involved PTA.

Posted September 16, 2010
My daughter just started at the A.C. Whelan School and I have nothing but good things to say.. The principal has been more than helpful and my daughter's teacher is wonderful.. She e-mail's me reminders, weekly newsletters, questions, etc. all the time.. I am so happy she is going to this school.

Posted August 31, 2010
My kids are the most important aspect of me. It takes a village to raise a child. Community, commitment and caring! Thank you John Macero, and Staff can't forget Officer Burke TY Yours truly, Scott

Posted March 26, 2010
The A.C. Whelan School has always been a great school. I attended over 20 years ago and the staff was awesome. Now they just improved the school even more by building a new one with top of the line equipt. My daughter has been there for four years now and wouldn't want to attend any other school.

Posted March 26, 2010
My children have gone to Whelan since preschool and, while I would admit I was disappointed with the preschool, we have nothing but praise for it now. I have multiples so I have had the benefit of knowing more than one teacher in each elementary grade level -- and we've never had a complaint. The teachers are supportive and responsive to my questions and help us, as parents, to reinforce what we're trying to teach at home. The teachers have encouraged the creativity and individuality of my children (and simultaneous understanding their connectiveness), and encourage them to each learn at their own pace. I love the extended day! The principle is wonderful and the specialists (OT/PT/speech/etc.) have been fabulous to work with. The only things I dislike about Whelan are the constant PTA solicitations and early release on Mondays -- very hard for working parents.

Posted March 25, 2009
I like it that is dedicated to the performing arts. I also like the fact that there is physical education everday. Overall they have improved on there curriculum since they started the extended day program.

Posted January 06, 2009
The school is excellent, my daugther is on kindergarten and her teacher Mrs. Puppo is great. My little one loves and enjoy every single day. The extended day is great, they have more time to learn. I have been talking to another parents from different schools and they do not have the resources that our school has.

A. C. Whelan Elementary School 2

Posted January 04, 2009
I,too, had a son that attended kindergarten this year and was having trouble adjusting to such a large classroom size. I met with the teacher many time to try to work something out to help with the transition. She was very unhelpful. I took a week off work to observe what was happening in class and I found that the teacher was boring and had no creativity. My husband and I tried to see if our son could switch teachers and received no response from the asst. principal nor the principal. Also, I agree that they were too strict to allow for any individualism. We have since pulled our son from the school and he is thriving at his new school. So although the curriculum is great, I would not recommend this school.

A. C. Whelan Elementary School
107 Newhall Street, Revere, MA  02151
Last modified A. C. Whelan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
A. C. Whelan Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top