PK-8 & Ungraded
Roxbury, MA

Hernandez K-8 School 2

Posted June 22, 2014
This school was amazing under the previous leadership. Unfortunately there have been many changes recently and in the past couple of years things have gone in a direction that no longer resembles what the school used to be. The climate of "excellence" from everyone, the respect for the students and amazing use of resources is just not there anymore.

Posted February 24, 2010
This is an excellent school. Both of my children have gone here. The teachers, for the most part, are excellent. It's not perfect but if you compare it with other BPS schools, then it merits a 5 rating. They have an excellent after school program for very reasonable money. The participationn rate of parents is very big - on school nights they get 90% or over attendance which is unheard of in other schools. The dual-bilingual system is rare and they know how to do it. Highly recommend it.

Posted May 07, 2009
I have a child in the early grades, this is her fiest year in the school, I love the school

Hernandez K-8 School 1

Posted October 28, 2008
there is way too much gossip for a student to even concentrate on ones work...peer pressure and bullying is very strong among these students

Posted October 09, 2008
I am a parent of a child in the early grades - this is his first year in the school, and we are all loving it so far. My son's teacher is excellent - really creative, the kids all love her and they seem to really enjoy learning from her. The school gives you a really warm family-like feeling. The teachers and staff all go by first names, and they really make a point to learn the parents' first names as well. They make it easy to stay involved as a parent - providing lots of information re: curriculum and what the children are learning - they're big on expeditionary (hands-on) learning. They seem to communicate well with familes, which is a big thing for me, and I've been very pleased overall so far.

Hernandez K-8 School 4

Posted November 02, 2007
I am the parent of a child in the early grades. I've been impressed with the quality of teaching and with the sense of responsibility that teachers impart to the students. The two-way bilingual program is excellent and rare, and makes this school a true gem. I've downgraded it to 4 stars (rather than 5), only because, as a public school, it tends to have larger class sizes (22-25 students); this means that (1) a couple of disruptive kids can diminish the learning experience for a majority, and (2) teachers need to spend more time managing the classroom than in a smaller class. If compared exclusively to its public school peers, this school is a standout.

Posted April 27, 2006
While I am not a parent of a student at Rafael Hernandez School, I did intern there for a few months this year and I can tell you that this is an excellent community for children to be educated in. Teachers are caring, students are motivated to work hard, and the programs are designed in a meaningful way. I really enjoyed my time spent there, and if you are considering sending your child to this school, I would advise that you do so.

Posted January 19, 2005
I am a student at the Rafael Hernandez School. I am an 8th grader the teachers there are very caring and they know how to educate students. I have been there for 9 years. That school is very special because it is one of the only schools that are bilingual. My nephew also goes to the hernandez.

Hernandez K-8 School
61 School St, Roxbury, MA  02119
Last modified Hernandez K-8 School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hernandez K-8 School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top