Bad
Good

Posted September 04, 2014
The "Vets" is a school that I am proud to say my son attends. He began his schooling (grade 1-2) at OLA in Lynnfield and then we made the switch to public. I am proud to say I attended the old Vets school and this one is fantastic. It has all the latest and greatest amenities and offers a perfect learning environment for the children. My son loves it there and is sad that this is his last year at the school. I strongly encourage anyone considering Saugus to make sure you buy in the Vets school district.

Posted October 26, 2012
I was in the first class of the original Vet's school. It was built on a clay pit where my brothers and I used to play. It was pretty exciting to watch the. "steam shovels" fill in the Pitts and watch the school being built. We are spent the first half of 1st grade at the Felton School and then moved over to the Vet's when it was completed,,Mr Zeke Shuff was principal and my. Mom worked in the cafeteria. What a great bunch of teachers. It really was the best of times Ken O Connor

Posted September 01, 2010
We have had a great experience so far.. My son has been there since pre-k and is now in 1st grade. The principal has been so helpful and the teachers he has had have been awesome.

Posted August 13, 2008
I dont know what planet those last ratings came from. I have had to fight for every little accomodation for my children. If your child does not have profound disabilities watch out because there is nothing left in the buget for your child in this school system.

Posted March 28, 2008
Ther person who wrote that they spend too much money on teachers salaries and not enough on the kids is poorly misguided. Teachers are the lowest paid professionals to date, yet they chose to become teachers, not to be rich, but to make a difference. They have the most profound affect on the development of our children both mentally, emotionally, and morally - so when you say they don't spend enough on our kids, what exactly are you referring to? In my opinion, you could never pay a teacher enough for the gifts they give. We're not talking college professors here.

Posted January 03, 2008
We just moved to MA and our son goes to the Vets. He is in 2nd grade and I am very impressed with his teacher and progress so far. He has an IEP and for the first time my son is learning to read and doing well. Despite the budget cuts this is a wonderful school.

Posted January 02, 2008
Veterans Memorial School is a wonderful learning environment. Despite the horrible budget cuts and conditions throughout the town of Saugus, the Vet's staff pulls through once again! The teachers and paraprofessionals are amazingly committed to the education of all learners. Keep up the hard work, you deserve more!

Veterans Memorial Elementary School 3

Posted October 08, 2007
Overcrowded, The pricipal and teachers are great. they spend too much money on teachers salarys instead of the kids. This is the only new school in the district. the rest of the schools sre falling down.

Veterans Memorial Elementary School 4

Posted May 30, 2004
This brand new school is becoming overcrowded due to the closing of the Evans, and Ballard schools, teacher layoffs, and budget cuts beyond reason. There is plenty of money in this town, despite what town officials say. It's amazing that this school is still providing quality education, but thanks to it's excellent leadership by Victor Leone, and many well educated staff the school is 'making the grade' in both regular, and special education. Both of my children will be there for another 3-4 years.

39 Hurd Avenue, Saugus, MA  01906
Last modified Veterans Memorial Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.