PK-8 & Ungraded
Somerville, MA

Posted July 19, 2014
This is a great school with excellent teachers and there is a very active parent group as well.

John F. Kennedy Elementary School 2

Posted May 24, 2014
I've had experience working at all the schools in Somerville and I am puzzled that this school rates higher than others in the district, and maybe most specifically puzzled that it rates higher than Argenziano...this is a perfect example of how test scores are not everything. There is a really interesting mix at this school of underprivileged kids and students who have caring parents/parents who are really helicopter parents. There is IMO quite a bit of bullying here. There is no (and I mean ZERO) emphasis on building school culture. I think problems are for the most part ignored until it is too late. The school is unorganized and the kids sense it. The principal is retiring which is sad as I think she is very smart...but I do not enjoy the culture of this building. There will be a lot of turnover next year. Will be interesting to see what develops, I think there will be a lot of shiny new beginning teachers, we'll see how the test scores fare. The two teachers mentioned in the two comments below are fabulous, and there are some really great people on the staff but they are not encouraged to work as a team.

Posted May 09, 2013
My daughter is just finishing first grade in Ms Johnson's class and I am astounded at the progress she's made in reading and writing this year. At the start of the year Ms Johnson noticed my daughter was lagging behind her peers in her reading and provided extra help to her each week. My daughter initially found reading so challenging she said she would never be able to read and write like the other kids. Yet by the time of this writing, early May, she has progressed through reading levels A-H, and is ready for the next level. She now happily reads bedtime stories to her little brother and absolutely loves books. She also really enjoys writing little stories and making books of her own. She feels Ms Johnson really cares for her and she loves her school and especially the school library.

Posted May 09, 2013
My daughter is in Mrs Scrima's kindergarten class. I have never known a teacher more dedicated and more loving and above all respectful of the children as Mrs Scrima. She came to visit our home in the summer to get acquainted with my daughter and make her feel excited about school. She stayed two hours, playing with the children and helping us parents with the multitude of school forms. At school in the morning Mrs Scrima stoops at child level and greets each child by shaking their hand and saying their name. The child is respected like any adult. Mrs Scrima emails us a weekly schedule of upcoming events so we don't miss anything. My daughter is absolutely thriving and loves her teacher. We are so very fortunate she has such an amazing school to start her education.

John F. Kennedy Elementary School 0

Posted September 30, 2010
my daughter is very happy there !!!!! they must being doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy Elementary School 4

Posted November 09, 2008

Posted February 19, 2005
Both of my daughters attended JFKennedy School in Somerville. The teachers give them great ideas when they need help and keep in touch with parents. The principal will take care of any problems that arises...He also takes pride in his school as well as with parents..Students come first.When u visit the school u feel like u know everyone that works there..Everyone there is so friendly. Both of my daughters have good memories of their teachers and what they have leraned there has helped them in the outside world. One of my daughters is a sophmore at Lesley College and is on the Deans's List. My other daughter is a junior at Somerville High School and is a honor student... I just want to thank the JFKennedy School for helping them to where they got to today... working with us and our daughters as a team..... Thank You!

John F. Kennedy Elementary School
5 Cherry St, Somerville, MA  02144
Last modified John F. Kennedy Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John F. Kennedy Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top