9-12 & Ungraded
Rockland, MA

Rockland Senior High School 1

Posted February 02, 2014
Rockland Senior High School has improved a bit in recent times, but there is a long ways to go before this can be considered even in the middle of pack among high schools in Massachusetts. MCAS scores are among the lowest in the state. The average SAT scores are also pretty woeful. The town has a reputation of not providing the schools the money needed to make their schools first-rate. The one bright sign was an override to improve the middle school building. That was a great success. But it takes a lot more to correct the structural problems that exist in the education portion. One other hopeful sign - with new housing developments comes a new population - hopefully they will care a lot more about education than the old guard currently running the town.

Posted December 18, 2013
Since the over-ride was passed and the new middle school was built along with renovations to the high school, things have drastically improved. Seems to be an influx of new, young families moving to town and the atmosphere is refreshingly live in and around the schools. Jay Retchless and other school leaders are doing a fantastic job getting Rockland schools on the upswing!

Posted August 29, 2013
I attended Rockland high and loved my experience there. I can speak of the teachers at the honors and ap level and they were phenomenal. I currently attend boston college for accounting and the math department at the highschool including mr cassagrande, mr. Dressler, and mrs. Hoffman prepared me well for high college level math.

Posted August 18, 2013
I myself did very well with my educational experience in the Rockland public school system. I attended the John Rodgers middle School as well as Rockland high school. I felt challenged academically in all of honors and ap classes. I felt a majority of the teachers and staff truly cared about the students and emphasized accountability for the work you put it. I applied and was accepted to many of the top notch universities in Boston. I attended northeastern university for both my undergraduate and graduate work and received my doctorate degree in physical therapy. As an undergraduate at Northeastern I felt my coursework in Rockland High prepared me for high college level math, English, and sciences. Recently I returned to highschool and was very impressed with the new middle school and renovated highschool which appeared similar to a college campus. The layout was very thought out and well executed!

Posted March 24, 2008
The reviewers before said it all, it's honestly what you make of. Because of the majority of unmotivated students, Rockland is a school that is harshly criticized. The English department is phenomenal, they deserve great recognition, as well as the Math department. I believe with the rise of certain groups such as Student Government, hopefully Rockland's growth and its true success will shine through the bright, accomplishing students.

Posted April 10, 2006
I think that any child that does not do well at Rockland High school is because he/she is not willing to work hard, and take advantage of all the programs this school has to offer. My child is a senior this year, and has been accepted to every University he has applied to with scholarships, both Merit based and need based. He has taken all AP and Honors classes and has done the work required. I know many parents who thought their child would do better at a 'Private' school like Spellmand or Archies and find the quality of education is not better and return here. I would recommend this school to any student, you get out of any school what you are willing to work for. I am not a huge fan of the principal, but my children are thriving.

Rockland Senior High School 3

Posted February 02, 2006
The staff does as good a job as it can with extremely limited resources. The town and State have cut the budget for 4 years straight, and may begin to add more money to the budget this year. The physical aspects of the school are in tough shape. The Principle is wonderful.

Rockland Senior High School 2

Posted July 19, 2005
My son went to ROckland High school. He was a senior in 2005. I was very unsatisfied with the quality of the education. The school was understaffed. Many teachers do not display a caring attitude. And most of all, I feel that many students are not properly disciplined. The school tends to often suspend children - I feel that suspension should be a last resort because it removes the child from the opportunity to get an education. Students are often seen smoking on campus and hanging out nearby at the local convience store. Many students cut classes because the school will record the absenses, however it is unlikely that they will follow up through communication with the parent. I my opinion I think there is a lot of illigal substance use by students. I believe that some of this is related to the lack of firm boundaries within the school.

Posted September 25, 2004
Rockland High is a good school depending on what your child makes of it, just like all schools. I am a senior this year, and I have been at Rockland High School since my eigth grade year. I have enjoyed my time in Rockland and have made many friends here. It really depends on what you and your child put into this school. The AP and honors programs here are excellent also. I hope you give it a chance.

Rockland Senior High School 2

Posted September 17, 2004
I am quite disapointed in Rockland High schools performance, they are on the states school watch list and I have had many foster kids and three of my own go to this school, one whom is in his senior year. Specifically I think the teacher trainings need to be updated. for instance, I don't know about now but one of my children had a spanish class tought by a russian teacher who couldn't speak very good english. I truely believe the principle should retire and alow a fresh new (outsider) take the position.

Rockland Senior High School
52 MacKinlay Way, Rockland, MA  02370
Last modified Rockland Senior High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rockland Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top